Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bears

Memphis Greenbelts

4 posts in this topic

Since this board is pretty dead, all you Memphians must be out having a great time. This article got me wondering about the greenbelts. How many people actually use them and are they nice? http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...4750505,00.html

I know Memphis is along the Mississippi River Trail that starts in Bemidji, MN and ends in New Orleans but what about the rest? Theres one that follows the Wolf River, another along part of the Nonconnah, and a small one near Getwell and I-240. How will greenbelts impact development in Memphis?

I don't think it constitutes a greenbelt, but the only trail in Memphis I've ever walked on is the Bluffwalk, and it's really nice.

I have hiked the Lucius Burch State Natural Area, located in Shelby Farms. It travels along the north side of the Wolf River from Germantown Parkway to I-40. It's surprisingly tranquil and devoid of many signs of urbanization, except for the Walnut Grove bridge and a railroad tressel.

The closer these greenbelts get to heavily urbanized areas, the more potential users might get concerned about safety. This is known to be a problem in the densely-wooded areas of city parks.

The best trails in the metro area that I know of are in Meeman-Shelby State Park.

There was an article in the CA or MBJ a few weeks ago talking about this effort to turn the western edge of TN, along the MS River, into a huge greenbelt/recreational area. The article mentioned trails, parks, lakes, resorts and much more all along the banks of the river. They even have a website, which I checked out. If the plan comes to be, it would be very impressive.

Does anyone remember seeing that article or remember the name of the organization? I want to say the TN Dept. of Tourism was heavily involved in the project, but I'm not 100% sure.