Historic Miami Skycrapers

bobliocatt

We all know that Miami is a relatively new city in the middle of a huge skyscraper boom. You'll be suprised that this new kid on the block does have several historic skyscrapers too. Here are a few from downtownmiami.com

Miami News/Freedom Tower - 1924

aaa.sized.jpg

Congress Building - 1925

aab.sized.jpg

Alfred I. Dupont Building - 1938

aac.sized.jpg

Langford Building - 1925

aah.sized.jpg

Biscayne Building - 1925

aan.sized.jpg

Florida National Bank - 1922

aai.sized.jpg

Capitol Building - 1926 (being renovated into lofts)

aac.sized.jpg

Dade County Courthouse - 1928

aar.sized.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Well I don't see many towers like the Freedom Tower outside of Miami or LA. The mediterrean revival is something that really makes miami stand out in my opinion.

The Freedom Tower has a twin, the Biltmore in Coral Gables (1926).

top03.jpg

How about Miami's first Deco building, The Scottish Rite Temple from 1923.

srbuilding1.JPG

There's lots of history here, if you know where to look.

It's on the other side of 95, next to Lummus Park and the River. It's a neat little area that's been decimated by tall public housing projects. There's still some really neat old houses still standing though. I wish 95 would come down and be turned into a wide avenue.

And while I agree that most of the big 80's scrapers are sub-urban in nature, I'd hardly call that "most" of downtown. There's plenty of retail and streetlife downtown. It just needs a dose of residential to get it going again.

Archived