Five Points

mr. chips

I have not seen any recent discussion here about Five Points. Five Points has the potential to be one of the most "interesting" and unique areas of the city, and I am rather disappointed with what I am seeing emerging from the recent construction projects there. Aesthetically it is not very appealing. There are some nice aspects (eg the planted median on Harden), but I am saddened that the whole thing doesn't look more creative and inviting. For example, the central area on Saluda could have been jazzed-up somehow (a water feature? pedestrian zone? a central sculpture garden?). Take a look at the mass of ugly concrete on the rounded edge of the recently completed median near the fountain on Saluda. Not very appealing. Five Points would be a great place for more outdoor cafes, but the sidewalks on Devine do not seem to be wide enough or very pedestrian friendly, and they are not even all brick, which would have had a much nicer look. I know this was a big project but it reminds me of the saying that "a camel is a horse designed by committee".

I was in Five Points last weekend, but it's somewhat hard for me to make a judgment until the streetscaping is completed. It's still pretty much a mess and will be that way until November/December.

Yeah,I can't make it out either. I was hoping the project would be finished before december.I love the vibe of 5pts.But a nice sculpture garden would be nice.

Yeah,I can't make it out either. I was hoping the project would be finished before december.I love the vibe of 5pts.But a nice sculpture garden would be nice.

Hang in there a little longer. I too have had come criticism of Five Points, but in all fairness we really need to wait just a little longer. The worst thing I have seen is the wait for the trees to start to give good shade.

I have not seen any recent discussion here about Five Points. Five Points has the potential to be one of the most "interesting" and unique areas of the city, and I am rather disappointed with what I am seeing emerging from the recent construction projects there. Aesthetically it is not very appealing. There are some nice aspects (eg the planted median on Harden), but I am saddened that the whole thing doesn't look more creative and inviting. For example, the central area on Saluda could have been jazzed-up somehow (a water feature? pedestrian zone? a central sculpture garden?). Take a look at the mass of ugly concrete on the rounded edge of the recently completed median near the fountain on Saluda. Not very appealing. Five Points would be a great place for more outdoor cafes, but the sidewalks on Devine do not seem to be wide enough or very pedestrian friendly, and they are not even all brick, which would have had a much nicer look. I know this was a big project but it reminds me of the saying that "a camel is a horse designed by committee".

Be patient, my friend. Another large fountain is going to be installed on Saluda Avenue at the opposite end from the existing fountain, near the WW1 memorial. The pace of completion has been agonizingly slow, but the renderings I've seen for the completed project look good. I want to see what the rest of the medians look like before I decide if I like it or not. I like the camel quote.

Has anyone on this forum ever posted a rendering of Five Points's master plan? I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure someone with the Five Points Merchants Association could tell you where to get a copy if its not on their website. I don't remember seeing it discussed on here, but the master plan includes lots of infill development with condos and apartments, all right down there in the immediate Five Points area. That in itself promises to be a boon for the capital city.

Does anyone think a very nicely designed theater would do well in 5pts?

theater as in movies or plays?

I think any movie theater with current movies that is within walking distance of USC would do well... it would need to have at least 4 screens though.... so where could it possibly go?

theater as in movies or plays?

I think any movie theater with current movies that is within walking distance of USC would do well... it would need to have at least 4 screens though.... so where could it possibly go?

the old Food Lion Shopping Center is the first thing to come to mind.

true but the FOod Lion is only a portion of that property. I don't think the rest of that outdated strip mall would be missed.

That entire strip mall has been renovated. Office Depot and Pet Supplies Store are next to the Food Lion and are nice stores that are needed in that area. Perhaps they can make room behind the Hardee's or raze the fast food joint all together for it.

That entire strip mall has been renovated. Office Depot and Pet Supplies Store are next to the Food Lion and are nice stores that are needed in that area. Perhaps they can make room behind the Hardee's or raze the fast food joint all together for it.

I would rather see a multi screen theater on the west side of Richardson (Main) Street in that awful open parking lot that is taking up valuable space and looking like a cancer. Put several levels of parking underground and construct the theater with several levels above ground if necessary. Oh, yes, and NO blank walls facing the sidewalk! Street level should be the theater lobby and retail. A theater there could conveniently serve Five Points, Richardson Street, and the Vista.

PS..... That whole 'strip mall' thing in Five Points looks crappy! It should be torn down and rebuilt with the shops up close to the sidewalk. Parking could be in the rear and out of sight. Let the suburbs have all of the ugly parking lots and strip malls. Let's make Columbia look like the city that it is.

Edited by Doug L

If you look at the great aerial photo of Five Points on the UrbanPlanet Columbia Home Page you will notice that the large piece of un-used property right in the middle of this urban oasis is the parking lot next to Kenny's. What a shame that this land can't be used in a better way to contribute to the village identity of Five Points. Wouldn't it be great if that property could house some small shops, restaurants, maybe a little pedestrian zone with a plaza in the middle? Parking garage below the surface, apartments on top. That would add greatly to this unique part of Columbia!

If you look at the great aerial photo of Five Points on the UrbanPlanet Columbia Home Page you will notice that the large piece of un-used property right in the middle of this urban oasis is the parking lot next to Kenny's. What a shame that this land can't be used in a better way to contribute to the village identity of Five Points. Wouldn't it be great if that property could house some small shops, restaurants, maybe a little pedestrian zone with a plaza in the middle? Parking garage below the surface, apartments on top. That would add greatly to this unique part of Columbia!

That's a great idea; you should be a developer.

I agree completely! The only problem is that I don't think you can do an underground garage in Five Points. Five Points was built on an old swamp.

You can build a garage up though... and you can have shops on the ground level and a facade that blends into the city without having an ugly parking garage messing things up.

Perhaps something like that will be done once the Town Centre at Forest Acres is finished and that developer starts looking for other opportunities in the Columbia market.