Things to do in LA area?

suburban george3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since no one's answering, I'll give some suggestions.

My must thing to do while in the LA area is hit Malibu. It's about the closest undeveloped beach to town. You can pull right off the PCH and just watch the waves, or even swim (although it's a little rocky in places).

If you're up for another beach, my next favorite is Manhattan, which has a nice town setting at the top of the hill with pubs, shops and restaurants.

The Third Street Promenade and pier in Santa Monica is certainly worth seeing at least once. Parking is free on the weekends in the nearby garages.

Chinatown is also certainly interesting. Much better Chinese food can be had a little bit to the east in San Gabriel though.

The Walk of Fame is good to do once, and that part of Hollywood is pretty lively on Friday and Saturday nights.

If you're up for an overnight driving trip, Santa Barbara is awesome. Ventura is also very cool and a little closer to town.

LA also has quite a few excellent museums.

I'm not sure what else you're looking to do though. I don't shop, and typically stay away from anything really tourist-oriented. It would help to also know if you're traveling alone or with kids or what.

I'm not sure what else you're looking to do though. I don't shop, and typically stay away from anything really tourist-oriented. It would help to also know if you're traveling alone or with kids or what.

Thanks for responding! I am traveling alone, I am visiting an elderly aunt/uncle who live in Rowland Heights one day. The rest of the time is all about me and doing whatever I want to do! The beaches sound great and relaxing... I also do like museums, history, good eclectic eating joints, and a lively get wild night life!

:yahoo:

One cool thing you don't see anywhere else is the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

Go see what's going on in Hollywood these days. It's being revitalized in a big way. If you like record stores go to Amoeba...the best one I've ever seen.

Another thing that would be very LA is to go to Hollywood...either the boulevard or Melrose is good...and walk down the street until you find someone giving away tickets to tv show tapings. It will take about two minutes to find twenty opportunities for tickets. If you want Leno you have to go to Burbank and stand in line all day, though. But if you choose Price is Right maybe you'll win big.

The Observatory was closed for a bit but it might be open now...if so check it out.

Go eat at Fatburger is the best thing to do, though.

• 1 month later...

Since no one's answering, I'll give some suggestions.

My must thing to do while in the LA area is hit Malibu. It's about the closest undeveloped beach to town. You can pull right off the PCH and just watch the waves, or even swim (although it's a little rocky in places).

If you're up for another beach, my next favorite is Manhattan, which has a nice town setting at the top of the hill with pubs, shops and restaurants.

The Third Street Promenade and pier in Santa Monica is certainly worth seeing at least once. Parking is free on the weekends in the nearby garages.

Chinatown is also certainly interesting. Much better Chinese food can be had a little bit to the east in San Gabriel though.

The Walk of Fame is good to do once, and that part of Hollywood is pretty lively on Friday and Saturday nights.

If you're up for an overnight driving trip, Santa Barbara is awesome. Ventura is also very cool and a little closer to town.

LA also has quite a few excellent museums.

If you go to malibu, go to el matador beach. It is an interesting place.

• 1 year later...

You have quite a while.

Have you been to Santa Barbara before?

This is something I always recommend as a day trip (or maybe overnight): Channel Island National Park

You can take a boat out to one of the islands for a few hours, an overnight camp, or a kayaking trip. I did Anacapa in '04 and had an amazing time. I've been wanting to go back since then. The boats leave from Ventura and Oxnard.

You could also head down to San Diego. It offers a whole new plethora of things to see and do.

Archived