Fourth of July Fireworks '06

bwindi25

GR Fireworks  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should GR have 4th of July Fireworks '06

• Yes, it's good for downtown and I would pay $5
    • No, it's a waste of time & money
    • Let East Grand Rapids handle it

I LOVE the 4th of July fireworks downtown. I'm not sure how many years I've gone but remember going shortly after 1982 high school graduation when I first moved to a studio apartment in Heritage Hill. I brought my friends from Byron Center - the only fireworks we'd ever seen were in Dorr where the "grand finale" was the equivalent of one shot in Grand Rapids. We were awestruck. I've seen them in larger cities (Philadelphia, New York, Houston, Tulsa) but love the Grand Rapids show. The reflection off the river and the Amway towers is 2nd to none.

There are a lot of lower income people in the city and it's a really nice event to take the family to. When I lived on the Westside, our whole block of families would walk down together - it was the highlight of the summer for a lot of the kids whose parents couldn't afford amusement parks, Craig's Cruisers, movies at the cineplex, etc... Grand Rapids is the 2nd largest city in the State - you'd think we should be able to put on a fireworks display - it's embarrassing to think they might cancel it - COOL CITIES???

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, although, I have to say them canceling it has more to do with politics than $ the city is really trying to guilt trip a private developer into paying for the fireworks show. GR fireworks should be a mainstay. Especially with the place GR is taking when compared to Michigan cities. If Flint can afford a fireworks show. Then GR needs to get off of it's privitized butt, and do something for its citizens.

Details of Kettle's proposal for tomorrow's City Commission Meeting:

post-2672-1149541032_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1149541064_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1149541094_thumb.jpg

According to the second page,l it's a done deal: we will have fireworks. And they are reserving the option to charge admission (presuming they don't rake in a bunch of cash in the next few weeks).

I typed this in the other thread about the boom booms and Ill type it again: collect donations the way they do at the East Lansing Folk Festival. And I've been saving kitty litter jugs for the last month, just in case TPTB accept my offer to volunteer to do this.

When you see this happening, it says something about the value of ultimatums.

Maybe this could work for the city: "If somebody does't come up with some money, you're not getting any water this summer."

Although it didn't work with the Wyoming fire millage.

The sad thing is that, here a Ft Wayne based company (Centennial Wireless) steps up and does this great thing for a city where they are not even headquartered, and yet a small locally-headquartered company Meritage Hospitality (Wendy's and O'Charley's franchise owner) recently moved 200 yards across the E. Beltline in order to save a couple thousand bucks by not paying GR City Income Tax.

Sorry, I shouldn't be so negative.

Well dad you're right, it's kind of sad. But that brings up an interesting thought. Do you think that companies like Alticor and Meijer, have suburban locations to avoid city taxes. Is the city an expensive place to do business?

Well dad you're right, it's kind of sad. But that brings up an interesting thought. Do you think that companies like Alticor and Meijer, have suburban locations to avoid city taxes. Is the city an expensive place to do business?

Meijer is in Walker, which I believe has the same Income Tax as GR. Property taxes are also probably similar. Ada Township property taxes are cheaper, and with no city income tax.

I am glad that they are able to pull off the fireworks display this year. But, if they still had to charge admission for the show, I wouldn't mind giving a $5 donation.

Shhhh - Keep it a secret....

;) J/K of course. Maybe if there was a fee to get into prime viewing areas DT - we wouldn't have to worry about corporate sponsers swooping in and saving the day at the last minute.

I'd guess that the city income tax would generally hurt larger businesses more than smaller ones. Employees who work in the city have to pay city income taxes, usually even if they are not a resident. So larger businesses would have a tougher time attracting people who live outside of the city (which would be a greater need compared to smaller businesses).

The sad thing is that, here a Ft Wayne based company (Centennial Wireless) steps up and does this great thing for a city where they are not even headquartered,

What I know about competition in the wireless industry would not even fill a small town zoning code inspector manual, but...Centennial sees GR as a valuable market with plenty of opportunity for "churn" (folks switching carriers to get a better or different plan).

They got loads of exposure off the ice arena sponsorship, and for pennies per person they'll get a whole mess 'o publicity for this one. And there it sat waiting to be picked. They couldn't get a title sponsorship on the Detroit fireworks for less than probably $1M (not that they are in that market).

and yet a small locally-headquartered company Meritage Hospitality (Wendy's and O'Charley's franchise owner) recently moved 200 yards across the E. Beltline in order to save a couple thousand bucks by not paying GR City Income Tax.

Sorry, I shouldn't be so negative.

Aw, go ahead!

• 4 weeks later...

Fourth of July event seeks help

Organizers of next week's 4th of July festivities (DT, Ford Museum) are seeking nearly 100 volunteers to fill 3, 4, or 5-hour shifts on Tuesday (rain date July 5). All volunteers will receive an "appreciation gift bag" for their efforts. Call Ed Kettle of Fresh Coast Promotions at 791-0007.

I'm on for 6 pm-midnight. Ed said, "we'll call you next week to let you know where to park." I said no need.

Fourth of July event seeks help

Organizers of next week's 4th of July festivities (DT, Ford Museum) are seeking nearly 100 volunteers to fill 3, 4, or 5-hour shifts on Tuesday (rain date July 5). All volunteers will receive an "appreciation gift bag" for their efforts. Call Ed Kettle of Fresh Coast Promotions at 791-0007.

I'm on for 6 pm-midnight. Ed said, "we'll call you next week to let you know where to park." I said no need.

Even if you can't help, call Ed just to thank him for salvaging the show. I saw him on the pedestrian bridge to the Ford Museum a few weeks ago and talked to him a little. This is a big undertaking. Help him if you can.

Archived