Five Points

mr. chips

Once again.... in my heart...I want something very nice there. i would love to have that corner be a crown jewel in the 5pts area. But like Capt. said....i don't have any faith in this project [nor any other 5pt points projects] in the future.

I still would say i'd just leave the property empty. I know it's not making me any money...but i'm sure if i sat on it long enough that someone would be willing to pay premium dollar to take it off my hands. But yep...for the time being "5pts meet eyesore" aka "soon to be bad urban project" bka "missed opportunity".

So I FINALLY made it back to spend some time in Five Points this weekend. It was my first trip back (other than passing through) since they finished the streetscape. I simply can't say enough good things about it. The whole experience was 100 times better than it used to be, simply because everything felt a cleaner. Granted its not the Five Points I remember, but nostalgia only carries so much weight with me :) My friends were also impressed with Five Points and urban Columbia in general. Now if we can just keep the urban development alive...

Apparently the owner of the China Garden on Harden St. is planning to put up a new building there. The building will be four stories tall with retail space and a restaurant on the ground floor and three floors of office space. Parking will be on surface lots behind the building. The outside will be brick, and there will be some balconies and setback spaces. Although this new building will be much larger than the existing buildings around it, the plans do meet the new zoning overlay requirements for 5 Points. Also, since there will not be any public money involved, this project does not have the issues that were raised about the proposed project at the old Kenny's site that was to include a city parking garage.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WIS News just did a report about the former Kenny's Auto site. The developers just had a new plan ok'd by the zoning board that would put a one-story, hemogenized, suburban-looking building housing a Walgreen's and bank with a big footprint on the site. Looks like the developers are pissed big time for being turned down on their former proposal so they are just going to slap up an Irmo-style drug store to go along with that pretty new fountain in the median there. And Five Points leaders are questioning why the city's zoning board would ok a project that clearly does not fit the newly adopted architectural guidelines for Five Points.

WIS News just did a report about the former Kenny's Auto site. The developers just had a new plan ok'd by the zoning board that would put a one-story, hemogenized, suburban-looking building housing a Walgreen's and bank with a big footprint on the site. Looks like the developers are pissed big time for being turned down on their former proposal so they are just going to slap up an Irmo-style drug store to go along with that pretty new fountain in the median there. And Five Points leaders are questioning why the city's zoning board would ok a project that clearly does not fit the newly adopted architectural guidelines for Five Points.

Why in the world was a project like that approved? That is outrageous.

So in scenario one, we have a conforming, quality urban project which was contested by some residents and resulted in the project's delay and ultimate demise. In the end, we have scenario 2, a non-conforming suburban style Walgreens.

Why would this be approved to begin with? Does anyone know what the zoning was for that site? How can this be allowed to happen?

How could they approve such a development after implementing "Future Five"? :dontknow: This is extremely aggrevating. Shame on the Wales Garden residents and city council. 5 Points South was a great project but now a crappy suburban development might take it's place. So much for trying to preserve the character of 5 points. :angry:

Unfortunately, this type of mediocrity (or worse--suburban buildings in what is supposed to be urban) is what often results from "design by committee". When too many voices have a vote, the result is a conformity to the masses. A person with vision has NO chance, I'm afraid.

Another huge example is the ongoing approval of "safe" and "crowd-pleasing" designs for any new construction in Charleston's historic district. No world-class or daring architecture will ever get past all the horde of voices in that place, and all of us that love the old city yawn at the results.

Ouch, I was just reading over documents on building requirements here in Summerville and it's ridiculous all the requirements to get your building permitted. It's so many dang rules that prevent any kind of creative use of the lots, so frustrating. The rules require suburban type development.