Five Points

mr. chips

We finally got some news about what's coming to the Kenny's Auto site. A $20 million, six-story complex, to be named 5 Points South, will feature retail, public parking and luxury condos.

As for the retail portion, a Walgreens will anchor the corner of Saluda Avenue and Blossom Street. A bank will be located at Santee and Blossom streets. Space for a restaurant or store will be available mid-block on Devine Street. More than 200 public parking spaces will be located on the second and third floors of the building. The top three floors will feature 27 town-house-style, high end condos from 1,400 to 1,800 square feet each.

This is something of significant height for Five Points. I think it will contribute to the "Five Points skyline" effect. And it sounds like this development will be urban in every sense of the word.

Thats great to hear. :good: It would be nice if that could impliment the old kennys auto sign in to the work ...maybe thats just because I love the name Kenny :whistling: ...for some reason or another.

Now I am fond of Yesterday's and its decrative exterior, but I think they should have tried to make a deal with the Kenny's auto developer. :scared: The entire block could have been filled with a 6 floor building (i wish it were more like 10 floors), and they could have just requested the bottom two floors of that building in their area to make the place even better. Imagine Yesterday's, bigger, with a better layout, and more comfortable to the guest. :dontknow: Then when all was said and done, tossed that cowboy in the tub right back up in his rightful spot.

Edited by TheCarolinaKing

This is very exciting......mixed use, pedestrian friendly, hidden parking, street level retail, all sounds great. I also think that 6 stories is tall enough, well maybe a couple more stories, but anything taller than that would not fit well in my opinion. I wish the condos weren't all high-end and more of mix however.

This is fantastic news! 6 stories in 5 points is pretty significant, and I'm glad to see that this project is being done right, so kudos to the City for that. No more blank walls and useless parking lots! So who wants to take bets on when CVS moves in?

I also enjoyed the rundown of projects in 5 Points and the aerial images too.

I think 6-8 stories is plenty for Five Points. That 15 storey building seems a little out of place.

I wish they had some more units period.

But overall this is sounds like a great project that will fit in nicesly with the rest of Five Points.

Well I admit this is a good porject and all of us really want a taller building we must remember beggers can't be choosers. :thumbsup: I think once all the construction is finally completed then we will starting seeing more porjects of this same caliber poping up around 5 points, becuase the main issue of the owers of 5 points as stated in the article is trying to win back some of the crowds of the Vista.

I think there's more than enough crowd to go around.

I also maintain my point that skyscrapers are just eyecandy. These midrise developments are what we need to truely increase density; albiet you cant do that unless there are a lot of residential units within.

This looks like an excellent development for Five Points and Columbia as a whole. I love the density and proposed mixed use of the site. Hopefully our other cities and developers will take note of this when planning future intown projects.

View from Blossom St:

6327787_BG1.jpg

View of Walgreens:

6327787_BG2.jpg

View from Devine and Saluda Streets:

6327787_BG3.jpg

I like. :shades:

Wow. I really didn't think it would look this great, but I am truely impressed by this. It has everything... pedestrian friendly, up to the street, ground level retail, parking, and residential up top. This is a well done urban project, possibly one of the best all around in Columbia since we've been tracking them here at UrbanPlanet.

Now if the rest of thie city could only get more projects like this one...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! :shok: Forgive my braindead responce but this is awsome and will just be the crown jewel of 5 points this things raises the bar for all of Columbia. Also about freaking time and YES I SEE A WALGREENS!!!!!! I so could have used this Tuesday. *cusses under breathe stupid new CVS* ;)

What a great looking project. :yahoo: I think it will fit nicely in 5-points and should be an example for other projects downtown, like some have said. This is true urban design. I'm with you firefox, that CVS on Assembly St. needs to be demolished already, lol.

Edited by BrasilnSC

Wow. I really didn't think it would look this great, but I am truely impressed by this. It has everything... pedestrian friendly, up to the street, ground level retail, parking, and residential up top. This is a well done urban project, possibly one of the best all around in Columbia since we've been tracking them here at UrbanPlanet.

Now if the rest of thie city could only get more projects like this one...

Agreed on all points. I really didn't expect something so intensely urban.

The State has an article about some concerns about this project, and the changing nature of Five Points in general.

Those conerns are just the State doing its job to provide another side to the issue. I'm willing to bet they had to look hard to find those naysayers. Just look at the results of that poll to the right. The vast majority like this project. And since its not forcefully displacing anyone, and it IS improving Five Points, there isn'y really much controversy to be had.

^True. But the article did raise a good point about design guidelines, which I'm surprised don't already exist in Five Points. I also don't expect to see enough multi-story projects coming to Five Points that will "impose" themselves on the village, thus drastically changing its character.

I'm actually ok with Five Points not having strict design guidelines. As much as I love the Vista, its buildings are starting to look more and more identical. Five Points can maintain its unique character more effecitvely by not having the same look on every building. Perhaps some broad design guideline would be appropriate- something that encourages mixed use rather than another Food Lion (because right now, that could easily happen again)... but not something that controls texture and appearance.

I'm actually ok with Five Points not having strict design guidelines. As much as I love the Vista, its buildings are starting to look more and more identical. Five Points can maintain its unique character more effecitvely by not having the same look on every building. Perhaps some broad design guideline would be appropriate- something that encourages mixed use rather than another Food Lion (because right now, that could easily happen again)... but not something that controls texture and appearance.

My thoughts exactly. I've always liked the Vista a lot better than Five points but I too have noticed that the Vista's buildings look too much alike. Once this new project is built and five points' streetscape is 100% finished, I think the Vista will come seconhand to Five Points in my book. Hek, Five Points is already starting to look good with what they've done so far with the streetscaping.

I understand the concern about the look of buildings, particularly new construction, in the Vista. This is why the Hilton isn't as daring architecturally as it could be. But we'll see what new construction brings (parking garage, hotel on Lady, etc.). I'm convinced they can depart from brick and still keep new buildings in character for the Vista.

Spartan, I agree. Five Points has a heterogenous, funky vibe, like all cool, truly urban places. The buildings' sizes, colors, textures, materials, and target market all vary in crazy disarray--which is its charm. Any further homogenization (the streetscaping has already done a lot of that) would ruin it. That would be a "Disneyification". Something broad as you suggested, to prevent suburban-style developments, IS crucial though for the city to enact throughout all of downtown, IMO.

I like this exciting new project--it will bring an urbane feel to the area. But I also want the village feel, with the original little "Tudoresque" gable-end facades of the shops, to remain amid the aroma of spilt beer, onion rings, patchouli, and clove cigarettes.