Best Neighborhood for Young Single People

RyanBT

Hi folks, I've been reading all your topics and am very impressed with honesty and thought put into your discussions. I would like to live in a neighborhood with these qualities: Close to downtown, cool architecture easy pedestrian travel/cycling (just don't kill me), decent nightlife and shopping. Or rather, what

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey RyanBT, glad to have you join us! Although I don't live in Columbia, I'm a big fan of the place (and hope to settle down there permanently sooner or later). Not sure which neighborhood would meet all of those qualities, but the Olympia/Granby mill villages are on an upswing.

Hey RyanBT, glad to have you join us! Although I don't live in Columbia, I'm a big fan of the place (and hope to settle down there permanently sooner or later). Not sure which neighborhood would meet all of those qualities, but the Olympia/Granby mill villages are on an upswing.

Thanks, I've been doing alot of research and olympia does look cool and pretty affordable, and hopefully I'll be making a scouting trip in a couple of weeks. Any bars/restaurants you recommend? I'm already going to the New Brookland Tavern to see the Band of Horses (cool sub pop band). I'm so over Myrtle Beach! The last two Bike Weeks did me in.

^LOL, I can understand.

As of now, there is no restaurant/bar scene in Olympia itself to speak of, but that's on the way, to be located on vacant parcels fronting the mills (Olympia and Granby). But the area is only a stone's throw away from the Vista and not far from the West Columbia activity strip either. Another forumer here, Waccamatt, resides in Earlewood; I'm sure he'll be here to promote his neighborhood shortly. ;)

I live in Rosewood and really enjoy this neighborhood. It's close to downtown (takes me 10 min or less to get to work), close to 5 points, devine st with it's shops and restaurants are just a few blocks over, and there are plenty of close retail areas, Woodhill , Forest Acres, and Garner's Ferry Rd. Rosewood is also culturally diverse, college students, old folks, young professionals, black, white, latino, you name it. It's also home to the Crawfish Festival which was a huge success this year.

^LOL, I can understand.

As of now, there is no restaurant/bar scene in Olympia itself to speak of, but that's on the way, to be located on vacant parcels fronting the mills (Olympia and Granby). But the area is only a stone's throw away from the Vista and not far from the West Columbia activity strip either. Another forumer here, Waccamatt, resides in Earlewood; I'm sure he'll be here to promote his neighborhood shortly. ;)

......zooooooooom. OK it took me awhile. I've been car shopping and have more questions than answers at this time. That aside, I love the Earlewood area. I've also lived in Cottontown and the Five Points area and loved it down there, too. If your main mode of transportation is bike and if your budget is somewhat limited I would suggest Waccamaw Avenue near Five Points. There are alot of 1920's era quadraplexes on Waccamaw (yes, I used to live down there and my screen name came from that) and they are amazingly affordable. The problem with Olympia (also affordable) is that it is a much longer bike ride to restaurants, shops and the grocery store. If your budget can afford it I would highly recommend either the Vista, Earlewood Park, Elmwood Park, Cottontown or Shandon. Rosewood is pretty affordable, too.

Ryan, welcome to UP and Columbia.

Thanks, I've been doing alot of research and olympia does look cool and pretty affordable, and hopefully I'll be making a scouting trip in a couple of weeks. Any bars/restaurants you recommend? I'm already going to the New Brookland Tavern to see the Band of Horses (cool sub pop band). I'm so over Myrtle Beach! The last two Bike Weeks did me in.

Hi Ryan! Welcome. I may be at the Horses show. Solid band! Now if we could just get Sam Beam back here for a show...

After considering the cues I'm picking up on in your post I'm gonna recommend that you check out the Cayce/West Columbia area or look near the city center -- Main Street or the Vista. Neighborhoods like Olympia and Rosewood are really on the rise and may be more appropriate down the road, but I don't think they will immediately satisfy.

I can be very specific if you care to answer a few questions...

1. You are looking to rent... Is that right?

2. If you are renting, would you prefer a house or apartment situation? And would you like the unit to be within the context of existing neighborhood or in a complex with amenities?

3. What's your price range/rental budget?

Thanks, man! And welcome again!

Hi Ryan! Welcome. I may be at the Horses show. Solid band! Now if we could just get Sam Beam back here for a show...

After considering the cues I'm picking up on in your post I'm gonna recommend that you check out the Cayce/West Columbia area or look near the city center -- Main Street or the Vista. Neighborhoods like Olympia and Rosewood are really on the rise and may be more appropriate down the road, but I don't think they will immediately satisfy.

I can be very specific if you care to answer a few questions...

1. You are looking to rent... Is that right?

2. If you are renting, would you prefer a house or apartment situation? And would you like the unit to be within the context of existing neighborhood or in a complex with amenities?

3. What's your price range/rental budget?

Thanks, man! And welcome again!

1. I am looking to rent. However, I'm 25 now and will most likely look to buy a house before I'm 30.

2. House if possible, absolutly hate complexes, they make me feel boxed in like I'm living in a hive. An apartment within a house will do as well. My younger brother will be coming along, provided he can find a decent cooking job. He's a trained chef w/ a degree, works at the Divine Fish House here in Murrels Inlet. That's really a whole nother topic though. I'm a waiter right now for the Bone Fish Grill, will transfer to one of the columbia stores.

3. If its just me, then I can afford up to $650, but would like at least a 2 bed for that. If its me and my bro, then we top out at around 1000. We're used to paying overpriced beach rent.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Belhaven/Fondren area of Jackson,Ms or Midtown/Cooper Young area of Memphis Tn, but thats what I'm really used to and what I'd like to have again: cool, cheap old, arty neighborhoods with sidewalks (!) (there are no damn sidewalks in the neighborhoods in Surfside) & close enough to downtown anmenities to where I rarely will have cause to drive to the suburbs.

Thanks alot. I've learned more in this one day of reading Urban Planet than I have trolling through Google and Wikipedia for 2 months. You guys rule.

/ Band of Horses rock. I saw them open for Sam Beam and Co. in Charleston a year ago. good show! Go see Lucero too later in the month. Great Memphis band.

The awesome lofts at the Olympia and Granby Mills start at $1000 a month; I would highly recommend them. You may even be able to get a place at Vista Lofts for $1000 a month. I've been in them and they are very nice and in a really good location in the heart of the Vista. You could also rent alot of houses in any of the mentioned neighborhoods - you can get alot of house or apartment for $1000 a month in Columbia.

1. I am looking to rent. However, I'm 25 now and will most likely look to buy a house before I'm 30.

2. House if possible, absolutly hate complexes, they make me feel boxed in like I'm living in a hive. An apartment within a house will do as well. My younger brother will be coming along, provided he can find a decent cooking job. He's a trained chef w/ a degree, works at the Divine Fish House here in Murrels Inlet. That's really a whole nother topic though. I'm a waiter right now for the Bone Fish Grill, will transfer to one of the columbia stores.

3. If its just me, then I can afford up to $650, but would like at least a 2 bed for that. If its me and my bro, then we top out at around 1000. We're used to paying overpriced beach rent.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Belhaven/Fondren area of Jackson,Ms or Midtown/Cooper Young area of Memphis Tn, but thats what I'm really used to and what I'd like to have again: cool, cheap old, arty neighborhoods with sidewalks (!) (there are no damn sidewalks in the neighborhoods in Surfside) & close enough to downtown anmenities to where I rarely will have cause to drive to the suburbs.

Thanks alot. I've learned more in this one day of reading Urban Planet than I have trolling through Google and Wikipedia for 2 months. You guys rule.

/ Band of Horses rock. I saw them open for Sam Beam and Co. in Charleston a year ago. good show! Go see Lucero too later in the month. Great Memphis band.

And a big welcome from me too, Ryan! From the details above I suggest either Cornell Arms (highrise at the corner of Sumter and Pendleton Streets) or one of the houses broken into apartments along Greene Street between Pickens and Five Points. Either of these locations are convenient by bike, walking, and/or bus to both Main Street and Five Points. They are 'young people' oriented and are right in your budget.

Good luck to you where ever you decide to 'lite'. You realize, of course, we all will be very curious about your decision once it is made.

Right on, I'm going to check out all that. I'm going to try to get to Columbia first of August, hopefully there will still be some good places left. Really, pretty much every place y'all have mentioned sounds good so I'm glad there's lots of options and not just one "good" neighborhood like my ghetto hometown of Jackson, Ms (still love it, just too much crime and low wages).

I like these forums, they have a real positive attitude that I appreciate. Its easy to sit around and hate on wherever you live, alot harder to try to get something together or at least appreciate whatever good things a place has to offer. Anyway, when I do get out there and settled, I owe y'all a few rounds of drinks. Urban Planet party!

• 3 weeks later...

*Update* Hey guys, just got back from Cola and it was FUN TIMES! I thought that it was going to be cool, but I was blown away. Blake ( my brother, also moving) and I stayed at the Claussen's Inn on Green St and shopped all over five points. You guys have it going on, with a great record store, gourmet wine and cooking equip. store, good coffee (Bad Ass Coffee is my personal fav, with the coffee shop next to the New Brookland Tavern coming in close second), fun bars, good restuarants (rhino room and Mr. Friendlys impressed me).

We looked at a little brick hourse on Kincaid Ct that we liked. I loved the area south of Divine and North of Rosewood (Shandon?) esp. around Hand Middle School. There is no 3 bedroom lofts available. My friend, Amanda, is moving down here from Ft. Wayne, In so now there search is on a 3 bed/2 bath. We'll be back applying for jobs and house hunting after the 4th.

North of Rosewood is Shandon... The area around Hand is a good one, and there are rental properties there... I dont know specifically where they are, but you might want to try asking around at some rental companies for rental houses. I had a friend of mine who lived in Shandon, but closer to Publix, in duplex. Its a great area.

Just think, you've done all that, and you haven't even been to the Vista yet :)

Archived