Five Points

mr. chips

This is good news. A few years back, there was a similar development proposed for the same parcel (I believe). Architecturally speaking, it was interesting, and was brick, instead of a lot of new construction these days with cheap looking building materials. Unfortunately, due to its proposed height, it was shot down, and in hindsight, rightly so. It dwarfed everything else around it, which, as you know, is consistent in its low heights. I look forward to seeing renderings, and hope it ticks all the boxes, to get built.    

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Today, Columbia City Council is scheduled to vote on two 5 Points area projects that would make a significant impact: 1) the proposed redevelopment of 2221 Devine St (sits right above 5 Points) from a former state office building into condos and retail, and 2) the redevelopment of the Wells Fargo bank branch into a hotel. Fingers crossed they both get the green light. 

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, victory said:

https://www.thestate.com/living/food-drink/article253915118.html Atlanta's Flying Biscuit  Cafe opening soon in 5 Points. Anybody been to one of these? 

Yes. There is one in Greenville, and I have been to the one in CLT.  It is a great breakfast place. The pancakes were a letdown but the BACON, the Grits and the French Toast are all really good.    

17 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Yes. There is one in Greenville, and I have been to the one in CLT.  It is a great breakfast place. The pancakes were a letdown but the BACON, the Grits and the French Toast are all really good.    

I could eat breakfast at any hour of the  day. Looking forward to giving it a try!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
5 hours ago, vicupstate said:

What ??!!!   Yesterday's closed ??!!  

I had no idea!   When did that happen?

It was definitely a Columbia institution.  

That brunch place looks great though, hope they come to Greenville.

I guess they've been closed for about one year. Duncan McRae had been on site, running day to day operations since it opened in 1978. I guess it was time. Will miss it, though.  

• 1 year later...

https://www.postandcourier.com/free-times/music/new-brookland-tavern-moving-to-cotton-gin-building-in-five-points/article_0c368ca8-6ede-11ee-ac58-2f5dc8947a4d.html New Brookland Tavern closing shop OSR, and relocating to Five Points. Hopefully this might be the start of live music in the district again, like during the Hootie days (although more hardcore, I suspect).

• 4 months later...

https://www.wistv.com/2024/03/16/what-you-should-know-about-st-patricks-day-festival-five-points/  I used to serve on the St. Pat's Operations Committee, and for many years (in my younger years) this Saturday in March was the highlight of my social calendar.  Crowds today are estimated to be around 45,000. Back in the day, before 5 Points was fenced off, and admission was charged, crowds of 60,000 were not unusual. This is still a really big event for Cola, and I've heard it's the third largest St. Patrick's Day celebration on the East Coast after New York and Savannah (Boston's got to be up there, too, right?). I hope everybody has a great time. Happy St. Pat's, everyone!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...