Louisiana Speeding Crackdown

dimebag1980

Man, I love to speed. I love to speed more than most people I know. If I can get out on the open road and get that speedometer over 100, I feel free. It's an awesome feeling.

However, starting Monday, June 5, law enforcement across the state are going to be participating in the 100 Days of Summer Heat campaign, aimed at cracking down on speeding. This is the largest speeding campaign ever in Louisiana, and possibly beyond.

The only article I could find about this, on the fly, was from the Lafayette Daily Advertiser. Read and comprehend, as this knowledge can save you a lot of money and heartache.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../605260305/1002

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^If I told you I didn't speed, I'd be lying my butt off. I just like speed, always have. I normally play it safe on major highways and roads around New Orleans, especially when there's alot of traffic, but when I get out of the city, onto the wide open road, oh man. :D I guess I'll have to work on that this summer, because I can't say I'm a big fan of speeding tickets.

I travels in Louisiana has been rather limited. Although I did have a sister who lived in Beaumont Tex for a couple of years. Once I decided to drive back through Louisiana instead of Texas. Even though the road I took seemed much bigger than the one I usually travelled in Texas. But the speed limit was so much lower than the one in Texas. After that one trip, that added over an hour, I never drove through Louisiana to get down there or back. Of course my sister ended up moving so I haven't been back down there. I did drive through Shreveport that one time though.

Once I decided to drive back through Louisiana instead of Texas. Even though the road I took seemed much bigger than the one I usually travelled in Texas. But the speed limit was so much lower than the one in Texas. After that one trip, that added over an hour, I never drove through Louisiana to get down there or back.

The main reason for this is the quality of the roads. Most of Texas' roads are extremely smooth and well maintained, so trucks and cars going 80+mph is no problem, as it seems like as soon as a pothole opens up, it's filled. In Louisiana on the other hand, most of the major roads, especially I-10, suck. Going above 70 wouldn't be good for your car in the first place, and if trucks went as fast as they do in Texas, the roads would deteriorate even faster. Though most of I-49 and parts of I-20 are pretty nice.

Yeah you'd think we'd fix all the dips on I-10 between BR and NOLA. It's kinda fun in my truck, but I'd bet people bottom out all the time in cars going too fast.

Haha yea I've got a truck too and I know what you mean. :D Though I seriously have seen small cars that are very low to the ground lose tires and even entire front axle's in some of those infamous dips and holes in I-10 between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

Those dips on I-10 between BR and NOLA do need better maintenance. The problem is because some of the land is sinking in places.

And you add that to the fact that the Louisiana DOTD isn't exactly known for keeping the major roads in great quality, and you get what we have on I-10 between BR and NOLA.

They're playing with us. ;)

On a typical morning I'll pass at least 1-2 cops who are running radar. This morning, nothing. And I hit the road at 6:30 and didn't get to work until 8:00. Not a single cop running radar. The only two cops I saw were city cops (one in Shreveport and one in Blanchard) and neither of them was running radar.

Today was supposed to be the "big day." Pfffft.

They're playing with us. ;)

On a typical morning I'll pass at least 1-2 cops who are running radar. This morning, nothing. And I hit the road The entire state of Louisiana just forgot! :at 6:30 and didn't get to work until 8:00. Not a single cop running radar. The only two cops I saw were city cops (one in Shreveport and one in Blanchard) and neither of them was running radar.

Today was supposed to be the "big day." Pfffft.

I think I know what happened, it's pretty simple actually. The "100 Days of Summer Heat" must have been secretly changed to the "100 Seconds of Summer Heat" to save some green. So anyone speeding across the state between 12:00-12:01.40 a.m. was screwed! :silly:

Seriously though, I didn't see a single cop running radar today between Slidell or Covington, and I only saw two or three cops on the road on my quick trip over to Academy Sports in Slidell. But hopefully with this new massive shopping center starting construction in Covington soon, I won't have to drive that far to get some 9mm ammo. :whistling:

I think I know what happened, it's pretty simple actually. The "100 Days of Summer Heat" must have been secretly changed to the "100 Seconds of Summer Heat" to save some green. So anyone speeding across the state between 12:00-12:01.40 a.m. was screwed! :silly:

Seriously though, I didn't see a single cop running radar today between Slidell or Covington, and I only saw two or three cops on the road on my quick trip over to Academy Sports in Slidell. But hopefully with this new massive shopping center starting construction in Covington soon, I won't have to drive that far to get some 9mm ammo. :whistling:

That must be the Stirling Covington Center with Target in it!? I know where you can get ahold of a site plan if you're interested. ;)

Anyway, I'm not taking any chances with the 5-0 so I'm going to continue going under the speed limit. And damn that's hard for me to do!

That must be the Stirling Covington Center with Target in it!? I know where you can get ahold of a site plan if you're interested. ;)

Anyway, I'm not taking any chances with the 5-0 so I'm going to continue going under the speed limit. And damn that's hard for me to do!

Nope, that shopping center is mostly retail and restaurants, apart from the new movie theater that just opened up. I'm talking about the "Colonial Nor du Lac Lifestyle Center" which will be built just across from that shopping center on the opposite side of I-12. It is supposed to have a Dick's Sporting Goods in there somewhere.

And yea, I'm gonna stay under the speed limit too. I have a feeling that the cops are suddenly going to pop out of the bush's whenever I hit 71 on the interstate. ;)

Nope, that shopping center is mostly retail and restaurants, apart from the new movie theater that just opened up. I'm talking about the "Colonial Nor du Lac Lifestyle Center" which will be built just across from that shopping center on the opposite side of I-12. It is supposed to have a Dick's Sporting Goods in there somewhere.

And yea, I'm gonna stay under the speed limit too. I have a feeling that the cops are suddenly going to pop out of the bush's whenever I hit 71 on the interstate. ;)

Dick's!? Oh man, you guys suck. I love that store.

I've only seen mention of that shopping center once or twice, I believe from you. Sounds cool, though.

Dick's!? Oh man, you guys suck. I love that store.

I've only seen mention of that shopping center once or twice, I believe from you. Sounds cool, though.

I've actually never been to a Dick's, is it comparable in terms of what you can get there to Academy?

And the Nor du Lac "Lifestyle Center" is going to be a massive development, at least for Covington's standards. It is going to be larger in terms of size and stores than Esplanade Mall in Metairie, and will have more stores than Lakeside Shopping Center in Metairie, and will be about the same size. Many people believe that Covington could start to see many of the shoppers both from the north and south shores who used to go to Metairie to go to the malls there, as this new Lifestyle Center will offer a larger variety of stores and products.

I've actually never been to a Dick's, is it comparable in terms of what you can get there to Academy?

And the Nor du Lac "Lifestyle Center" is going to be a massive development, at least for Covington's standards. It is going to be larger in terms of size and stores than Esplanade Mall in Metairie, and will have more stores than Lakeside Shopping Center in Metairie, and will be about the same size. Many people believe that Covington could start to see many of the shoppers both from the north and south shores who used to go to Metairie to go to the malls there, as this new Lifestyle Center will offer a larger variety of stores and products.

Very comparable to Academy. They have a Dick's up in Champaign, IL, and I love the store. Academy is a great store and they're similar, but I want one here just for the name recognition. Everyone knows that brand, while Academy is a more regional brand (San Antonio-based) that less people know.

^Great! I'm looking forward to that store opening up here in Covington.

And yea, wasn't this thread supposed to be about speeding or something? ;)

Uh yeah, speeding.

I did a lot of that this morning. It took me an hour and 30 minutes to get to work, driving betweeb 70-80, since I had to pick my mother up and take her to work again. What a nightmare. I tried to drive slower when I first got out there, but I didn't see any cops and I needed to get moving. My radar detector works pretty well but there were no cops out there!

Well guys, it looks like there is a bill proposed for the state that would raise the speed limit on interstates in Louisiana to 75mph. I agree with most people around New Orleans in that I think we have some other bills that need to get taken care of in the state session first, most of which pertain to hurricane related things. But in the long term, if the DOTD could do a better job of just keeping care of the roads, I'd be behind it. I certainly don't mind legally going 5mph faster! ;)

Well guys, it looks like there is a bill proposed for the state that would raise the speed limit on interstates in Louisiana to 75mph. I agree with most people around New Orleans in that I think we have some other bills that need to get taken care of in the state session first, most of which pertain to hurricane related things. But in the long term, if the DOTD could do a better job of just keeping care of the roads, I'd be behind it. I certainly don't mind legally going 5mph faster! ;)

I wouldn't mind it either. :D

Archived