Five Points

mr. chips

I too love Georgetown and the shops there. I however imagined lady street being that type of area. there is another area of dc, i cant remember what it is called, but it was full of great restaurants, bars, a few stores, and clubs.

Take your pick: Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, U Street, etc.

As far as the hotel goes, I think the Claussen and Whitney hotels are probably enough to sustain the area for now.

I think they can sustain the area, but in my opinion they are virtually invisisble. :ph34r: And honestly the Whitney is not in the area I was considering. I meant more specifically the actual streets and blocks of 5points. Maybe where that chinese restaurant is on harden st...I can see it now, a nice 10 story hotel :blush: with restaurants and bars and such on the outer bottom floor. Hey its late, let me dream! :rolleyes:

You're right they're invisible and the Whitney Hotel is on Devine, true. I'm not sure about 10 stories though; I think that would be out of character for the area. Something about 4-5 stories could work. It would have to subject to strict design guidelines in keeping with the character of the area. Something like a Marriott Courtyard could work.

From the latest edition of the Columbia Star:

Architect Doug Quackenbush walked council through his firm's master plan for Five Points. Quackenbush emphasized several points for council's consideration: build to the street; push for more infill; preserve identity; promote mixed use; increase density; foster diversity. He asked council to adopt the master plan, but Rickenmann and Finlay were hesitant to adopt before more extensive review. Sinclair reminded council of the many plans and zoning overlays for the past two decades, arguing this may be time to actually adopt and enact. Cromartie questioned the citizen awareness, and Quackenbush defended the many efforts and engagements with the surrounding neighborhood. Council suggested it may vote on the master plan on December 13, Wednesday, at a regular council meeting.

Originally, yes. But I think it hurts it today. I have heard that many officials in Greenville would not object to moving to a metered system there, and I tend to agree. People will circle through Main St at least once (sometimes more) to find a spot there, and that wastes a lot of time and creates congestion on Main St. If they were metered then the parking garages (which could be priced at the same rate) might seem like a much better idea to everyone. Interestingly enough, the West End in Greenville IS metered (I have gotten a ticket there too) and that area is still taking off.

Similarly, I think that right now, free parking is the way to go in Spartanburg, but once downtown gains momentum I think it should all be metered. You need only look at Charleston to see meters pretty much everywhere, and it works.

I'm not suggesting that free parking doesnt have a purpose. In places that are not well established destinations it doesn't help business. Five Points is preatty well established, so I think that it will not hurt business in the long run. Matt, your particular situation is frustrating to be sure, but its beyond your control. I wouldn't assume that this sort of thing will happen every time you go to Five Points. I'd be pissed to, but I would still go and be more careful about it next time.... (that what I do in Greenville since my ticket there).

As long as Knox White is Mayor of Greenville, we'll not see the meters return. It is one of our boasts and I do not wish to see them again either. There is PLENTY of available parking near whatever shop/restaurant/venue you desire to visit. The vehicle traffic would be just as heavy on Main Street as it is now. FREE parking is the way to go in Greenville. If it is not available, there are garages all over downtown with very low rates, and a couple are even free on nights and weekends.

That said, I know less about Columbia's situation, but would assume people might prefer not to have to pay to park. Meters can be visually unpleasant as well.

As long as Knox White is Mayor of Greenville, we'll not see the meters return. It is one of our boasts and I do not wish to see them again either. There is PLENTY of available parking near whatever shop/restaurant/venue you desire to visit. The vehicle traffic would be just as heavy on Main Street as it is now. FREE parking is the way to go in Greenville. If it is not available, there are garages all over downtown with very low rates, and a couple are even free on nights and weekends.

That said, I know less about Columbia's situation, but would assume people might prefer not to have to pay to park. Meters can be visually unpleasant as well.

What parking? I have never found a spot on Main St in all of my years going to Greenville (and I have looked). Parking near your destination is questionable during the day. At night it tends to be easier because you can park in business spots in some cases (Suntrust). There are definitely spots around downtown, this is true. Then you can walk to your destination. And that is not my issue at all. I gladly park far from my destination downtown so I can get that free spot and so I can walk to my destination. In Columbia, you can safely park in a city meter after 430 and not worry about ticketing. The USC meters may be different. You can never tell with those guys when you will get a ticket. But when I go to Columbia, I generally expect to have to pay for a parking spot in some way, simply because finding that free spot is not worth the hassle.

My contention was not that meters would reduce traffic, but that it would increase turnover rates for parking spots, make people more willing to park in the garages, and generally spread the parking more evenly around downtown.

Your response proves my point though. Nobody wants to pay to park. People assume that parking should be free everywhere, but at what point do you change your mind? I am simply stating that if all parking were meters, it wouldn't change anything because you create a fair system for everyone who drives. Free parking should be the furthest away from your destination. People who take the bus or walk or something will have a true advantage though. And I don't mean to pick on you Skyliner, you just happened to be the first to respond the way I knew someone would eventually. My comments are towards everyone, even myself, as I am just as guilty as anyone else here of choosing the free spot over a metered one.

• 1 month later...

The parts of Five Points where streetscaping has been completed look really good.

I kinda wish the Kenny's building and sign would be preserved and adaptively reused instead of being razed. The Vista Hiller Hardware location is much more of a landmark than the one in Five Points, so I see no problem with razing it.

I wonder what will happen to Claussen's. The reports I've read on the inn from TripAdvisor.com have been pretty mixed, so I hope if it remains a hotel that it undergoes a serious upgrade.

The parts of Five Points where streetscaping has been completed look really good.

I kinda wish the Kenny's building and sign would be preserved and adaptively reused instead of being razed. The Vista Hiller Hardware location is much more of a landmark than the one in Five Points, so I see no problem with razing it.

I wonder what will happen to Claussen's. The reports I've read on the inn from TripAdvisor.com have been pretty mixed, so I hope if it remains a hotel that it undergoes a serious upgrade.

Why is the Vista Hiller Hardware more of a landmark?