bwindi25

GR Fireworks  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should GR have 4th of July Fireworks '06

• Yes, it's good for downtown and I would pay $5
    • No, it's a waste of time & money
    • Let East Grand Rapids handle it

Fourth of July event seeks help

Organizers of next week's 4th of July festivities (DT, Ford Museum) are seeking nearly 100 volunteers to fill 3, 4, or 5-hour shifts on Tuesday (rain date July 5). All volunteers will receive an "appreciation gift bag" for their efforts. Call Ed Kettle of Fresh Coast Promotions at 791-0007.

I'm on for 6 pm-midnight. Ed said, "we'll call you next week to let you know where to park." I said no need.

What's inside the gift appreciation bag? Er, appreciation gift bag?

BTW, I think it's fantastic that you cycle wherever you go.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched from here:

river.jpg

Watching the reflections in the AGP's mirrored side was almost better than the boom booms.

fw-4.jpg

More of my men-at-work series. (This is how paramedics deal with modern summer crowds. They had no customers.)

pedalmedics.jpg

Part of the opening ceremonies.

gov.jpg

That's me on the left, holding a yard sign saved from 2002. My new pal liked my Girls Can Do Anything button.

krd-gov.jpg

Wanted to watch, but closed so my boss could see the fireworks. (She said she's never seen them before.) Yesterday as she left she said she was just gonna go home and sleep rather than watch them. I was furious. To top it off, as I was closing the store, the alarms went off in an adjacent store, i got scared and left the store a mess after calling the cops =p But, hopefully next year.

And Veloise, if I were there that would be the exact spot I would have been at. The reflections in the Amway, especially that part of the Amway, has got to be the best part of the fireworks and is what would set GR fireworks apart from those in other cities. Just imagine that view next year, with the JW standing right next to it. Wow.

I went to the fireworks. It was like any year I've went, but it was kind of a moment where "wow this almost didn't happen." I chilled out on the Pearl Ionia ramp with my woman -- she liked it for being her first downtown fireworks celebration. I used the opportunity to introduce her to the architecture surrounding the ramp. She was impressed with GR, score.

Rant: I'm all for some openness and all that crap, but sometimes I just can't stand for the clientele the celebration brings in. To generalize: you know the type, the group of kids or young adults who are out of their element or suburban hood and and think it's OK to act 'ghetto' because they're downtown. So I screamed at them with my official tag: "I was downtown before it was cool -- beotches."

I went to the fireworks. It was like any year I've went, but it was kind of a moment where "wow this almost didn't happen." I chilled out on the Pearl Ionia ramp with my woman -- she liked it for being her first downtown fireworks celebration. I used the opportunity to introduce her to the architecture surrounding the ramp. She was impressed with GR, score.

I considered pedalling through the Burger King lot to see if you two were there.

I considered pedalling through the Burger King lot to see if you two were there.

:lol: I knew you or someone else would ponder the idea. Na, the last thing I wanted was fast food. Although, I'm the type of guy that eats anything -- the pallet isn't any of my concern. The Ms wanted something sophisticated with some ambience. She was pretty pissed at the idea of grabbing a quick bite, besides we were filled up on this Italian Soda drink we got at Beaners(?) or something like that. It's that outfit under McKay.

I was out of town so did not get to see the show. But, thanks to Ed Kettle for saving the day.

I was wondering though, since the $$ for this came in at the last minute, where'd they get the fireworks from? Thought you had to plan the show and get the fireworks far in advance?

I was out of town so did not get to see the show. But, thanks to Ed Kettle for saving the day.

I was wondering though, since the $$ for this came in at the last minute, where'd they get the fireworks from? Thought you had to plan the show and get the fireworks far in advance?

My wild guess: Zefarelli (sp?) had penciled GR in on their calendar last year. All that was missing was the money, and that was pretty well assured when permission was granted to (possibly) charge $5 admission.

I am also guessing that pyrotechnics professionals know that they'll be needed on July 4th, so it's not like they all made plans to go camping up north that day.

I, along with loads of other people near me, came under attack on the 4th!

We were on the Pearl St. Bridge and the wind was coming our way. I spent most of my time dodging flaming chunks of debris that was falling on us. It was kind of scary at some times when you'd get hit with big chunks.

A lot of people didn't have a very good time :(

Being the crazy person I am, I think that'd be fun. Maybe I'll head there next time xD

You know the old saying "it's all fun and games, until somebody gets their eye poked out"?

It held true.... kinda

I thought it was funny watching everyone dodge and scream, until I got some crap stuck in my right eye and had a hard time seeing for a couple hours. :cry:

Archived