Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M II A II R II K

Beautiful & Photogenic Juneau, Alaska

22 posts in this topic

Not much of a skyline, but great scenery! How tall are those mountains behind downtown?

Allan, well theres only like 40,000 people there however i think due to the limited amount of space there that if the city continues to grow they might not have much of a choice but to go up and i think that would be wild! :P

They've got a pretty good skyline for 40,000 people if you ask me. My city has 50,000 people & the tallest building we've got is a 3 story house. LOL.

^Oh thats no fun :(

Yeah, no skyscrapers here! The heart of suburbia :(.

I remember seeing a video like 5+ years ago about Alaska which showed for a couple of secs a "modern" building in Juneau maybe 6 or 8 stories tall. I can't see anything that stands out in those pics though.

What city do you live in or suburb?

I live on the very northern edge of the Detroit metro, about 60 miles from the city. It's nothing but sprawl & a few open farm fields that are quickly being turned into subdivisions. There's no notable architecture, just typical American sprawl & poor urban planning.

Luickily I am moving closer to Detroit in the fall. Then I can go downtown & take lots of pics for the forum :).

wow.. i wish those buildings could be added to Anchorage :D

^I know what you mean! :P

Allan, thats cool Detroit seems like interesting city and i really hope that things will get better so it can grow and prosper once again and that it can shake off that negative image.

Allan, thats cool Detroit seems like interesting city and i really hope that things will get better so it can grow and prosper once again and that it can shake off that negative image.

Detroit is a very interesting city. I'm hoping its negative image will eventually fade. But when a city's population goes from 2,100,000 to only 918,000 in only 50 years, the negative image is hard to get rid of. When you add in the race riots & high murder rate, it makes things even worse. Detroit still has the "Murder City" reputation, despite the fact that our murder rate has been cut in half.

So on my list!

^mine too! I think id like to take that cruiseship ride to Juneau up to Anchorage that would be awesome.

Allan, you know what i dont get is why the murder rate is so high there? Is it because theres a lot of gangs, poor people, or drugs? It seems like it has been that way forever.... :(

Allan, you know what i dont get is why the murder rate is so high there? Is it because theres a lot of gangs, poor people, or drugs? It seems like it has been that way forever....  :(

Well there are gangs, poor people, and drugs, so those are the major problems. Unfortunately the majority of people living in the city live in poverty. It is improving, albeit very slowly.

I think those are some tall buildings for a city that size. I mean, Juneau doesn't look that big and their skyline almost rivals that of Boise, Idaho.

I think boise has a nice skyline. I just wish it wasnt full of neo nazis :angry:

I don't think Boise has too much a problem with Neo-Nazi's i think most were located in Northern Idaho.

Man I really dig the lower SE coastline of Alaskan cities (and islands.) Especially Juneau. I've been to many places along the route to Anch., but, Juneau was it's own world - nearly literally. Unforgettable place!