What is wrong with our city?

PghUSA

No link should be needed here, it is all over the news, some "hot dose" of heroin is being passed around the city with over a dozen ODs many resulting in deaths or auto wrecks. The police and state agencies are all over this but it is disheartining to realize how prevalent the drug culture is in this region (much of it coming from Philadelphia and Detroit but much more being homegrown). Even now in some of the better suburbs. I have a feeling that some of this is the self-loathing of some indoctrinated by the MTV, Mad. Ave. and Hollywood Blvd. portrayal of what kind of behavior is cool and that Pittsburgh just isn't so you 'burgh kids better try harder. I know that is an over simplistic view on things, the same way military recruitment went through the roof after Top Gun came out. Hollywood and MadAve has no impact on the drug culture, or civic loathing, that's why we all know where Iraq is and are still trying to figure out who won American Idol. I'm mad but at least I'm honest, interested in other views on this.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I would like to know is: How does Pittsburgh compare with other medium-large cities when it comes to drug dealing and using? I've lived in other cities before and didn't notice any more of a problem here. Actually, in Orlando, I noticed a lot more apparent drug users.

In any case, it's still a problem that needs to be dealt with over here.

Maaz

I don't know why it's much of a suprise. We have long lost the "drug war" that the government spends so many billions on to no avail. These deaths are an direct result of public policy that sends drug distribution underground. It does nothing to curtail it's use, yet makes it so much more dangerous. All that money would be a lot better spent to provide better mental health development for kids and treatment for adults.

Here's a WaPo article about the pain killer they're using as an additive.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6060300602.html

Blue, is that known that they are using that painkiller? Last I heard it was a working theory of the police. I know some people in New Castle and have read press coverage about West Virginia and SE and SC Ohio about the dealers coming down from Detroit and NYC for greener pastures with lax law enforcement. It is so sad to see what was once the safest region in the nation be taken over by displaced hardcore dealers bent on making a buck from destroying the fabric of life here.

Archived