Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Roofs

4 posts in this topic

In the US, the predominant roofing material is asphalt shingles. With the exception of a few southwest areas and spanish tile roofs, and the occasional slate roof, it is almost always ashphalt.

Yet looking at pictures from other countries, you almost never see asphalt shingles. I know that ashphalt does not last as long, etc., etc., but being cheap to put in upfront you would think there would be some use of the material. Why is this?

In the US, the predominant roofing material is asphalt shingles. With the exception of a few southwest areas and spanish tile roofs, and the occasional slate roof, it is almost always ashphalt.

Yet looking at pictures from other countries, you almost never see asphalt shingles. I know that ashphalt does not last as long, etc., etc., but being cheap to put in upfront you would think there would be some use of the material. Why is this?

I've always thought about it as a cultural thing. Different cultures have always used materials based on what's most available in their particular region. Also, cost has to be taken into consideration. In some areas, it may be cheaper to use something other than asphalt shingles while we see asphalt shingles as a pretty cheap product. I do believe the Spanish tiles are pretty cheap in Mexico and other areas of Central and South America, and that's why they're on most buildings in those areas. The trend has carried over into the southwestern United States for cultural reasons, although Spanish tile roofing is considerably more expensive in this country than asphalt roofing.

This is the way I see it, whether or not that's really the case. I know I prefer to use asphalt shingles than metal roofing.

By the way, I think 3-tab shingles should be outlawed on any roof with less than a 6:12 pitch. Architectural shingles are the way to go, no doubt. They're thicker so construction flaws show up less, they last longer, and they just look better. The extra cost is worth it for the quality and beauty.

I've been seeing more and more metal roofs. Overall I've seen this used more out west but I've been seeing it a little more around my state as well. But I admit I've wondered about why we use the type of shingles we do here.

Wow, hi, first post from a noob here. I just discovered this place and honestly I'm not sure what it's all about yet. But here's a topic I can weigh in on.

Metal roofing is quickly growing in popularity in all construction segments. Of course it's already pretty substantial in light commercial construction but metal is making serious headway in residential roofing as well.

The Metal Roofing Alliance is a group of manufacturers who have pooled efforts to raise consumer awareness. Check out www.metalroofing.com

The company that I work for specializes in metal shakes, shingles, and tiles, specifically in aluminum with PVDF finishes. We're incorporating reflective pigments to get an Energy Star rating. The material is 98% recycled to begin with (mostly post-consumer) and entirely recyclable. Light weight, fire safe, incredibly durable and maintenance-free.

All that said, most homeowners choose it for the looks.

www.classicroof.com