Fairgrounds Development

Bears

It looks like Save Libertyland's voices have fallen on deaf ears. I really do think they should move a few of the rides to Tunica. They're moving the carosel to Mud Island but other than that, I think their still debating on who actually owns the rides, the City of Memphis or the Mid-South Fair officials. I think the Zippin Pippin should also be relocated but that might be impossible because of the age of the ride. Since Graceland already said they won't buy it, why not send it to the MGM themepark? Elvis filmed Jailhouse Rock and a few other movies with them.

So since it doesn't looke like Libertyland will be saved, what should be done there? I think a community center alone would be a big waste. As the Body Head Bangerz say "Do it big!!!" Here's what I would propose...

-Large parking garage

-Free Wi-Fi hotspot

-A large pet park for a new Libertybowl in the future. The park will be relocated to where the Libertybowl is now. A pet-free with playgrounds, benches, grills, and picnic tables.

-Community Center with a skatepark partially under a canopy, library, meeting rooms, tennis, basketball, and racquetball courts, indoor and outdoor pool with slides, spa, fitness rooms, ice rink that can be covered for roller skating.

-A "Main Street" with hotels, offices, shops, cafes, resturants, bars, and studio apartments and townhomes. Capped off with something like Dundas Square

EDIT-On the Goner board, someone posted a link to this survey. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=294842138990

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Save Libertyland's voices have fallen on deaf ears. I really do think they should move a few of the rides to Tunica. They're moving the carosel to Mud Island but other than that, I think their still debating on who actually owns the rides, the City of Memphis or the Mid-South Fair officials. I think the Zippin Pippin should also be relocated but that might be impossible because of the age of the ride. Since Graceland already said they won't buy it, why not send it to the MGM themepark? Elvis filmed Jailhouse Rock and a few other movies with them.

So since it doesn't looke like Libertyland will be saved, what should be done there? I think a community center alone would be a big waste. As the Body Head Bangerz say "Do it big!!!" Here's what I would propose...

-Large parking garage

-Free Wi-Fi hotspot

-A large pet park for a new Libertybowl in the future. The park will be relocated to where the Libertybowl is now. A pet-free with playgrounds, benches, grills, and picnic tables.

-Community Center with a skatepark partially under a canopy, library, meeting rooms, tennis, basketball, and racquetball courts, indoor and outdoor pool with slides, spa, fitness rooms, ice rink that can be covered for roller skating.

-A "Main Street" with hotels, offices, shops, cafes, resturants, bars, and studio apartments and townhomes. Capped off with something like Dundas Square

EDIT-On the Goner board, someone posted a link to this survey. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=294842138990

Those are some nice ideas, bears. I agree that whoever gains control of the site should "do it big." I also agree that any new ideas should incorporate large amounts of open space. Being open-minded about it is the most important thing--like Gene Carlisle said, it's the next 50 years and not the previous 50 years that we are talking about.

About the carousel on Mud Island...I would love to see something like London has and have a major Ferris wheel out there as well...right on the river. It could be nice if it was done properly.

The "eye"? I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of what Las Vegas is planning. But, you gotta remember, there are two planned in Mississippi, one as part of the Myriad, and one at Riverbend (?). That doesn't mean either of them will be built. Maybe our metro can build like four or five of them. One in W. Memphis, one downtown, two in Mississippi, maybe another one somewhere else . . .

Good news from Save Libertyland. Libertyland can open by July if T-REX can take over.

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=5002839

The "eye"? I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of what Las Vegas is planning. But, you gotta remember, there are two planned in Mississippi, one as part of the Myriad, and one at Riverbend (?). That doesn't mean either of them will be built. Maybe our metro can build like four or five of them. One in W. Memphis, one downtown, two in Mississippi, maybe another one somewhere else . . .

From the London Eye, you can see all the landmarks like Big Ben, The City, Canary Wharf, BT Tower, The Thames, MI6, London and Tower Bridge, and S.t Paul's Cathedral. From Riverbend's Voyager Wheel, you'll probably see Desoto County sprawl, the Tunica skyline, and the Myriads ferris wheel. :lol: Maybe Clark Tower and part of Downtown on a clear day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

the latest from the CA: article

a few main points from the article:

* Former county mayor Jim Rout will most likely become the Mid-South Fair's new general manager.

* The fair will need a new home after 2008. An assistant to mayor Herenton says a move is "inevitable."

* The Agricenter is the "no-brainer" alternative location for the fair.

* Only the Liberty Bowl and the CMOM are sure to stay on the fairgrounds.

* The Kroc Center proposal will likely be the first new development-- "a public community center that has been the subject of continuing negotiations between the Salvation Army and the city"

the latest from the CA: article

a few main points from the article:

* Former county mayor Jim Rout will most likely become the Mid-South Fair's new general manager.

* The fair will need a new home after 2008. An assistant to mayor Herenton says a move is "inevitable."

* The Agricenter is the "no-brainer" alternative location for the fair.

* Only the Liberty Bowl and the CMOM are sure to stay on the fairgrounds.

* The Kroc Center proposal will likely be the first new development-- "a public community center that has been the subject of continuing negotiations between the Salvation Army and the city"

The Agricenter/Shelby Farms area is definately a no-brainer but imagine how much worse traffic will be on Germantown Parkway :shok: It would be nice if the Cordova line would be opened and MATA offered free transfer buses at the Shelby Farms station. Parking would definately be easier in Cordova than it is at the Fairgrounds and Cooper Young area.

Archived