Arizona Photo of the day

MJLO

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's gorgeous!

Is that right where the 60 crosses it?

not quite. if you've driven that road (i am, yet again, at a closed wi-fi hotspot coffee shop in auburn and i don't have an atlas with me to pinpoint the road #), you'll see a lot of pullouts so gawkers like my dumb ass can take pictures and worry about whether the kids are going to throw themselves off the cliff, lemming-style. i shot this on one of the more picturesque pullouts. that canyon is really beautiful. it, along with tons of other beautiful places like it, is the reason i've never made it to the grand canyon (despite having driven past the exits a bazillion times). by the time you see all the other wonderful views all over the state, the grand canyon just doesn't seem as though it could be all that much more scenic. this happened to me the first time i drove out west, and went to palo duro near amarillo - i was so in awe of how beautiful an 800-foot canyon could be, i didn't care about the grand canyon by the time i got to williams. I-40 itself was enough.

i guess i'll eat these words when / if i actually visit the GC.

can't wait until i have the $ to get a true SLR digicam! i'm tired of trying to hang with a 5 megapix hewlett-packard. good thing i stole the CS suite to compensate. (uhh...har, har...)

continuing with the 'my dumb ass' theme...i looked it up. you, colin, were right & i was wrong. it is 60. i've driven that road three times now through there, but i thought it was something else. i guess i only associate 60 with hell traffic through phoenix.

i would just edit the previous post, but i need to see my glaring errors staring me in the face for future lessons in hubris.

my bad. i need to quit posting when i'm coked up on ritalin...

Of course I'm right!! It's time everyone hone up to that. ;)

It'll make you feel better to know that that stretch of highway is also part of AZ 77.

Salt River Canyon is actually pretty difficult to access because of its ruggedness, and the 60 is one of the few roads where you can actually get down to it (and I think the only paved road). The picture didn't look quite like what I've seen of that spot, so I was just curious. It's a gorgeous picture though.

Erin, those are awesome! I know that half of those shots are showing how the TCC wiped out a part of the Barrio, but I'm amazed at how well other parts of it have been preserved since the 19th century. I was immediately attracted to Barrio Viejo when I moved here, but there, it's either live in a really overpriced place or in a building that desperately needs to be remodeled.

I love showing people around town! You should make it your #1 travel priority.

i may take you up on that at some point, especially to learn about the downtown area. mj and i can come up with some compensation scheme to make it worth your while...maybe throw in a nice crisp george washington (oooh...)!

Edited by convulso

thanks for the pics loftguy. Mid town is unique to me. From far away it looks like a downtown. But when you're in it, It's nothing more than a suburban office park. To me it's a shame that they built all those mid and high rises away from copper square. We really could have a much more dense downtown.

here's my photo of the day contribution for 8/30/06.

It's of Phoenix's lack luster Bank of America building. It's actually a pretty nice tower, but as BofA Towers go, it's a little on the short side. But hey this is Phoenix right, what else would you expect.

183777929_0b2988b296.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...