Five Points

mr. chips

Any further homogenization (the streetscaping has already done a lot of that) would ruin it. That would be a "Disneyification".

A streetscaping as an example of homogenization? I completely disagree. There is nothing wrong with improving the aesthetics of an area (it's desirable actually), not to mention the functional improvements the streetscaping has brought.

I'm glad to see this kind of project coming up there! It is a good urban use. I'm always a design critic though... I think the building itself is a on the right track, and my first reaction was really positive. Upon further viewing, it is a little bit of a Frankenstein's monster. :) I'm not necessarily opposed to architectural mash-ups, but here I think the traditional elements (like that half-circle window at the top, for instance) clash with the more modern elements (the best parts of the design).

Edited by emerging.me

I'm glad to see this kind of project coming up there! It is a good urban use. I'm always a design critic though... I think the building itself is a on the right track, and my first reaction was really positive. Upon further viewing, it is a little bit of a Frankenstein's monster. :) I'm not necessarily opposed to architectural mash-ups, but here I think the traditional elements (like that half-circle window at the top, for instance) clash with the more modern elements (the best parts of the design).

I agree with you on the design issues. While the multi-use design of the building and street front retail are to be hugely applauded, the design could be more distinctive. But overall this is great exciting news for Five Points. I'm sure the merchants aren't looking forward to more construction disruption, but the end product will make a huge positive addition to the neighborhood.

the design could be more distinctive.

Computer renderings never do a building justice. Most of the time the buildings themselves end up looking much better than their original renderings. First Citizens, for example. You can check out the old renderings on UP and then the building itslef, which looks a lot better.

Computer renderings never do a building justice. Most of the time the buildings themselves end up looking much better than their original renderings. First Citizens, for example. You can check out the old renderings on UP and then the building itslef, which looks a lot better.

You are right about renderings never looking quite like the finished product. In the case of First Citizens, I think that is a very handsome building designed bya major firm. This 5 Points building will be good in many ways, but its architectural design is pretty mediocre. Where it does stand out is in the mix of uses within the one building, I think that is very smart planning on the part of the developers, and will really be a positive addition to 5 Points. 5 Points has never been an architeturally distinctive area, one of its charms is its jumble of storefronts, so this building won't be a great departure from what's already there. (Does anyone else remember when the Blossom Shop was clad in those really cool shiny black ceramic tiles? Now they just have that blah fiberglass siding if memory serves.)

All of the energy and excitement about urban Columbia is terrific, but I've yet to see a really outstanding, distinctive building design in all the information about upcoming projects. I would love to see a new building with a lot of panache and style in Columbia, something to really stand out from all the red brick...

You are right about renderings never looking quite like the finished product. In the case of First Citizens, I think that is a very handsome building designed bya major firm. This 5 Points building will be good in many ways, but its architectural design is pretty mediocre. Where it does stand out is in the mix of uses within the one building, I think that is very smart planning on the part of the developers, and will really be a positive addition to 5 Points. 5 Points has never been an architeturally distinctive area, one of its charms is its jumble of storefronts, so this building won't be a great departure from what's already there. (Does anyone else remember when the Blossom Shop was clad in those really cool shiny black ceramic tiles? Now they just have that blah fiberglass siding if memory serves.)

All of the energy and excitement about urban Columbia is terrific, but I've yet to see a really outstanding, distinctive building design in all the information about upcoming projects. I would love to see a new building with a lot of panache and style in Columbia, something to really stand out from all the red brick...

Agreed. This is off topic, but the rendering I saw long ago of the Kline Site building that will front Huger was stunning. I hope they don't change it!

The red brick IS what will make this one stand out. Five Points has some brick, but it varies in color and texture. Its not like the Vista where its all red brick.

Think about how the building Starbucks is in, and how it fits in with the area compared to everything else.

A streetscaping as an example of homogenization? I completely disagree. There is nothing wrong with improving the aesthetics of an area (it's desirable actually), not to mention the functional improvements the streetscaping has brought.

Krazee, streetscaping is ALWAYS a homogenization. By definition, it makes the street a unified design that the existing street must conform to, which is not bad as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Streetscaping has many benefits such as burying the ugly powerlines, making the sidewalks safer, providing attractive benches and trees, etc. We have already discussed the many reasons Assembly Street needs a makeover on this board!

So I agree, there is nothing wrong with improving aesthetics. Just so they don't go too far with it now, and decide to implement a single design model for the buildings within Five Points. Can you imagine requiring all the buildings to look just like one another, perhaps with fake stucco, and painted various shades of pastel colors? God forbid! Having design standards and recommendations is okay--just no overall, homogenized design that must be adhered to (I'm praying!)

Agreed. This is off topic, but the rendering I saw long ago of the Kline Site building that will front Huger was stunning. I hope they don't change it!

Speaking of the Kline site I saw a new bulldozer there the other day; it wasn't moving, but at least it was there. (Waccamatt crosses fingers hopefully)

Krazee, streetscaping is ALWAYS a homogenization. By definition, it makes the street a unified design that the existing street must conform to, which is not bad as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Streetscaping has many benefits such as burying the ugly powerlines, making the sidewalks safer, providing attractive benches and trees, etc. We have already discussed the many reasons Assembly Street needs a makeover on this board!

I agree that technically (denotatively), a streetscaping is a type of homogenization, but the connotation that it has for urban environments somewhat differs from the strict definition, you know what I mean? That's what kind of threw me off when you used that term.

So I agree, there is nothing wrong with improving aesthetics. Just so they don't go too far with it now, and decide to implement a single design model for the buildings within Five Points. Can you imagine requiring all the buildings to look just like one another, perhaps with fake stucco, and painted various shades of pastel colors? God forbid! Having design standards and recommendations is okay--just no overall, homogenized design that must be adhered to (I'm praying!)

You make a very valid point; I agree.

Speaking of the Kline site I saw a new bulldozer there the other day; it wasn't moving, but at least it was there. (Waccamatt crosses fingers hopefully)

They must have traded the bulldozer for an excavator, because that's what was there yesterday. It'll take forever to build that place if they only use one peice of construction equipment at a time! :rofl:

They must have traded the bulldozer for an excavator, because that's what was there yesterday. It'll take forever to build that place if they only use one peice of construction equipment at a time! :rofl:

It may have been an excavator that I saw; as far as I'm concerned, one piece of heavy equipment is just like another, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice to see a project announced and begun immediately. I hate it when it takes forever for an announced project to come to fruition.

I agree...I wish they wouldn't even announce a project unless they're SURE it's gonna get done, and they plan on starting soon. (Kline, are you listening?)

Speaking of which - it's been nonstop bulldozer action at Canal Side for the past couple of weeks. They're putting in the infrastructure.

Yeah...lots of stuff going on at Canal Side right now. I pass by there everyday on my way home. There are big concrete pipes that they are installing...I'm assuming for drainage. Hopefully roads will start appearing soon.