Five Points

mr. chips

I can and can't see this happening. I can because of its central location near a major university but can't because of the type of development the store would be located in. Apple usually only locates in high-end malls/mixed use developments or in downtown regions with numerous elite national retailers like Charleston.

You need to ride down and take a look at the complex they're building. I rode by yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the layout and the exterior building materials they're using. It doesn't even look like the architectural rendering. I think they might have changed it. The would-be Apple building will have an eye-catching position within the complex, fronting Devine Street, sharing a plaza with Walgreen's on one side and creating an urban feel by sitting up to the sidewalk. The Five Points portion of Columbia's expansive downtown area should be a great Apple location.

Your argument cites the USC student population as a major customer base for an Apple store downtown. But can you please tell me why students would shop at an Apple store in Five Points (or anywhere else in the metro for that matter) when they have an Apple store ON CAMPUS? If Apple closed the store on the campus of USC, then yes, it makes a great location. BUT, if the Apple store on the USC campus stayed open, why would Apple open a location so close? A suburban store would make more sense. We're not talking about Starbucks here...

The large student population was one of the arguments as to why Apple would work in Five Points, not the only argument. But, as Krazeeboi shows in his pictures, there really is no comparison with the outlet at Russell House and a typical Apple store. Additionally, Russell House is not exactly marketed to the general metro population. The only argument that I see against Apple coming to Five Points is exactly what citylife states, Apple may want to be closer to other higher end/trendy stores, suburban or urban. But, we don't know what the developers have in mind for Five Points, this is an area that could easily go more upscale. And, with Apple and a few trendy stores, it has tremendous potential to be a greater shopping district.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any updates on whether Apple and Chipotle are coming to 5 Points? I was in 5 Points yesterday, and there are 2 smaller building being built there...one on each side of the Walgreens. I wouldn't think they'd be building the buildings without knowing what they are going to become.

Any updates on whether Apple and Chipotle are coming to 5 Points? I was in 5 Points yesterday, and there are 2 smaller building being built there...one on each side of the Walgreens. I wouldn't think they'd be building the buildings without knowing what they are going to become.

Word on the street is that Chipotle is only going to Forest Acres for now. They like to start off with one location first then expand from there if successful. I doubt Apple is going to this development. If they were, you would have seen job postings by now for the store most likely. Hopefully i'm wrong though. Right now, the leasing file only list Walgreens as a tenant: http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/3/1/4/3...8504D9D5F72.pdf

A two story mixed-use building would have been really cool at that corner........oh well. I like Chick-fil-a and even though it's just another fast food joint, it's way better than the Hardee's that's there now. Hopefully this new building will be attractive and fit in nicely. I like that they will add outdoor seating and will eliminate a curb cut on College St. I need a visual.

Edited by BrasilnSC

Wow, for a fast food joint, that is a really good design. It will blend in well with the Five Points Plan... keeping in mind of course that you can't force redevelopment. This is better than I ever would have expected. Kudos to the Planning Dept for getting this one!

Wow, for a fast food joint, that is a really good design. It will blend in well with the Five Points Plan... keeping in mind of course that you can't force redevelopment. This is better than I ever would have expected. Kudos to the Planning Dept for getting this one!

You do realize that this is Chick-fil-a's new standard store design? Clemson's is identical and just opened in August. I'd like to see a more unique design. How else can you keep Five points funky? I'm not sure designs that are "anywhere, USA" can accomplish that.

I did not know that. So in that case I retract my statement about the planning department. I can't imagine anyone on a standard 5-lane highway in suburbia would want to sit out on the street like that. In Five Points there are at least trees and a planting strip, which makes some sense.

In that case the pedestrian-friendly link to the store via the walkway from the corner eating area to the restaurant itself will just have to be "funky" enough. It's innovative to think about pedestrians when you have no choice but to build with suburban-style design.