Five Points

mr. chips

I just looked at the plans--surely they can shift the Walgreen's to the corner and put the parking in the back/middle!

One thing I just realized when looking at the photos--that huge white house that used to be there was razed, too??!! :shok: I forgot about it! Please tell me that they moved it--it was a perfectly sound structure, not to mention quite handsome. What a missed opportunity: it would've made an excellent restaurant. This really steams me. What a total waste if it was just demolished along with Kenny's. :angry:

After looking through those plans, I am just plain angry. As far as a development goes, it could not get any worse then what appears will be built on the Kenny's Auto site. So who is to blame? City Council? The developers? The neighborhood groups? Columbia's general bad luck? All of the aforementioned?

I hate to be so negative, but this entire 5 Points South debacle is so disheartening and exactly what I have come to expect from this city.

:sick: This is horrible looking. The NIMBY's made the situation worse. They should of just stepped aside and let the developers build their mixed use project. Who cares if it's a few stories taller than the surrounding area. It would of looked ten times better than this.

To be fair, it's not like the developers put up both proposals and the NIMBYs said, "Build the lowrise suburban crap." The neighborhood associations, IMO, had valid concerns, but you really can't pin this one on them anyway. The developers are proposing craptastic stuff here, and the city didn't help. The priority now is in making sure this gets shot down. Hope you guys are emailing some people.

Give me the email address and i'll get to voicing my concerns...

Looking at those plans make me want to hit the bar and get drunk...lol...seriously! That just isn't right...I can understand the developers anger, and at one point i agreed with them...but i think it was more out of disappointment that the other project got canned. But looking at this really makes me agree at the city council for even passing this plan....

I emailed the mayor and all of my city council reps last night. Their email addresses are at columbiasc.net. I told them if it makes it as far as them to deny it because it looks like crap and will not fit in, and that it goes against the Five Points master plan. I told them better yet to please make it where all these boards and commissions are on the same page so that one board doesn't approve things that go against another board's mission.

Can't speak for the bank, but the Walgreen's didn't look all that bad to me. Sure, its no mixed use but it isn't worse than any other Walgreen's and better looking than most.

No, it doesn't fit into the plan for Future Five plan, but I've always figured that was a dream plan and wouldn't come to fruition. After seeing this, I am even more sure it won't.

The Future Five plan deals with form and function and is very doable; as a matter of fact, it's just an extension of what has already been historically done there, with a few exceptions.

As far as the Walgreens, the drive-thru is abominable, and I'm sure the building materials will be of the shabbiest quality.

^I guess I don't have much to argue with you about there.

From reading the article in the Free Times about this project, seems as though it's set to begin construction in January. And Belinda Gergel, the new councilwoman who replaced Ann Sinclair, is calling for yet another parking study.

This is crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

He's right on. The new parking study is necessary though because the primary goal of that study should have been to show that the FPS project was the ideal solution for Five Points' parking problem or that it would have been a failure. Now they have to figure out where they are going to put a garage since the best option is now a Walgreens. I hope they don't built on that spot back on College St that they were talking about before. That would be horrible.

I usually don't agree with him, but he was spot on in that article. I too am extremely frustrated by the lack of leadership and balls from City Council and Mayor Bob. You can't please everyone. You have to make the decision you feel is best for Columbia, that IS your job. What could have been a great project for 5-pts (FPS) will now be the worst thing for 5-pts, a stand alone Walgreens. This after 3 years of bickering. Pardon my language, but I'm pissed :angry:.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard the shopping center (can't remember the name) where the firm used to be next to Bod Andrews was sold. Rode by there on my way to work and the sale signs are gone. Does anyone have an idea if this is true? Details?

Brasil, "the firm"? What firm?

"Bod Andrews"? What is that?

I'm sorry, I guess I'm a little slow :blush: . . where are you talking about, now? . . . :dunno:

Edited by digital_sandlapper

It's the building/lot next to Food Lion that wraps around the Exxon at the corner of Harden and Gervais.

"The Firm" was a nationally known workout program that took place in that building. Bob Andrews is a car mechanic next door (has been there for decades).

Okay, is that the building that used to have a theatre in it, but now has P.T.'s Cabaret and the Marine Corps Recruiting Center? (I kid you not--talk about ironic!)