Five Points

mr. chips

The city owns an office building at 2126 Devine St., and is looking for someone to take it and move it off the lot, which it plans to use for surface parking for Five Points. The building was built in 1930 as an apartment building and has been remodeled for office use.

They wouldn't need to do that if they had gone ahead with the original mixed-use structure at the Kenny's site, which would have included a garage.

• 1 month later...

It probably is fairly standard. I'm seem to recall having that discussion on here somewhere. It has more outdoor seating than the Chik-fil-a's I'm familiar with though.

It's the same layout and design as Clemson's on 123. It's odd to compare a car-choked location and an 'urban village' location. Could be anywhere, USA.

I think it's fair to say that Chik-fil-a seems to grasp the concept of better-designed buildings relative to the other fast food places (again, of the ones I am familiar with). The fact that it could be anywhere USA is certainly relevant in that it perpetuates the whole "generica" concept, and contributes relatively little to the uniqueness of Five Points. However, it's also about context. When you have a place like this that is designed to make pedestrians more comfortable, and it is located in a village setting, it's going to tend to be used like the other buildings around it- (eg: more pedestrian traffic, relative to a suburban location).

The opposite is also true. If you could take a 1920's era commercial building and put it a suburban area like Harbison Blvd, more people would drive to it (relative to the urban location), even though it would have pedestrian-oriented street front.

My point is still that this fast food establishment's design is far better than the previous one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...