Five Points

mr. chips

I don't know what that could be, but if the sign is from the planning commission their agenda should soon be on the city's website. Their next meeting is December 13th.

On the other side of Five Points, I can't believe the transformation of the strip of retail space across the street from the Food Lion shopping center on Harden. The worst eyesore in the area has been returned to its original architecture. They were pressure-washing the brick today. New windows should be installed soon. NIGHT AND DAY!

Edited by CorgiMatt

I spotted a green sign for the Planning Commission at the corner of Walnut and Stark Streets adjacent to 916 Harden St, that's right across from Chick-fil-a and next to Salty's. From the agenda, the applicant wants to rezone the rear parcel from residential to mix-use to establish parking for a restaurant. That applicant represents Waffle House, see this link: https://www.columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS_PC_2011_12_05_4_Harden_916__RZN_PKT.pdf

I spotted a green sign for the Planning Commission at the corner of Walnut and Stark Streets adjacent to 916 Harden St, that's right across from Chick-fil-a and next to Salty's. From the agenda, the applicant wants to rezone the rear parcel from residential to mix-use to establish parking for a restaurant. That applicant represents Waffle House, see this link: https://www.columbia...16__RZN_PKT.pdf

I think his would be great. i would really like to see one on Main st.

There is a City of Columbia sign in the window of the Game Stop at Santee & Blossom listing the property as up for re-zoning to be used as a restaurant. Does anyone know what it could be?

It's for a yogurt shop. I guess the game store didn't make it.

https://www.columbia.sc.gov/cocextranet/assets/File/PlanningDevelopmentServices/BoardsCommisions/Agendas/PDS_BoZA_2011_12_13_Pkt6_Santee_701.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

5 Points Waffle House nears completion. They have widened Stark St (on the right) one block up to Walnut St; this is going to be a problematic intersection. Also notice the crosswalk; all crosswalks in the 5 Points area have been repainted, adding the stripes to create more visibility.

IMAG1352.jpg

Edited by BrasilnSC

5 Points Waffle House nears completion. They have widened Stark St (on the right) one block up to Walnut St; this is going to be a problematic intersection. Also notice the crosswalk; all crosswalks in the 5 Points area have been repainted, adding the stripes to create more visibility.

IMAG1352.jpg

They should probably add a left turning lane for turning onto Stark so cars waiting to get in don't cause any problems on Harden. I like the repainted crosswalks. I wish the gas station at Harden and College would get torn down and a midrise be built there with retail and residential. It would be a good place to incorporate a large garage (250-500 spaces) that would serve that development and the rest of Five Points. The parking lot behind the gas station could be included for this development and help make it more walkable. Retail should line all streets though of course...

• Like 1

They should probably add a left turning lane for turning onto Stark so cars waiting to get in don't cause any problems on Harden. I like the repainted crosswalks. I wish the gas station at Harden and College would get torn down and a midrise be built there with retail and residential. It would be a good place to incorporate a large garage (250-500 spaces) that would serve that development and the rest of Five Points. The parking lot behind the gas station could be included for this development and help make it more walkable. Retail should line all streets though of course...

I was thinking the same thing. that they tear down that Gas Station and build something better there. a mid rise mix used building would be nice. Retail on the first 2 floors. 5 floors of parking on top or Underground Parking, retail on top and Living above the retail

I think they should completely close off that median. I forsee lots of accidents even with a left turn lane. At the very least, they need to add a left turn lane on Harden and restrict left turns out of Stark St and the Shopping Center entrance.

I think that is the perfect place for a parking garage, with entrances on Greene and College Streets. Some retail along College.

Edited by BrasilnSC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the rise in crime has been very predictable. Closing some of the clubs on Two Notch a few years ago caused a shift in clubgoers from that area to Five Points. Harden Street has always been somewhat rowdy with a mix of Fort Jackson trainees, USC students, locals, and the Taylor Street crowd, but the latter two groups seem to be driving the trend. CPD really needs to just set up a substation as a preventative measure.

• 9 months later...

The Whitney Hotel is transforming into luxury apartments set to begin leasing in August with a new name: 700 Woodrow. The seven-story complex will have as many apartments as it did hotel rooms. There will be 61 two-bedroom units with two bathrooms, renting for $1,195 monthly and up, and 14 one-bedroom, one bathroom units, renting for $850 and up