Image Watermarks?

Mobuchu

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What programs do you all use to watermark your images. I post so many pics that it's about time I started using one.

P.S. preferably free....

Since you're wanting to go the free route, I suggest looking into Gimp (run a search on Google for 'Gimp.') I'm not sure if you can do watermarks with this program, but since it's basically a watered-down version of Photoshop, it might have that feature. I know Photoshop has it, but Photoshop isn't free.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have the arcsoft software, but as far as I can tell you have to do 1 image at a time and cant save the watermark itself. Not fun when you have 60 pics to do.

I dont mind spending 10 bucks for a program, I just dont want to spend 50 for one that has 500 functions when I'm only going to use 1.

Let us know how that works out. I see more and more free/share ware out there so I know there is always another "cutting edge" software available every 6 mo. or so. Interested in how you find those services.

I use either GIMP, or ArcSoft PhotoStudio, which is included in the software bundle with any Canon camera. I prefer labeling my photos, but watermarking works for me too.

Mobuchu - this is the guy you need to ask about Gimp. :) He's the one who told me about it. I've always used Photoshop, but until my new computer is shipped to me in a couple of weeks, I'm stuck without using my full version (my current computer sucks.)

Anyway, NCB really seems to like Gimp so I think if you have any questions about using it, he would be a good source of information.

I use the GIMP quite often myself. Mainly because my primary OS now is Ubuntu and it comes with it. There is a lot of other graphics software that is free and works better than the commercial stuff you have to buy for windows. Ihighly recommend it.

I use the GIMP quite often myself. Mainly because my primary OS now is Ubuntu and it comes with it. There is a lot of other graphics software that is free and works better than the commercial stuff you have to buy for windows. Ihighly recommend it.

Interesting that Gimp comes with Ubuntu.

When I get my new computer I'll be keeping an open mind about operating systems. They're installing the latest version of Windows but I've heard good things about Ubuntu (that's Linux-based, isn't it?) as well as Firefox (which I believe to be Mozilla?) Anyway, I'd love to know the pros and cons of these operating systems versus Windows.

Interesting that Gimp comes with Ubuntu.

When I get my new computer I'll be keeping an open mind about operating systems. They're installing the latest version of Windows but I've heard good things about Ubuntu (that's Linux-based, isn't it?) as well as Firefox (which I believe to be Mozilla?) Anyway, I'd love to know the pros and cons of these operating systems versus Windows.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu is a completely different OS that replaces Windows entirely, and Firefox is just a different internet browser that can be run on any OS. I run Firefox on Windows, and I'm very happy with it. I haven't used IE once since I got Firefox. I've also heard good things about Ubuntu, and I've been looking into it a bit more recently.

Mobuchu - this is the guy you need to ask about Gimp. :) He's the one who told me about it. I've always used Photoshop, but until my new computer is shipped to me in a couple of weeks, I'm stuck without using my full version (my current computer sucks.)

Anyway, NCB really seems to like Gimp so I think if you have any questions about using it, he would be a good source of information.

Yea I use GIMP very often, and you can thank monsoon for that, he's the one who told me about it. Actually, I didn't even know about Firefox until I read through some of his posts recommending it over IE. :D

Firefox is an alternative to IE and highly recommended. There is a link to it on the bottom of Urbanplanet's pages. We recommend it because using IE is fairly risky as it opens your machine up to all kinds of attacks that are not present in Firefox. Firefox also has tabbed browsing, no popups (unless you want them for a site) and with the use of extensions all kinds of functionality can be added that simply doesn't exist in IE.

Just look at some of the Extensions for Firefox that you can add.

Ubuntu is a complete replacement for Windows. Its faster, it doesn't get virues, trojans, malware etc. It isn't crippled with DRM junk and there is an endless amount of "FREE" software for it. It is Linux based. You can install it on an existing Windows box and it will set itself up in dual boot mode where you can choose either OS at boot time. This lets you use it without giving up windows which you unfortunately paid for.

More at Ubuntu Website

I haven't used any in a while, but there are (or at least there were) some websites that would load your images and place your desired watermark on it, then give you a savable version of it with the watermark.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu is a completely different OS that replaces Windows entirely, and Firefox is just a different internet browser that can be run on any OS. I run Firefox on Windows, and I'm very happy with it. I haven't used IE once since I got Firefox. I've also heard good things about Ubuntu, and I've been looking into it a bit more recently.

My mistake. I thought, for whatever reason, that Firefox was an operating system. I will try Firefox on my new computer, though, and see if I prefer it over IE.

Firefox is an alternative to IE and highly recommended. There is a link to it on the bottom of Urbanplanet's pages. We recommend it because using IE is fairly risky as it opens your machine up to all kinds of attacks that are not present in Firefox. Firefox also has tabbed browsing, no popups (unless you want them for a site) and with the use of extensions all kinds of functionality can be added that simply doesn't exist in IE.

Just look at some of the Extensions for Firefox that you can add.

Ubuntu is a complete replacement for Windows. Its faster, it doesn't get virues, trojans, malware etc. It isn't crippled with DRM junk and there is an endless amount of "FREE" software for it. It is Linux based. You can install it on an existing Windows box and it will set itself up in dual boot mode where you can choose either OS at boot time. This lets you use it without giving up windows which you unfortunately paid for.

More at Ubuntu Website

Just curious, but are these attacks not present in Firefox just because no one has tried it, or is their security just that tight? I've run so many virus/adware/spyware/trojan scans on this computer, but Norton keeps blocking attempts daily. I'm all for something different that will not have these issues. Naturally I'll want to keep my virus protection up anyway, but any extra steps I can take will be great.

And thanks for the Ubuntu website. I'd linked to it from your signature before but it's been a while back and I couldn't remember much about it.

Just curious, but are these attacks not present in Firefox just because no one has tried it, or is their security just that tight?

Firefox has a very active development community that acts very quickly to release updates in response to new security concerns. Microsoft does not update the security on IE anywhere close to as often as Firefox. And yes, hackers generally target IE since it has the largest marketshare. If Firefox pulled ahead in marketshare though, and became the new preferred target, they are in a much better position to react to threats.

Again, thank you for the responses. I D/L Gimp off the net, It has so many uses that I need a couple hours to figure everything out. Its now pushing 5am and I need to go to bed, but maybe I'll figure it out later today. So I dont know yet but Im sure once I figure out how to use the program it will help tremendously. All of the other programs I used would not let me save the image/file.

As soon as I get this going I'll post a pic for you guys......

Archived