Five Points

mr. chips

The other mid-rises are on the periphery of Five Points, this is in the very heart of Five Points, I think that is a crucial difference. The Blossom and Harden building is also the ugliest thing in the neighborhood, it's height only makes it stand out more.

Parking signage needs to be visible, but PARKING does not. Parking SHOULD be as 'invisible' as possible without eliminating it's from the public consciousness altogether. Columbia is a city of locals, not tourists, the locals will learn where the parking is.

Take pictures of Five Points now, and take some when FPS tops out, the difference, especially from certain vantage points, will be striking IMO.

I disagree on a couple of points.

1) Columbia gets more tourists than you think (being the state capital).

2) Charleston is moving towards integrated parking garages and their tourists seem to find them just fine. Both Charleston and Greenville have good examples of this type of parking and they both have very clear/visible entrances.

I don't think FPS is in the very heart of 5-points, but more on the southern edge. When I think of the heart of 5-points, I think the fountain area around Greene and Harden. FPS will not destroy the feel and look of 5-points (it will obviously change it a bit but for the good IMO). And the new Saluda St. fountain will only enhance this project. I see this garage being utilized much much more than the other.

The heart of Five Points is technically at Devine & Harden, in front of Yesterday's, but you're right, the fountain is much more of a focal point.

Also, we all know that Five Points doesn't exactly have the safest reputation around town. A parking structure behind Claussen's Inn wouldn't do anything in terms of making sure people can walk between the garage and their destination safely.

It doesn't? I've never thought of it as having an unsafe reputation. Just avoid the Carolina football players and you'll be fine.

Actually, Spartan, krazee is right. There is an awful lot of crime in Five Points that doesn't make the news. Armed robbery, assaults (lots of drunks) car break ins, etc., etc. Most caused by a combination of drunken college students and a rough neighborhood to the east.

Even as a drunken college student over 20 years ago, I wouldn't go to Five Points. I understand it has been that way since at least the early 70s.

Five Points is no worse than anywhere else. Look at all the crime going on in Pelion and Gilbert and those places. It's in the news from every area. That includes an upscale neighborhood in Chapel Hill, N.C., where the president of the UNC student body was just shot to death this morning at 5 a.m.

Speaking of Five Points, since that is the topic of this forum, there are several really good articles in Greater Columbia Business Monthly this month. One of them is on Merritt McHaffie, executive director of The Five Points Association. She grew up in Greenville and stayed in Columbia after finishing USC, and she has a passion for Five Points. She's really sharp.

Five Points is no worse than anywhere else. Look at all the crime going on in Pelion and Gilbert and those places. It's in the news from every area. That includes an upscale neighborhood in Chapel Hill, N.C., where the president of the UNC student body was just shot to death this morning at 5 a.m.

Speaking of Five Points, since that is the topic of this forum, there are several really good articles in Greater Columbia Business Monthly this month. One of them is on Merritt McHaffie, executive director of The Five Points Association. She grew up in Greenville and stayed in Columbia after finishing USC, and she has a passion for Five Points. She's really sharp.

Trust me CorgiMatt...be thankful that that had that major drug bust about a year ago...because Greene St. by MLK Park, Short Rd, Oak St, Queen St and etc were not the idea streets to stumble on while drunk or lost. That on road [Greene] was were a majority of drugs flowed in and out of in Columbia. I've helped 3 different college kids out [on different occassions] that were getting beat up or robbed on that street. Lucky for them that i happened to just be driving by trying to cut to Millwood Rd enroute to Garner's Ferry. Drugs, and prostitution is still an issue on that road...it's just not as visable since they raided that area. But just like any high pedestrian traffic areas in anycity, USA...crime won't make the news to hot.

"Columbia gets more tourists than you think (being the state capital)."

I've told people this for a long time. But not just the state capital, SEC football brings THOUSANDS of people to Columbia in the fall. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, etc...each of those schools brings over 10,000 peope to Columbia for the games. They stay all weekend usually and spend lots of money in 5 Points, the Vista, etc. So besides the coast, I'd say Columbia gets a pretty good number of tourists.

I've told people this for a long time. But not just the state capital, SEC football brings THOUSANDS of people to Columbia in the fall. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, etc...each of those schools brings over 10,000 peope to Columbia for the games. They stay all weekend usually and spend lots of money in 5 Points, the Vista, etc. So besides the coast, I'd say Columbia gets a pretty good number of tourists.

That is quite true and there is nothing like The Vista and Five Points on an SEC home football weekend. I liken Five Points to ocean Drive at the beach during those times.

Actually, Spartan, krazee is right. There is an awful lot of crime in Five Points that doesn't make the news. Armed robbery, assaults (lots of drunks) car break ins, etc., etc. Most caused by a combination of drunken college students and a rough neighborhood to the east.

Even as a drunken college student over 20 years ago, I wouldn't go to Five Points. I understand it has been that way since at least the early 70s.

I believe things have certainly been looking up in this area. I know this because I haved lived in Lower Waverly for about a year now. I never ever thought I would go into, let alone make an investment in this neighborhood (I had heard stories). But when looking to buy a house, a newly renovated home drew me to this area and I have had no regrets. I walk all around this area and to 5-points daily and have never had a problem with crime (only the occasional person asking for change). Columbia City Police has done a great job patrolling the area, crack houses have been torn down, new and newly renovated homes are popping up, and lots of college students live around there. I understand this still isn't the safest neighborhood but what neighborhood is safe?

Lower Waverly in is a prime location (especially for the price), and I think people are starting to see that. I know I did. I have all the amenities within walking distance: grocery store, dry cleaners, drug store, vet, pet store, post office, barber, hardware store, bank, starbucks, restaurants, bars, even a gay bar, live music, two parks (MLK and Maxy Gregg), etc..... I even walk to work downtown and to the Vista, a 20 minute walk. You really can't beat that.

This area still has a ways to go however. There are still plenty of dilapitated homes and empty lots, but by moving in, I feel I'm part of the solution to turning this neighborhood around. I'm hopeful that Future Five will be the catalyst that takes us over the hump to becoming a bustling, vibrant in town neighborhood. Only time will tell.

Guys, I don't mean to be such a naysayer (what else is new, huh? ;) ), but I wouldn't categorize Columbia as a tourist destination at all.

Being the seat of state government brings in business travelers, but those are not tourists. We can call them visitors or guests, but not tourists.

Football games do bring in a TON of visitors. But those are for events that might happen to occur in Baton Rouge, Knoxville, or Fayetteville. Those are visitors or guests, too, but not tourists.

Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and maybe Hilton Head are our only tourist cities, really. N.C. only has Asheville. Georgia has Savannah (and MAYBE Atlanta). The rest of our cities, while great, attract visitors and don't rely so heavily on the tourism industry, and probably never will (since we're not on the coast or nestled in the mountains.)

Edited by digital_sandlapper

That's awesome, Brasil; I've always thought that area was prime for a renaissance!

That's an encouraging story, Brasil. Being that the city will be throwing its support behind the redevelopment of your neighborhood, I have no doubt that things will continue to improve.

Thanks guys. I'll keep yall posted ;)

Edited by BrasilnSC

The new Saluda St. fountain is up and running. It looks good, but will look even better when the landscaping fills out a little. Unlike the fountain at Greene and Harden, this one has not been dyed green.

Speaking of green, the 26th annual St. Pat's in 5-points is estimating over 30,000 visitors to the urban village this Saturday, the 15th. Should be a good 'ol time. :alc:

Details: St. Pat's in 5-Points

This year, the festival will be going green, environmentally that is. Fifty white recycling bins will be placed throughout the festival for plastic and glass bottles and aluminum bottles and cans. Don't let your impaired motor skills keep you from helping the environment.

EDIT: The new fountain is now flowing with greeness. :D

Edited by BrasilnSC

As it regards the parking proposals we discussed earlier, the city hired a consulting group to provide professional expertise and lead a committee to evaluate both proposals; the report can be found here. I think the report definitively makes the case that parking within the FPS development is a much better option.

Here are some notable findings:

Claussen's Inn

Physical Suitability of the site and the design

I Will have current pics in the next few days on my web site (which I cannot mention).

PS.....The fountain IS dyed green! :)

Is that the site I put a link to on my website? I may have to start selling something (I have no idea what) on my website to pay for the cost of bandwidth for all those photos. I think Firefox and I are going on a Friday photoshoot. We will try to remember to get a shot of the fountain then.

Is that the site I put a link to on my website? I may have to start selling something (I have no idea what) on my website to pay for the cost of bandwidth for all those photos. I think Firefox and I are going on a Friday photoshoot. We will try to remember to get a shot of the fountain then.

One in the same, waccamatt.

I took a picture of the fountain as i road around the other day...but i was in my truck and when i tried to get a fair shot of it....a Columbia police cut his blue lights on me and called me out over his megaphone to move...lol....so the picture is crooked and not very good :(

The police ruin everything.