Adesso

krazeeboi

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Those pictures were taking in the afternoon, so I believe the Main St. side gets some morning sun.

Am I wrong in assuming those will be buried? Adesso will not look very luxurious with the cluster of poles and power lines along S. Main. Not to mention the ones in front of Horizon I running along both Main and Blossom. :sick:

Since that part of Main is not a busy thoroughfare, but a very wide street, it would be great if they could narrow it and make it a park-like street with lush plantings, a median with trees and places to sit all along. Something really imaginative. There are already several restaurants there that could have a more extensive bistro or sidewalk cafe style seating that would make this whole area a "destination". Miyos, Immaculate Consumption, the Mexican restaurant at the other end, and several smaller restaurants are already there. Why not do something special here?

Since that part of Main is not a busy thoroughfare, but a very wide street, it would be great if they could narrow it and make it a park-like street with lush plantings, a median with trees and places to sit all along. Something really imaginative. There are already several restaurants there that could have a more extensive bistro or sidewalk cafe style seating that would make this whole area a "destination". Miyos, Immaculate Consumption, the Mexican restaurant at the other end, and several smaller restaurants are already there. Why not do something special here?

I wonder if any of the "movers and shakers" in Columbia ever read these posts? Maybe they would get some good ideas! Perhaps if developers (like those of Adesso), and USC development officers, and city council people could be clued in to these discussions, it might stimulate some creative thinking, and let them feel the pulse of the citizenry. Any ideas on how to alert them to this discussion group? Can we be more pro-active in letting them know about it?

• 2 months later...

I'm not really too fond of the beige/tan external color scheme they went with--I think it will make for one plain jane, vanilla-looking intersection, along with the Horizon block research buildings and the honors college buildings--it came out looking a little better than I thought it would earlier in the construction process.

Every time we have this discussion I bring it back to San Francisco. I know Columbia isn't San Francisco, but we have a touch of a lot of different places here, and Adesso brings ol' Frisco home, largely because of the coloring scheme. It's even on a hill. I like it. Challenge yourselves to see it as a unique architectural specimen.

A side note: Today's The State newspaper has a wonderful article on Columbia's modern architecture in the "Living and Art" section.

I don't have a problem with the location--that's great. I also join you in giving kudos to the massing and scale. I even have no problem with the color.

It's the building materials that are cheesy as all get out. It's like they ran out of money at the end and just slapped up synthetic stucco and plastic windows with NO trim. The seams are even showing at each pre-fab panel of the cladding! I thought the synthetic stucco trend died out long ago, partly due to its shoddiness and the su bsequent lawsuits. Adesso's designers have "gone to town" with it, even adding a faux cornice "crown molding" made of it that makes it look like a strip mall over in Harbison. Ugh. :sick:

USC, however, is using QUALITY materials in their construction, thank goodness. Limestone, or at least concrete made to look like it, is used extensively in the Horizon development's garage and in other buildings, high-quality blond brick (which I love). Kudos, USC! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Baker Brothers American Deli will move into the ground level space at Adesso. The sign is already up and another sign said it'll open July 2008. I believe there is more retail space available, but not completely sure.

Here's the link to the deli website: Baker Brothers

What a transformation that block has experienced compared to the old Addam's Bookstore and Pizza Hut. There are lots of trees and plenty of shade which makes for a pleasant walk :good:. I wonder how they are selling.

When I emailed the sales representative, she said that they have been selling steadily since they started closing in March. The building is also completely finished and they are in the process of trying to get another restaurant or cafe to come to the site. Hopefully they are selling well because I want this to succeed. 195k for a 1 bedroom may be intimidating to some though. (295k for a 2 bedroom)

When I emailed the sales representative, she said that they have been selling steadily since they started closing in March. The building is also completely finished and they are in the process of trying to get another restaurant or cafe to come to the site. Hopefully they are selling well because I want this to succeed. 195k for a 1 bedroom may be intimidating to some though. (295k for a 2 bedroom)

Archived