June Forum Meet Report

doormanpoet

A small turnout but as always a great one. Cassie, Lexy, Todd, Tom, Stephen, Hank, William, and myself, John met at Provence for a nice hour of chat. We talked about the Westin and The W hotels coming to town along with the anticipation of Signature.

After the discussion we walked over to the Suntrust, Hampton, and Encore construction sites. We met a woman named Michelle and her friend over at the Suntrust Plaza site. She works for Barge Waggner and she was facinated with our group. She is going to check out this site and possibly join us next month.

We also went inside the L&C Tower to look at the 1957 ariel photograph of downtown Nashville. No surface parking lots! Lots of density! It was also a depressing photo to see all the history that has been destroyed in Nashville.

Just to let everyone know, the second weekend in August, we are planning a day trip to Chatanooga and Hank is going to give us a tour of downtown Chattanooga.

There is a lot coming out of the ground and by the July meet, we should see several more caissons coming out of the ground! It is exciting times here in Nashvegas!

See you next month.

The doorman.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A small turnout but as always a great one. Cassie, Lexy, Todd, Tom, Stephen, Hank, William, and myself, John met at Provence for a nice hour of chat. We talked about the Westin and The W hotels coming to town along with the anticipation of Signature.

After the discussion we walked over to the Suntrust, Hampton, and Encore construction sites. We met a woman named Michelle and her friend over at the Suntrust Plaza site. She works for Barge Waggner and she was facinated with our group. She is going to check out this site and possibly join us next month.

We also went inside the L&C Tower to look at the 1957 ariel photograph of downtown Nashville. No surface parking lots! Lots of density! It was also a depressing photo to see all the history that has been destroyed in Nashville.

Just to let everyone know, the second weekend in August, we are planning a day trip to Chatanooga and Hank is going to give us a tour of downtown Chattanooga.

There is a lot coming out of the ground and by the July meet, we should see several more caissons coming out of the ground! It is exciting times here in Nashvegas!

See you next month.

The doorman.

I had a great time at the forum meet today. We really had a terrific discussion about Sig Tower, the Hotel projects and such. I did get my camera to work later, and will be posting some picture from the walking tour downtown and some other a bit later.

YES, THERE WILL BE A FORUM MEET IN CHATTANOOGA on Saturday, Augaust 13th at 12:00PM Eastern time (11:00AM Central). Right now I'm tinking of having the group meet at The Pickle Barrell on Market St. I would like to invite anyone from the Nashville forum to make the two hour drive down there. I think anyone who makes the trip will enjoy it!

Here's some pictures I took today on the forum walk and around town. I decided to focus on project currently under construction. There is quite a bit construction around Nashville these days and a lot of cranes dotting the skyline. I have enough pictures to require two posts. Here's the first ones:

Viridian (33 Stories) and SunTrust (13 Stories) Cranes

P6031084.jpg

SunTrust construction

P6031095.jpg

Viridian construction

P6031099.jpg

Hampton Inn SoBro (6 Stories) construction

P6031087.jpg

Leveled Encore Site (20 Story Condo construction should begin by the end of this month) with Hampton Inn crane in background

P6031091.jpg

Davidson County Courthouse rehabilitation with construction crane

P6031092.jpg

Schermerhorn Symphony Hall construction nearing completion (opening in September)

P6031093.jpg

22 Story Icon under construction (crane by next month?) and 14 Story Terrazzo site (construction to start soon)

P6031101.jpg

18 story Adelicia Condos construction (the crane is a whopper and too big to capture all of it in this shot)

P6031105.jpg

Two cranes rising on the Vanderbilt Medical Center complex

P6031106.jpg

P6031107.jpg

The Bristol West End Condos

P6031108.jpg

Meridian West End Condos

P6031111.jpg

Park West Court Condos

P6031113.jpg

Lots lined up to be sold for redevelopment across the street from the Park West Court condos

P6031114.jpg

I'm sorry I wasn't able to come to the meeting today, but I haven't been feeling so well. Did you guys even miss your resident pain-in-the-ass ? :cry:

My father (who goes to the library every Saturday) poked his head into the restaurant and told me he only counted you 8 folks sitting in there. I guess you gotta promise more free doughnuts to pack the folks in. :lol:

Hankster, great pics. I hope I'm able to come down for the Chattanooga meeting (my father wants to do a side-trip to Brasstown Bald in Georgia, which we went to in May of last year, but hit it just when a storm came through and was enshrouded in clouds, so no view... :( )

Great pics of the major construction sites around downtown and West End! Its cool to see how much nearer to the top the construction crew of the SunTrust Tower is. Its also neat to think about how there are going to be a lot more cranes going up hopefully in the coming months to join these shown here.

As for Chattanooga, I will see where I stand closer to the 13th about making it over to Chattanooga. I do plan to attend if at all possible, as a Chattanooga trip is high on my "to do" list this year. I have no idea when I might be able to make another Nashville meet though, probably in the fall.

I've had some bad timing for several months, but plan to be back when I can. Was playing host to some out-of-town guests. If anyone has time, I'd love a PM on some info discussed, especially Sig T and Encore status

The Suntrust construction site? I am new to this forum so please forgive my ignorance. Could you give me some info on this Suntrust construction site? I did not know that they were building a new Suntrust building.

Wished I'd made the meet, but by the time William called, I'd been in the yard for several hours and was truly in my element. Trying to salvage the gardens from last summer's neglect has been a project several weeks in the making and no end in sight. But, it's just what drives me. My little "park" is really coming along. I'll post some photos when it's "ready for its close-up." Some of you saw the "before"...the "after will be really interesting I hope.

As I looked down from my perch in a tree while cutting branches I wondered if these old bones could handle a fall. Luckily, I didn't find out. I did discover that the back is not so tough and am walking a bit sideways this morning.

Glad you guys had fun. See you next month.

Sorry I couldn't make it. I had to work most of the day and getting ready to go to Pittsburgh for a funeral. Hopefully next month. Remember its Summer and there is a lot of things going on.

By the way great photos.

The Suntrust tower is going up next to the Ryman Auditorium at the corner of 4th and Commerce. It will be a very tall 13 stories. It should be rising out of ground level by this time next month I would suspect.

The Suntrust construction site? I am new to this forum so please forgive my ignorance. Could you give me some info on this Suntrust construction site? I did not know that they were building a new Suntrust building.

Here's a link to an earlier SunTrust thread on this site. There's a rendering and lot's of details.

SunTrust Thread

Great pics Hank. I keep forgetting how steep 2nd ave is. Great seeing you as always. It really was a perfect day for walking downtown. Great meeting the couple at the Suntrust site. Man, there are geeks everywhere. Hope to see all you slackers next month. :blink::D

Dave, now we know what your true passion is. You're not cheating on us over there on GardenPlanet.org are you? <_<

It's a purely "plant-tonic" relationship, Stephen. Now, the Dukefest was the true temptation...lol. j/k

Hank, those shots are good as always. They inspired me to get out a while yesterday and do a "crane tour." Amazing effect on the skyscape. Seems there's always a new one. The view of the cranes from Gateway Bridge is pretty remarkable.

It's a purely "plant-tonic" relationship, Stephen. Now, the Dukefest was the true temptation...lol. j/k

Hank, those shots are good as always. They inspired me to get out a while yesterday and do a "crane tour." Amazing effect on the skyscape. Seems there's always a new one. The view of the cranes from Gateway Bridge is pretty remarkable.

If you took a picture from the Gateway Bridge, I'd love to see it.

Just dont wear your Dazy dukes Dave. I dont think I could bear it. :wacko::w00t:

Archived