Global warming

JDC

I think that a Senate committee releasing a press release in which it ignores the work of the NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, a "private, nonprofit institution that provides science and technology advice under a congressional charter" by its own definition-- and prefers instead the work of junkscience.com, is a very clear sign of how far our government's vital functions have been compromised for the benefit of our current leadership's large donor base in the past 6 years.

While I have stated repeatedly (ad nauseum to some on here, I'm sure) that it is ridiculous that environmental issues always seem to come down to politics when they are much more rightly about morals, I agree completely with you. It is absurd how much science has been shunned by the current administration and their lackeys in Congress and increasingly on the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I typed it. As in, we're not counting hanging replies.

I'm glad the issue was solved with electronic touch-screen voting machines. Those didn't have any "malfunctions," right North Carolina? Ohio? You take your republican-owned and operated voting apparatus and rest assured there won't be any faulty chads to mess around with.

Yeah.

Back to the topic at hand.

The way I typed it. As in, we're not counting hanging replies.

I'm glad the issue was solved with electronic touch-screen voting machines. Those didn't have any "malfunctions," right North Carolina? Ohio? You take your republican-owned and operated voting apparatus and rest assured there won't be any faulty chads to mess around with.

Yeah.

Back to the topic at hand.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

It never left... it was still playing at the Colony in Raleigh and the Galaxy in Cary over the weekend. The movie website says it is now playing at the Carolina in Durham and the Chelsea in Chapel Hill as well.

I wanted to check out the electric car at the Galaxy premier of Who Killed the Electric Car on Saturday, but I had to work at Downtown Raleigh Live. I saw Little Miss Sunshine at the Galaxy on Sunday and saw that someone signed the movie poster there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

another global warming article.

In fresh drafts of a summary of its next report, the group, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, has said that it is more than 90 percent likely that global warming since 1950 has been driven mainly by the buildup of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases, and that more warming and rising sea levels are on the way.

A new report is out on global warming from a panel of intl scientists in Paris. Apparently, some are unhappy with the "sugar-coated" numbers due to the recently observed rapid melting in Greenland and Antarctica.

BTW, I heard a political columnist predict Al Gore would win an Oscar for "An Inconvenient Truth." That would be something, huh?

Serious news on the global warming front:

Research by an international group of scientists suggests that temperatures and sea levels have been rising at or above the maximum rates proposed during the last Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report in 2001.

In 2001, it was "likely" that human activities lay behind the trends observed at various parts of the planet; "likely" in IPCC terminology means "between 66% and 90%".

Now, the Panel concludes, it is at least 90% certain that human emissions of greenhouse gases rather than natural variations are warming the planet's surface.

"This report closes the doors to those who were able to detract from the issue, and puts an end to the notion of uncertainty and doubt about man's role in climate change," commented United Nations Environment Programme executive director Achim Steiner.

_42524119_climate_graphs_203.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I attended a symposium on global climate change at NCSU last night... it continues tonight and Wed night with additional speakers.

It was funny because I got home and turned on the news and the lead CBS story was about a Texas Utility (UTX?) bailed our by Goldman Sachs, etc, in the biggest private buyout in US history... the big news was that the buyers promised to axe 8 of 11 new coal-fired plant proposals and reduce CO2 emissions as well. Then Kouric pointed out that An Inconvienent Truth won the Oscar for Best Documentary Film. So then I go to a lecture on global warming and the auditorium was packed so full they had to turn people away due to fire codes... so it was on my mind big-time.

Anyway, it all just solidified my view that we are WAY behind in dealing with global warming (have we even begun to deal with it?) and we really don't have as much time to think about it as most believe. Speaker Elizabeth Kolbert said that many climate modelers predict 2007 will be the warmest year in history (even warmer than 2005) and that the global ice sheet could be gone as soon as 2040.

Personally, I think the folks on the board who live in walkable urban areas and work close to their jobs are on the right track, as in the future with $3-4 gas prices and greater regs on emissions and God knows what else, the people who have chosen to live in an efficient manner will come out ahead of the rest of the nation.

• 4 weeks later...

Al Gore spoke before a Congressional Committee yesterday about global warming. It will be interesting to see what happens politically over the following months with this issue. I think we may be past the point at which it's politically viable for politicicans to continue stonewalling and pretending it's not an issue. There's a lot of momentum now, I just hope it's translated into action.

Never heard about this before, but LiveEarth is a concert that's going to be held on July 7, with a global climate focus.

• 2 weeks later...

The US Supreme Court ruled Monday that EPA must regulate CO2 & other greenhouse gas emissions. This probably means the beginning of a new direction in US policy on global warming. Congress and or the President via EPA will have to come up with some recommendations on how it proposes to regulate those emissions. It's a pretty strong victory for pro-environment groups such as the NRDC and leading edge states such as CA, NY, etc.

Archived