Five Points

mr. chips

I'll try to get some pics posted of the little sugar creek greenway that is being done up here in Charlotte. The creek is very simmilar to Rocky Branch. If Cola would do something simmilar, they could tie it into the three rivers greenway, and really get a great system going...

The plan definitely is to tie everything together as part of a city-wide river trails/bike trails/pedestrian-friendly system. I have seen articles about it. It will just take time and a whole lot of money.

The plan definitely is to tie everything together as part of a city-wide river trails/bike trails/pedestrian-friendly system. I have seen articles about it. It will just take time and a whole lot of money.

I really like the idea of urbanizing Rocky Branch Creek attractively and incorporating it in the walking/biking trail system that is started here in Columbia.

I really like the idea of urbanizing Rocky Branch Creek attractively and incorporating it in the walking/biking trail system that is started here in Columbia.

I agree. Can you imagine riding your bike from Magy Gregg Park in Five Points all the way to the Congaree River around Olympia and up towards the zoo all on a scenic trail. :w00t:

I agree. Can you imagine riding your bike from Magy Gregg Park in Five Points all the way to the Congaree River around Olympia and up towards the zoo all on a scenic trail. :w00t:

Riding a bike??? Maybe a moped. :) I think I'd need a little gasoline engine help there...that's quite a ways.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the meters will kill 5pts. I don't go down there anymore because of them, and I know an awful lot of people who don't go for the same reason.

Well, that's not completely true. I've been to Andy's Deli a few times, but parking is free there.

I've heard that the city barely breaks even on the meters. It'd be nice if they did away with them altogether.

I think the meters will kill 5pts. I don't go down there anymore because of them, and I know an awful lot of people who don't go for the same reason.

Well, that's not completely true. I've been to Andy's Deli a few times, but parking is free there.

I've heard that the city barely breaks even on the meters. It'd be nice if they did away with them altogether.

If we ever want to compete with the 'burbs we MUST dump the parking meters!

The problem is that many cities see parking meters as a source of revenue, and Cola is no different. Where the city actually loses money on these meters is during the day when business traffic is sparcer. I'm sure the city was tempted to account for parking meters at night, but Five Points would surely lose business and patronage.

I hate meters...this Cola officer gave me a ticket for being 5 minutes over when I stepped into Quizno's at Five Points. I paid for 5 minutes, was in the place for 10 minutes. Ridiculous for certain.

If the city is barely breaking even on these meters, it is preposterous to keep them.

The problem is that many cities see parking meters as a source of revenue, and Cola is no different. Where the city actually loses money on these meters is during the day when business traffic is sparcer. I'm sure the city was tempted to account for parking meters at night, but Five Points would surely lose business and patronage.

I hate meters...this Cola officer gave me a ticket for being 5 minutes over when I stepped into Quizno's at Five Points. I paid for 5 minutes, was in the place for 10 minutes. Ridiculous for certain.

If the city is barely breaking even on these meters, it is preposterous to keep them.

I would be very surprised if meters hurt five points. Its already a popular place to go. The meter's may drive away a few people, but it helps businesses by keeping parking space turnover high. It will ultimately benefit the businesses down there. Think about it this way, in a concert or a sporting event, you always pay more for the best seats. Parking should act in a similar way. If you want a free spot, you should not be able to locate in front of your desination. You should have to park far away. (the Food Lion has ample free parking.) But if you are willing to pay for it, you should be able to get a decent spot. It also creates a certain equality among all metered spots. You are more willing to take the first spot you see rather than circle around endlessly searching for that free spot. I won't act like I dont circle for a spot from time to time, but I know that if it was all meters, I wouldn't think twice about taking the first spot I come to.

Think about it this- if we payed for parking the same way as we pay for every other mode of transportation, we might give mass transit more serious consideration as a society, as that would actually be a more cost effective way to travel (since you don't have to store a vehicle anywhere when you ride the bus!).

I think that people are spoiled by free parking. It serves no purpose to have it. Cars are by far the most highly subsidized mode of transportation in America, and your posts above exemplify that. We as a society expect too much free parking, IMO.

^ I understand having meters in general, but my major complaint is the amount of time allowed on them, and how the tickets are administered. At least at sporting events, you don't have to worry about getting a ticket if you sit there for a certain amount of time. I was held up in Quizno's to get lunch, and I had to wait for other customers and the cashier. As a result, I had to pay 7 f***king dollars because I was 5 minutes late getting back to my car. This is ridiculous...and it hurts business. I have no desire to eat at Quizno's on Harden, and the business can blame the meter-maids.

I believe that meter times should be longer, like the times alloted at the Pendleton Street parking garage. For instance, a quarter allows 38 minutes. The payment for parking at a closer spot is still there, but it's a fairer amount of time.

So Spartan, you don't think that free parking hasn't helped Greenville's Main Street?

Originally, yes. But I think it hurts it today. I have heard that many officials in Greenville would not object to moving to a metered system there, and I tend to agree. People will circle through Main St at least once (sometimes more) to find a spot there, and that wastes a lot of time and creates congestion on Main St. If they were metered then the parking garages (which could be priced at the same rate) might seem like a much better idea to everyone. Interestingly enough, the West End in Greenville IS metered (I have gotten a ticket there too) and that area is still taking off.

Similarly, I think that right now, free parking is the way to go in Spartanburg, but once downtown gains momentum I think it should all be metered. You need only look at Charleston to see meters pretty much everywhere, and it works.

I'm not suggesting that free parking doesnt have a purpose. In places that are not well established destinations it doesn't help business. Five Points is preatty well established, so I think that it will not hurt business in the long run. Matt, your particular situation is frustrating to be sure, but its beyond your control. I wouldn't assume that this sort of thing will happen every time you go to Five Points. I'd be pissed to, but I would still go and be more careful about it next time.... (that what I do in Greenville since my ticket there).

Interesting take on the issue, Spartan. I agree that Main Street gets really congested due to people looking for spots. And before I was really against the idea of meters because I'm spoiled with free parking currently. But, if the city placed meters ONLY on Main, I could see a lot of positive results. Activity is increasing off of Main and to assist this would be to have free parking only on those streets and in the current free garages. I wonder if the city has ever considered the idea.

Columbia should definitely do away with the meters for now. And if they don't then they should make it more obvious that parking is free on nights and weekends. It might entice people driving through to stop and stay a while. :thumbsup:

Where are there meters in the West End? I've yet to see any...

Interesting take on the issue, Spartan. I agree that Main Street gets really congested due to people looking for spots. And before I was really against the idea of meters because I'm spoiled with free parking currently. But, if the city placed meters ONLY on Main, I could see a lot of positive results. Activity is increasing off of Main and to assist this would be to have free parking only on those streets and in the current free garages. I wonder if the city has ever considered the idea.

Columbia should definitely do away with the meters for now. And if they don't then they should make it more obvious that parking is free on nights and weekends. It might entice people driving through to stop and stay a while. :thumbsup:

Where are there meters in the West End? I've yet to see any...

Yeah you're right. I was just thining about it, and they are just time restricted spots. I got a ticket all the same though. I agree that they shoudl only be placed directly on Main and the 1st block of all perpendicular streets. Make people pay for the primo spots.

Columbia already has meters pretty much everywhere else, so I really don't see the big deal with having them in Five Points.

Generally speaking most cities don't check meters or time spots after 4:30 or 5, so the night crowds aren't affected by these things.

There aren't any parking meters in the West End District of downtown Greenville anymore. This is something city leaders have considered and looked over, but have objected too. I also object to any parking meters being placed downtown. This is one of the things that makes downtown Greenville what it is. Many people don't like paying to park no matter where it is.

You are exactly right, and that is why I think it should be changed. Downtown G-ville is such a fantastic draw that people will still go there. I know that if it were all meters during the day I would probably be more willing to pay to park. Visitors to cities will pay to park too. Think about other place you go... Asheville, Charleston, Charlotte, etc. You generally pay to park in the downtowns of these places. Visitors won't think twice about it.

I think they should do what they do in D.C. and have 90-minute parking all over downtown without meters. Someone comes around and marks your tire and if they come around in 90 minutes and the mark is still there you get a ticket. If you get enough delinquent tickets you get a boot on your wheel and your car gets towed. Then you pay the fine and hopefully learn a lesson. That way you don't have to have change in your pocket in this debit card society we now live in.

I think they should do what they do in D.C. and have 90-minute parking all over downtown without meters. Someone comes around and marks your tire and if they come around in 90 minutes and the mark is still there you get a ticket. If you get enough delinquent tickets you get a boot on your wheel and your car gets towed. Then you pay the fine and hopefully learn a lesson. That way you don't have to have change in your pocket in this debit card society we now live in.

Is there any parking meters in Georgetown D.C.? I would love for 5pts to model Georgetown it's a really great place.

That's a great plan, but it would actually require the meter maids to bend over to mark the tires (and I'm sure that's not in their job desricption). But really, that would be a great plan at this time. Another option is to provide certian parking spots that are free 30 min parking, while the remaining spots remain metered. This would allow for people to get take out orders or drop of a pair of shoes for repair without paying a meter.

My biggest problem with the current meters is the time. There's no reason that a quater only gets 20 mins, it should get a half hour. It's just easier and makes more sence.

That's a great plan, but it would actually require the meter maids to bend over to mark the tires (and I'm sure that's not in their job desricption). But really, that would be a great plan at this time. Another option is to provide certian parking spots that are free 30 min parking, while the remaining spots remain metered. This would allow for people to get take out orders or drop of a pair of shoes for repair without paying a meter.

My biggest problem with the current meters is the time. There's no reason that a quater only gets 20 mins, it should get a half hour. It's just easier and makes more sence.

My biggest problem with the meters is who is backward enough to be carrying around pocket change in this debit card society we now live in. I don't have time to first run to Kroger to buy something so I can get change every time I want to go downtown.

My biggest problem with the meters is who is backward enough to be carrying around pocket change in this debit card society we now live in. I don't have time to first run to Kroger to buy something so I can get change every time I want to go downtown.

i agree, and if you do get a ticket don't it goes up to 7 dollars every 7days??? or something like that?

^ I understand having meters in general, but my major complaint is the amount of time allowed on them, and how the tickets are administered. At least at sporting events, you don't have to worry about getting a ticket if you sit there for a certain amount of time. I was held up in Quizno's to get lunch, and I had to wait for other customers and the cashier. As a result, I had to pay 7 f***king dollars because I was 5 minutes late getting back to my car. This is ridiculous...and it hurts business. I have no desire to eat at Quizno's on Harden, and the business can blame the meter-maids.

I believe that meter times should be longer, like the times alloted at the Pendleton Street parking garage. For instance, a quarter allows 38 minutes. The payment for parking at a closer spot is still there, but it's a fairer amount of time.

I hate to say it, because I know how frustrating parking tickets can be, but its alway easier (and cheaper) to add more money to the meter than you think you will need than to pay the parking ticket afterwards.

I completely agree on the antiquated change thing. :wacko: There has go to better way.

I too love Georgetown and the shops there. I however imagined lady street being that type of area. there is another area of dc, i cant remember what it is called, but it was full of great restaurants, bars, a few stores, and clubs. :yahoo:

They could use a nice hotel in the area :thumbsup: ...(I know about that Claussin place) but I meant a national chain.