28th St. & Division train bridges painted

GrSportsGuy

Well, I drove through there today and even though they've been painted a dull grey, they look much better than they did. I don't know whatever happened to the colorful graphics that were going to have "Welcome to Grand Rapids" and "Welcome to Wyoming."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I drove under the bridge going Westbound 28th yesterday and thought, "oh that logo." And I noticed that they didn't add a surface to the steel edging so now it looks distorted. Minus the distortion, it look neat.

yeah, I thought they were going to paint it to read "Grand Rapids" going East and North, and "Wyoming" going West and South

Now *THAT* would've been the obvious choice.

OK - who's the idiot that OK'd the painting the way it took place. Unless of course the other bridge will have GR related paintings on both sides. In which case -- W T F ? ? ?

yeah, I thought they were going to paint it to read "Grand Rapids" going East and North, and "Wyoming" going West and South

Maybe Wyoming is going to Annex part of GR.. :P:blink:

I wondered that too.. on the other side (east) it says "Welcome" in the green part, It'll be interesting to see if they paint it the same way on the west side... that would be funny

The 28th street crossing is painted with City of Wyoming propoganda on the West and East bound sides of the tracks.

IMGP0247.jpg

I would think by definition that is a billboard.

If anyone else had asked for the same thing it would have been denied without discussion.

I'm all for public art and cleaning up eyesores, but that's not art, it's advertising.

Beyond the Wyoming logo at the entrance to Grand Rapids, how does government get away with such advertising?

173225143_8364b6abfb_o.jpg

Maybe Wyoming is going to Annex part of GR.. :P:blink:

I wondered that too.. on the other side (east) it says "Welcome" in the green part, It'll be interesting to see if they paint it the same way on the west side... that would be funny

It will say 'Thanks for visiting" on the west side.

Likewise, the Division bridge will say "Welcome to Grand Rapids" on one side and "Thanks for visiting Grand Rapids" on the other.

I much prefer this stylised logo over the old one that we are all used to:

wyoming5go.jpg

This situation could have been much worse.

I don't really think the WWW is ment to be wavey like water, but like hills and valleys.

Hmm I like that design, although I fear it may be something a bit more boring like the Wyoming one.

Although quick thought... with the way they're going, having Wyoming in big letters on both sides of 28th st., and grand rapids on both sides of division, it's almost as though GR is disassociating itself with its stretch of 28th... anybody who travels down 28th in any direction will see "Wyoming" and think it, while anybody who travels down division will think GR as they head towards the more urban-style (not completely, but probably the closest to it south of 28th) neighbourhood of 44th & Division or towards GR itself.

Both bridges need a flat facade, kind of like the bridge near the airport with Chessie on it.

I hope that bridge never gets repainted. Its a welcome sign to the Airport :D I know its an old defunct railroad, but thats what makes it so neat to see :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived