Suburban Sign Laws

rocky top buzz

Story from the Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS01/606020394

What do you think about sign ordinances? I'm split on this. Where I grew up in GA, pole signs were not allowed, but in Smyrna/La Vergne, all signs, even for new structures, are about 10 feet up in the air on a pole. Brentwood has absolutely no pole signs. (Metro Nashville allows any signs except those with live animals? So I should slaughter the cow before plastering it on my steak restaruant sign. Great!)

I guess if I were making rules, I would allow tall pole signs near the interstate, but restrict them to low signs on city thouroughfares and residnetial area's. I know they aren't as obvious to shoppers, but who leaves home to go shopping and decides where to go based on the sign? Don't people normally plan where they are going? That may be a longshot for all I know...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I think we're long past due to start de-cluttering the landscape along our roadways. It surely won't kill these businesses to have things looking neat and aesthetically-pleasing to the eye. Once we're done doing that, perhaps we can also similarly start requiring businesses (out in the suburbs) to build up to the sidewalk in a more urban-styled fashion, too.

Story from the Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS01/606020394

What do you think about sign ordinances? I'm split on this. Where I grew up in GA, pole signs were not allowed, but in Smyrna/La Vergne, all signs, even for new structures, are about 10 feet up in the air on a pole. Brentwood has absolutely no pole signs. (Metro Nashville allows any signs except those with live animals? So I should slaughter the cow before plastering it on my steak restaruant sign. Great!)

I guess if I were making rules, I would allow tall pole signs near the interstate, but restrict them to low signs on city thouroughfares and residnetial area's. I know they aren't as obvious to shoppers, but who leaves home to go shopping and decides where to go based on the sign? Don't people normally plan where they are going? That may be a longshot for all I know...

I agree, pole signs should only be allowed around interstates. Broad street is a complete eyesore even more so than Old Fort Parkway. The signs obstruct vision and cause traffic hazards. I am anxious to see what Broad Street will look like once widened with underground utilities to seven lanes from Florence Road to Joe B. Jackson Parkway.

It's amazing how many sidewalks in the Smrna/Lavergne area lead to nowhere. Like the Bank of America off SamRidley is surrounded by sidewalks that connect to nothing. That's because nothing is developed next to them yet. I guess I should be glad they're required to have them, but it just looks dumb right now.

Archived