Metro Atlanta Construction

Lady Celeste

As Requested.

This is a thread dedicated to those developments OUTSIDE the city limits of Atlanta.

Perimeter Center (Fulton/DeKalb Counties)

1. The Manhattan..............................27 floors...........residental...........U/C

image_1483820.jpg

2. Perimeter Center West Phase II.....12 floors...........office.................Prop

3. Two Glenlake................................15 floors...........office.................Prop

4. Cousins Central Perimeter Residential Tower 1

5. Cousins Central Perimeter Residential Tower 2

Vinings (Cobb County)

1. Park Vinings Condominium.............37 floors...........residential..........Prop

100007.jpg

2. Herodian Way Condo I...................19 floors...........residential..........Prop

3. Herodian Way Condo II..................19 floors...........residential..........Prop

4. Horizon at Wildwood.......................17 floors...........residential..........Aprv

horizonatwildwood0li.png

5. Cresent Ridge

main.jpg

Duluth (Gwinnett County)

1. North Residential Tower..................25 floors...300ft...residential.......Prop

image_3104370.jpg

2. South Residential Tower..................25 floors...300ft...residential......Prop

3. Zen Urban Resort...........................12 floors...240ft........................Prop

Stockbridge (Henry County)

1. Eagle's Landing Tower.....................25 floors...........residential.........Prop

image_1874899.jpg

This is a rough list of highrises outside the city limits of Atlanta. I'm sure someone can add the countless lifestyle centers, midrises and other developments that are taking place in some of Atlanta's most visible suburbs.

I hope this helps Socaguy. :thumbsup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thanks Lady Celeste. Anyone know if the two 12 floor buildings at the Chamblee CDC campus are completed? If not we could add them to the list.

Also, anyone know of the Star Towers development at 285 and Buford Hwy. Last time I was over that way there was a sign with 3-4 midrise/highrise towers depicted.

Great thread, Celeste! It seems like there is some big new project popping up in the Alpharetta, Cumberland and Perimeter areas all the time. I think the latter two areas in particular have tremendous potential to mature into very livable urban centers.

I am also amazed by all the development in Alpharetta, although it strikes me as considerably more decentralized.

Wow, thanks Lady Celeste. Anyone know if the two 12 floor buildings at the Chamblee CDC campus are completed? If not we could add them to the list.

Also, anyone know of the Star Towers development at 285 and Buford Hwy. Last time I was over that way there was a sign with 3-4 midrise/highrise towers depicted.

socaguy - There are two new tower cranes up at the CDC site, I went by there yesterday. I appears they are just getting underway on it - one building looked like it was out of the ground to maybe the 2nd floor.

I just saw the Star Towers sign myself a couple of weeks ago, and had never heard of it until then. It looks great in renderings, but I have not heard anything about this one at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Le Corbusier, the whole towers in the park thing. This kind of development looks good from afar but looses it's luster as you start walking around.

I'm really starting to be turned off by these mega projects. Neighborhoods should develop organically over time, not in one fell swoop. This is what happened in the "original" Atlantic Station and IMO the project is worse off for it. City Center in Buckhead appears to be ready to repeat the same mistakes and I guess we can add this one to the list as well.

But the project will probably work because "Gwinett is Great" and in case you were wondering where success lives, aparantly it's in Gwinett.

I completely agree. Just because there are 10 towers doesn't mean the project is instantly good. Look how far apart everything is! Jeez, what is this, Brasilia (which, by the way, essentially proved modern urban design *cough* Le Corbusier *cough*is a pile of soul-less crap). When will they learn? I don't even understand this from a developer point of view either. If Wayne Mason was really interested in making money he would add much more density to the area. And second of all, this is Gwinett, a suburb generally made of people who don't want to live in Atlanta. Why try and bring Atlanta to them when there is plenty of space to fill in up, mid, and downtown? This is just more slash and burn urbanism thanks to cheap land, pushing the density wave further into the reaches of what is left of rural areas.

Some observations:

1) Architectural drawings are complete fantasies. You can take a sewage storage pond and draw it to look inviting. This is exactly what happened when engineers back in the 60s wanted to turn Piedmont Park's meadow into a sewage treatment pond. They release a pretty drawing with trees and animals and called it Atlanta Lake. The public thought it was great until Maria Saporta's father released his own drawing showing what it was more likely to look like.

Just look at the drawing. Each of the tower clones has a large sparkle on the top. How about photoshopping that out and seeing how much plainer the development looks? In reality it's not going to look like it does in the drawing but it was added in to make it look like a sparkly diamond.

Now look at the strip of buildings in the lower right hand corner. Look a little bit to the left. See the exact same buildings? At a totally different scale? WTF? They obviously cut and pasted it in there just to fill space. I think I counted that particular strip of buildings peppered through the drawing half a dozen times.

See all the pretty city lights? Does that part of Gwinnett really look like Los Angeles viewed from Mulholland Drive? Because that's obviously what they were going for. The drawing is pure propaganda that resembles nothing like what the project will look like when finished.

2) Building a bunch of towers that suck at the ground level is stupid. These look like the towers in the park type of development that has been a disaster every place it has been tried. Density does not equal a great urban environment. Try working and living in the Cumberland part of town without a car. They have lots of towers but it is clearly the domain of the automobile. This plan looks the same. Only the most dedicated is going to choose walking over driving in a development like this.

3) Live, work, play... where is the work component? The article may have gotten it wrong but it sounds like nothing but condos and stores. While the stores will employ a small number of people, the vast majority of the residents will have to travel elsewhere everyday for work

4) Transit? Well, it is a dangerous walk to Gwinnett's bus hub from the development but they really need some sort of transit with a reserved right of way that connects this node to other activity nodes in the region. Anything less than that will mean an even bigger traffic nightmare than currently exists.

5) Density and towers in the suburbs? Stupid, right? Not really. Intown Atlanta doesn't have to be the only point of focus in the region. Creating other nodes of activity is a good thing but only if people who use them start living near them. There are too many people who live in Newnan and drive to Duluth (or make other similar long distance suburb to suburb commutes). A dozen or so activities nodes in which the majority of workers and shoppers live nearby would be great. A dozen nodes in which most of the people going to those nodes are from far away is a disaster.

Good points, Aubie. Even if Gwinnett were to do residential towers, why so many at the same time? I think low- to mid-scale residential developments would work the best there. Also, this development looks totally out of place, as there is really no urban context to speak of in Gwinnett. At least if this were to go in Buckhead or Midtown, we'd already have something to work with so it would have connectivity with the rest of the city.

It's just a waste. Like I said, why bring Atlanta to people that live away from Atlanta on purpose? Especially when there is so much to fill in Atlanta. It's just spreading the region too thin, really. Why try to make random "urban" nodes that have no context with their surroundings instead of adding MUCH needed density to a the vacant, underused, and full of potential Atlanta? Waste of steel. Waste of labor. Waste of time.

If we want Gwinnett to be more urban we have to start somewhere

Yeah, but not with a 10 tower development. I think new urbanist-like projects would be better for Gwinnett myself.

Does Gwinnett have any urbanity at all to speak of? What's downtown Lawrenceville like?

I intern in the vicinity and I have yet to see 40 acres of land available, unless they bulldoze about 60 strip malls. Also, Pleasant Hill Road is THE worst road in Gwinnett County, its' constantly packed to the brim with cars. The road is not meant to handle that much traffic. For an example, it can take upwards of 30 minutes to travel 6 red lights trying to get to 85 on Pleasant Hill. Theres nothing pleasent about the road and for that matter if it werent a crime, I'd explode those water towers with Gwinnett is Great and that crap on them. It's a clear cut wasteland with too many people and too many strip malls[end rant]

Mason doesn't give a rats a** about what his proposed abomination would do to the community immediately sorounding it. Just look at what he wants to build along the Beltline ROW that he owns. 38 and 39 story condo towers at the intersection of 10th and Monroe would turn Monroe into a parking lot. The road already is at a D service level.

I intern in the vicinity and I have yet to see 40 acres of land available, unless they bulldoze about 60 strip malls. Also, Pleasant Hill Road is THE worst road in Gwinnett County, its' constantly packed to the brim with cars. The road is not meant to handle that much traffic. For an example, it can take upwards of 30 minutes to travel 6 red lights trying to get to 85 on Pleasant Hill. Theres nothing pleasent about the road and for that matter if it werent a crime, I'd explode those water towers with Gwinnett is Great and that crap on them. It's a clear cut wasteland with too many people and too many strip malls[end rant]

This is supposed to go where there are currently two mostly empty strip malls across from the mall.

Very Le Corbusier, the whole towers in the park thing. This kind of development looks good from afar but looses it's luster as you start walking around.

I'm really starting to be turned off by these mega projects. Neighborhoods should develop organically over time, not in one fell swoop. This is what happened in the "original" Atlantic Station and IMO the project is worse off for it. City Center in Buckhead appears to be ready to repeat the same mistakes and I guess we can add this one to the list as well.

But the project will probably work because "Gwinett is Great" and in case you were wondering where success lives, aparantly it's in Gwinett.

This is not directed towards you ryan, but jus tthe general sentiment...

My thoughts are exactly as newnan says below:

If we want Gwinnett to be more urban we have to start somewhere

Gwinnett is suburban paradise. This type of project is excellent for improving that situation. This is just a rendering.... Its just eye cany while they design the real thing. Identical towers aren't really appealing, but the project as a whole looks good. The difference between this and LeCorbusier is that it includes the urban village and not just random identical towers... This looks like it will be great for Gwinnett. Lets not discount a project just because it isn't downtown. They do need to make room for a MARTA line though.

Archived