Five Points

mr. chips

I have to agree with Spartan on the fact that Five Points is a self-contained urban environment, and I think the move to Cayce, where they will face much more direct competition from Lowes, will cripple them.

If they move to Cayce, I'd be ecstatic! There's a big, gaping hole since ACE left. maybe Hiller will take the old ACE location in Parkland Plaza <crosses fingers>.

They really moving to Cayce?

Not including industrial supply type places, I'd guess either the Lowe's or Mann Tool in West Columbia....although it may be faster to get to the True Value on Broad River via 126.

Lowe's on Garner's Ferry, too, depending on time of day and traffic.

If they move to Cayce, I'd be ecstatic! There's a big, gaping hole since ACE left. maybe Hiller will take the old ACE location in Parkland Plaza <crosses fingers>.

They really moving to Cayce?

It would seem so:

http://www.thestate.com/747/story/758776.html

Considering that it is a long-term lease, it's highly likely that they would move into the old ACE location (which I had completely forgotten about).

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem so:

http://www.thestate.com/747/story/758776.html

Considering that it is a long-term lease, it's highly likely that they would move into the old ACE location (which I had completely forgotten about).

This is another example of "I'll believe it when I see it." Hiller Hardware has threatened to close in Five Points at least once before. He seems to do that a lot if he's bitter about the changing times or re-development of the Vista and 5 Pts. Of course, 3.5 million is too much to turn down if it happens--but isn't he already a millionaire from the sale of the original Hiller Hardware on Lady Street? Geez . . .

Boy, I hope it sure DOESN'T happen as reported in this article. A one-story bank branch would be awful there or anywhere in Five Points!

Yes, the Zoning Board clearly doesn't understand quality URBAN development. I really don't care that it's a Walgreen's, you really can't pick and choose what kind of business you want. But it's the store size and design that bother me. A much more urban looking Walgreen's would have been fine.

Oh well! Sadly I'm to the point of, "just build it already."

Here's a link to the zoning application, which includes site plans and renderings as you scroll down:

Walgreens

Well we now see where their priorities lie. It's not in quality urban development.

If the site is zoned commercial, there's not much the city can do to stop the development. The only thing the city could do is force Walgreens to implement design standards. Interestingly enough, there is a story in the Greenville News this morning about a Waffle House planned for downtown Greenville along Stone Avenue. :whistling:

If the site is zoned commercial, there's not much the city can do to stop the development. The only thing the city could do is force Walgreens to implement design standards. Interestingly enough, there is a story in the Greenville News this morning about a Waffle House planned for downtown Greenville along Stone Avenue. :whistling:

I know they're hating that.

Here's a link to the zoning application, which includes site plans and renderings as you scroll down:

Walgreens

The letters in support of this development are quite interesting and come from some heavy hitters in the real estate/development industry in Columbia. I suppose they feel their pain and wanted to provide some support for them. In defense of these developers, they have been put through the ringer quite a few times.

Well the design COULD be a lot worse. I hate the drive thru, but other than that, it's better than I was expecting. It's just sad that such a quality urban development has turned into this. I didn't really read much of the PDF, so does anyone know if this is going to be a 24-hour Walgreens? If so, the parking cannot be used by the public at night, which just makes the parking in 5PTs worse. Yesterday's used this parking lot for their parking. Are they going to lose it?

A final question. Who prepared the 5PTS Master Plan? Who funded it? It apparently was a complete waste of money, and I hope that not a cent of tax payer money was used.

Oh, c'mon. The store will stick out a little, maybe, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who will benefit from having a Walgreen's nearby.

How is it any different than the Rite Aid that's already there (and that fits into the urban environment better)?

Stone Ave in Gville is not the same as Five Points because it's slightly more car oriented, and its not one of Greenville's primary urban commercial districts. In order for that to be a comparable problem, they'd have to be building the Waffle House a block off on Main St.

The design could certainly be worse, and although I hate there will be a drive-thru, it does appear as though it will be hidden somewhat. The original FPS proposal was still better, but I do wonder if the condo portion would have still been a go with the condition the housing market is in.