Downtown residential projects update

Evergrey

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never cease to be amazed at how photogenic Pittsburgh is. It just looks like a place where I could wander around and get lost for days ...

I think it has something to do with the trees. All of these pictures have trees -- big trees for such an urban place. I see those big lush green shady trees, and Pittsburgh strikes me as a place where one might go to fall in love.

I'm a sap, yeah. :lol:

I agree...

A recent Elm Streets initiative is currently adding to this... several Pittsburgh neighborhoods are having hundreds of new trees planted to line the streets.

The city's parks are also great, with so new bike paths, green space, and riverfront trails being added.

E.V. Bishoff is going to go ahead with the residential conversion of the Commonwealth Building on 4th downtown once 75% of the condos in neighboring Carlyle (formerly Union Trust) are sold... 20 of 60 units have been sold in that structure despite interior demolition not having started yet... the Carlyle is expected to be occupied in 14 months... the Commonwealth Building will have 50-60 units... Bishoff is not sure if they will be rental or condo yet... if things go well... Bishoff may also develop the parking lot it owns on 4th

Commonwealth is the building in the middle... the Carlyle is on the right

54261621.jpg

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07085/772682-100.stm

E.V. Bishoff is going to go ahead with the residential conversion of the Commonwealth Building on 4th downtown once 75% of the condos in neighboring Carlyle (formerly Union Trust) are sold... 20 of 60 units have been sold in that structure despite interior demolition not having started yet... the Carlyle is expected to be occupied in 14 months... the Commonwealth Building will have 50-60 units... Bishoff is not sure if they will be rental or condo yet... if things go well... Bishoff may also develop the parking lot it owns on 4th

Commonwealth is the building in the middle... the Carlyle is on the right

54261621.jpg

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07085/772682-100.stm

• 1 year later...

A new and unfortunate update on downtown development. Riverparc has been delayed. Apparently it is just not economically viable right now.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08149/885315-85.stm

The bad news is that it seems the Cultural Trust has made the whole thing more difficult by trying to maintain control and getting in the way.

There is some hopeful news in the whole thing though:

In announcing the delay in the project Thursday, the trust said it will refocus on two shorter-term projects at the development site: securing government funding for a riverfront park and building new infrastructure to woo future housing development, including a parking garage

• 1 month later...

Archived