Metro Atlanta Construction

Lady Celeste

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er, how do you equate my statement that there are "not huge numbers" to "no one"? It's kind of hard to discuss things when people couch their views in that kind of hyperbole.

I would assume that similar numbers of people from East Cobb, North Fulton, and West Gwinnett all work down there.

I would assume that similar numbers of people from East Cobb, North Fulton, and West Gwinnett all work down there.

Yeah, I would imagine so. However, we're not a town where most workers commute into the central commercial areas. The bulk of the work force commutes from one suburb to another. That's evident even as you travel the freeways in downtown -- most folks are just passing through.

This is not directed towards you ryan, but jus tthe general sentiment...Gwinnett is suburban paradise. This type of project is excellent for improving that situation. This is just a rendering.... Its just eye cany while they design the real thing. Identical towers aren't really appealing, but the project as a whole looks good. The difference between this and LeCorbusier is that it includes the urban village and not just random identical towers... This looks like it will be great for Gwinnett. Lets not discount a project just because it isn't downtown. They do need to make room for a MARTA line though.

Sure Gwinnett has to start somewhere, but not here. The scale of this development is just totally out of place. Something low- to mid-scale would work much better, IMO.

Gwinnett County has, after Fulton County, the highest ratio of residents that work inside of Gwinnett County - over 50%. Then factor that the other residents work to Perimeter Center, Alpharetta as well as Buckhead & Downtown / Midtown, it isn't as substantial as you would think.

But - MARTA line or not - Buford Hwy will have a BRT line possibly by 2030 that would connect Duluth to Doraville MARTA as well as by BRT to Perimeter Center. It's not MARTA - but considering the cost to expand that far into Gwinnett County I think it's the best alternative.

A MARTA line to where? I'm not being argumentative, but it's not like huge numbers of people need to commute into the city.

Transit should not be built just so people can get downtown. Whats the number 1 problem with MARTA today? Though I'm sure you locals have many other ideas, one of its major problems is that it doesn't go into the suburbs and connect them. You have to break this idea that you need a centralized system. Atlanta is a modern city, ands its not built like the big cities in the north, where there is a very large work force centered around the center city.

Most people in Atlanta do not work downtown, though it (and midtown, etc) is a strong node of sorts. A new MARTA line doesn't necessarily have to be a heavy rail conneciton to the existing rail network. It could be LRT, BRT, or whatever. The new Beltline LRT system they are building will be a tremendous asset to Atlanta. But if you look at the scale of that development, and take the traffic that already exists around the location they want to build and just use a little common sense, you will see that the vehicular traffic problems in that area will only get worse if mass transit is not included in some form. And maybe it will... I just don't see any evidence of that.

IMO every place inside the Perimeter needs to have access to mass transit that works.

As I and Im sure others have mentioned on here before, there needs to be a line that connects the vinings area to the perimeter area and then on over to the gwinnett mall area with other stops on the way. This would connect the three largest areas besides maybe the northpoint area, but that could be covered with an extension of the north line of MARTA. and then also have lines that connect vinings to buckhead and the gwinnett mall area to the doraville station. I think this would make transit much more viable at least for the northside of atlanta.

^ Like this one? http://www.atlantaregional.com/i285transit/

Of course plans are just plans, I can only hope the Northwest BRT, the Buford Hwy BRT, & the above BRT line will be built.

That one is alright, but I would rather see it connect all three business centers directly. rather than running right along 285. but i guess the right of way is much cheaper this way. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the highrise going up right inside 285 in the Perimeter Center area? It looks to be 12-15 floors (so far) and is in the same vicinity as the old hewlett packard building.

Maybe some medical building. The HP building is empty already, as I understand it.

They're also building a bridge in that area.

Nice shot Andrea. What is that building under construction in your photo? I came up 75 the other day and saw the new Condo going up at Wildwood but this looks different.

soca, actually, that may be the building at Wildwood. Now that I think about it, I was way east of Smyrna, on the Fulton County side of the river.

I was so dizzy from climbing up that hill I forgot where I was.

:silly:

Archived