Five Points

mr. chips

Driving home today, I was so happy to see demolition of the Greyhound terminal underway!! Now, I've not seen renderings of the apartments, but I'm willing to say they will be a major upgrade from a bus station. If anyone has any renderings, apart from the drawings presented to the city for zoning, please share. I believe we can all begin to get excited about this project and its potentially transformative impact on this stretch of Gervais.   

I will have to find it again because there was one rendering I got about this site but im not sure if it had change or not.

• 3 months later...

Well, they have signage at the site of Peak Development's student housing project on Gervais and Harden, calling the project "The Station at Five Points". I googled to find a website, but see nothing up yet, save a help wanted ad for a leasing agent. Great story in the State today too, about the increase in students to our downtown.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Station at Five Points is moving along at a good clip. I pass it most days on my way to or from work. They have also recently put up a billboard with a rendering, which I otherwise only found through Googling the project name and clicking on some random link. If anyone has that rendering, please post it here. I like the brick. 

We actually should have a thread containing all project renderings currently underway or those about to be.

• 1 month later...

Master's Cleaners has been torn down, and Skeebo's Exxon station has been sold: what will these changes hold for Five Points? Also, have to toot the horn for "Nicky's"- that is some of the best NY style pizza I've ever had. The day I went they had a lunch special- 2 slices and a drink for $5.50-can't beat it!

Master's Cleaners has been torn down, and Skeebo's Exxon station has been sold: what will these changes hold for Five Points? Also, have to toot the horn for "Nicky's"- that is some of the best NY style pizza I've ever had. The day I went they had a lunch special- 2 slices and a drink for $5.50-can't beat it!

No way! That Exxon has been an eyesore for years and really brings the area down in terms of walkability. A restaurant would be great there, especially if they build an outdoor patio toward the edge of the corner.

• Like 1

Since we're on the topic, I haven't seen any photos of flooding in 5 Points. Since that area usually gets hit badly due to the buried creek, does anyone know if it suffered much damage?

I've been scouring for days and can't find anything. I'm assuming if it was bad we'd see some pictures at this point. Or perhaps it's not as bad relative to other parts of the city? I read that Rocky Branch was one of the most flooded areas...

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't really explain that very well... but it makes sense that Rocky Branch is a smaller, more urban basin and is therefore more susceptible to flooding in downpours. Since it was a lot of rain over several days, it would be consistent with the reports of flooding downstream, towards Whaley/Assembly at the railroad tracks. I think the other important thing to consider is that Gill Creek got something like 5-10 inches more than Rocky Branch, so the fact that it had way more rain and has a larger basin/catchment area is key to its flooding issues.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

The approval seems like a no-brainer. I don't know that anyone would want to live right on Harden, but it might be a decent space for offices.

Yep. You have entrepreneurs willing to take a risk on that block. Do it, and do it now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The parking variance for the strip on Harden across from the Office Depot strip mall was approved. There is nothing to really connect to on that side of the street, but with the new apartments going up at Gervais and Harden, they would provide a nice filler for the area between that corner and the rest of Five Points.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article64766252.html

• Like 1