Five Points

mr. chips

I like the design; I have no idea why the Wales Garden residents are such sticks in the mud. I happen to like a mix of buildings in urban residential areas - not everything has to be a single family home or two story townhouse. If they want to live in such a place, may I suggest the suburbs?

I like the design; I have no idea why the Wales Garden residents are such sticks in the mud. I happen to like a mix of buildings in urban residential areas - not everything has to be a single family home or two story townhouse. If they want to live in such a place, may I suggest the suburbs?

I'm with you. I really like the design (especially plan B), but I don't understand the basis of their complaints, it's only SIX stories. And the 200 space parking garage (which is the reason it's six stories) should greatly reduce the number of cars that park in front of their homes every night.

Edited by BrasilnSC

I noticed those, and I'm not sure what they are.

My guesss is a common 'Green' with gazebo-type shelters.

The design is nice, but there is no doubt that a massive three-side six story building plopped down in the middle of nothing but two story buildings is going to change the visual appearance in a big way. I hope it will be positive and not negative. Will it overwhelm it surroundings? It's quite possible. There need to renderings showing how it looks in context to what is already there. It will also set a major precednt for more of the same. Do the older commercial buildings have protected status?

Also, only one block across the street (Greene) has two six story buildings on it, which both sit on hills making them look even taller. Then of course there is the high-rise about a block and a half away... I guess my point is the building won't have that big of an overall impact (in terms of appearance) to the rest of five points, just to that one block.

Its going to be a big change from the old neighborhood mechanic that used to be there. Thats one element of Five Points that I've always loved and that is starting to fade- it used to be a true neighborhood retail type of area. You really could live in Wales Garden or Waverly and not travel beyond Five Points for most of your daily needs (drug store, groceries, restaurants, clothing stores, hardware store, etc) even on top of all the college bar scene that exists around it. I guess there are other mechnics around, and other hardwarde stores but now its transforming into something different. Its less "neighborhoody" than it used to be. Its adapting to the modern trends.

I say this half jokingly but there is an once of truth to it: if you have all of the stuff you need around you, then you likely don't need a car (nor a mechanic). :) Yes, this ignores the other stuff like hardware stores, but still its an interesting observation that's mostly true.

I think the building will be a nice addition to the area. With the influx of more residents will come more demand for services and then more services I hope.