Five Points

mr. chips

• 2 weeks later...

Rode by the condos at Harden and Gervais earlier this week.  They have really made progress from the last time I made by, with the main entrance now nearly complete.  It looks like it will be a nice looking addition once the landscaping fills in.  I could see that being another catalyst for that area.

Edited by ColaFan

36 minutes ago, ColaFan said:

Rode by the condos at Harden and Gervais earlier this week.  They have really made progress from the last time I made by, with the main entrance now nearly complete.  It looks like it will be a nice looking addition once the landscaping fills in.  I could see that being another catalyst for that area.

The group that is redeveloping the abandoned properties across from Food Lion cited the prospect of students living diagonally across Harden as a reason for extending development up the street from Five Points. The only challenge with further developing the area is NIMBYism from adjoining neighborhoods. 

Anyone know what the cost of repainting/renovating rail bridges is?  The rail bridge above Gervais near Harden is one that comes to mind but there are several in the downtown area that could use a coat of paint.

I know that generally would be on the railroad, but seems like they might be a good neighbor or city or university could contribute.  I think it might help the feel of the area to get these looking a little neater and less like its a run down area.

The block or two from five points to the road on which Capstone sits has an unsavory appearance based in part on that rusty bridge and the carwash.  The buildings on the other side aren't the best either.  Seems like a natural progression for business district with law school coming online and the new condo.  I think people might like to walk up gervais, but not sure that is something that would be that appealing right now.

It depends on what needs to be done to it. Assuming no structural issues and just the cost of paint and labor, probably less than $100k depending on the paint. When it comes to work on railroad related stuff, you'd most likely have to hire a flagger from the railroad company for however many days it takes to do the work, and that gets really expensive.

It's a good idea though. That bridge is terrible and a fresh coat of paint would do wonders for the visual aesthetics of that area.

• 2 months later...

The Five Points Association broke ground yesterday on Centennial Plaza, planned for the intersection of Blossom Street and Congaree and Santee avenues. A continuation of the celebration of Five Points’ centennial in 2015, the plaza will include a 6-foot rotating water feature and a bronze stature of Jack Van Loan, former Five Points Association president who oversaw drastic improvements in the district.The finished plaza will be unveiled on Nov. 11.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/government/70497/ 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Developers are planning to convert the former Inn at Claussen’s Bakery in Five Points into apartments.

Records filed with the city of Columbia’s Design/Development Review Commission show that a development group called Styx Claussens LLC plans to convert the historic building into 29 “boutique” apartments.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article221216815.html

• 4 months later...

The city of Columbia has purchased the six-story state office building at 2221 Devine St. in Five Points and is marketing it to hotel developers.

The $3.8-million purchase includes 330 much-needed parking spots, according to City Council member Daniel Rickenmann, who has spearheaded the effort.

Rickenmann said there have been more than a dozen responses to the city’s request for proposals to develop a hotel, with one developer even pitching a second tower on the site. It would be the first and only hotel in Five Points since the Inn at Claussen’s Bakery closed following the 2015 floods..

“We’re looking for a high quality brand to anchor that end of Five Points,” he said. “We’re very excited about the quality of people asking about it.”

New hotel, more parking planned for Five Points - The State

• 1 month later...

I thought this was worth mentioning. Five Points bars are being sued; many will likely close and new ones aren't likely to open - at least not as college bars.

https://www.wistv.com/2019/06/24/growing-number-five-points-bars-face-food-fight-court-facing-loss-liquor-licenses/

I don't think it will affect Five Points that much - the biggest offenders don't open until late anyway. The bar for being a "restaurant" is pretty low as it is - all they would need to do is open for lunch and dinner and have some good cheap food.

15 hours ago, Spartan said:

I thought this was worth mentioning. Five Points bars are being sued; many will likely close and new ones aren't likely to open - at least not as college bars.

https://www.wistv.com/2019/06/24/growing-number-five-points-bars-face-food-fight-court-facing-loss-liquor-licenses/

I don't think it will affect Five Points that much - the biggest offenders don't open until late anyway. The bar for being a "restaurant" is pretty low as it is - all they would need to do is open for lunch and dinner and have some good cheap food.

Love the “restaurant” with a microwave and panini press.  Glad to see some of these bars being shut.  This village has a great opportunity to re-purpose some of these buildings into cool spaces that cater to Carolina.  

• 3 months later...

New direction for Five Points....they are phrasing this as a revitalization which I think is a little liberal.  Five Points doesn’t need a revitalization as much as maybe a direction/purpose.  This is one of the best organic urban villages in SC.  Carolina and the neighbors need to help define what they want this area to be and then adjust the ordinances accordingly.....sounds like this is the direction they are taking.  One interesting comment centers around permitting, that should be an easy fix.

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/government/77453/?utm_term=Five Points leaders present plan to revitalize district&utm_campaign=Five Points leaders present plan to revitalize downtown district&utm_content=email&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I read the article about the Five Points reinvestment strategy. The City's policies and fees etc. may indeed be a barrier, but Five Points has succeeded for many decades in spite of that. I think the problem is that the reputation and success of this place has been as USC's bar district. The old people finally got what they wanted and the bars are gone (or in the process of getting kicked out) and now they complain it doesn't feel right. IMO a downtown or "college town" vibe is exactly what this place should be and to strive for something different, especially without defining what that direction is, will probably be disappointing.

10 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Yes, but a "college town" vibe should have bookstores, coffee shops, bookstores, home-grown restaurants, bookstores, art shops, bookstores, nice places to sit and talk, tea rooms, bookstores, etc. Five Points has some of that - it needs more.

Edited by mr. chips

• 4 months later...

www.postandcourier.com/columbia/former-yesterdays-in-columbia-slated-to-get-historic-refit-become-multi-tenant-space/article_2568d420-074d-11eb-a5ff-5f4875dfcf53.html  I will forever miss Yesterday's, but I am very interested to see how this turns out. I've always loved the building's architecture, and its prominent positioning in Five Points.   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

“In working with the city of Columbia, we have a number of folks interested in developing [the former Wells Fargo bank branch] property,” [state Sen. Dick Harpootlian] said, and a group of local business owners hold the option to buy the property.

Columbia Councilman Will Brennan, whose district includes Five Points, said the potential developers have shared a rough draft of their plans for the site, which could include ground floor retail with offices above and a boutique hotel.

A parking garage is also part of discussions, as studies have shown anywhere from 60 to 200 spaces could have a major impact on bringing in visitors previously deterred by having to circle the block in search of a spot.

Under the senator’s proposal, the developer of the Wells Fargo property and others would receive the same 25 percent property or income tax credit allowed under statute for abandoned buildings. The credits usually last five to eight years, depending on whether its applied to income or property.

Even without the tax credit, Brennan is confident the office building will be put to new use. He said the city has received half a dozen proposals from developers for its use, which council is expected to review in June.

https://www.postandcourier.com/columbia/business/tax-credits-aimed-at-five-points-redevelopment-targeting-former-wells-fargo-building/article_76ef6638-af31-11eb-b737-875cf40a6b39.html