The River Market

1 hour ago, skirby said:

Arkansas Business has another story today about the Acxiom Building and Simmons. It reports that Simmons is not only looking at the building but is considering other options, which include remaining as is, relocating to another location or building their own building.

Would be nice to see the acxiom building full again bringing more daytime activity to the river market. Simmons has rapidly grown the past several years. Maybe they could even build a new office tower downtown. LR hasn't seen a new mid/high rise office building in what seems like ages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartland25 said:

Would be nice to see the acxiom building full again bringing more daytime activity to the river market. Simmons has rapidly grown the past several years. Maybe they could even build a new office tower downtown. LR hasn't seen a new mid/high rise office building in what seems like ages. 

Would be nice to see a new office tower downtown, however unlikely that may be.  

I could see Simmons waiting to build when they finally move all their operations from Pine Bluff to LR.

I won't offer any more details, but there was a developer driven proposal on the streets a few years ago (3-4?) for a high-rise office building downtown in excess of 20 floors.  It was never clear who the "real" client was, but regrettably it never went anywhere.  The site has since been developed for an alternative use.

9 hours ago, Gentileking said:

Would be nice to see a new office tower downtown, however unlikely that may be.  

I could see Simmons waiting to build when they finally move all their operations from Pine Bluff to LR.

That would be nice to see. Our buildings look old and outdated except for Stephens. Also Simmons tower is god awful and looks like a big brown sh*t cube. A new tower along with the new bridge would be awesome!

11 hours ago, Cotton Mouth said:

That would be nice to see. Our buildings look old and outdated except for Stephens. Also Simmons tower is god awful and looks like a big brown sh*t cube. A new tower along with the new bridge would be awesome!

Ha!  Well, I think our skyline has aged fairly well.  I can think of skylines that look much older, like Memphis for example.  There was a rumor decades ago, that architect Noland Blass, who designed the Worthen Building (now Bank of America), exclaimed that the First National Building, designed by his competitor at WD&D, "...was the box that Worthen came in."  [drops mic...or he would have if that were the in thing back in the 1970's!]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Architect said:

Ha!  Well, I think our skyline has aged fairly well.  I can think of skylines that look much older, like Memphis for example.  There was a rumor decades ago, that architect Noland Blass, who designed the Worthen Building (now Bank of America), exclaimed that the First National Building, designed by his competitor at WD&D, "...was the box that Worthen came in."  [drops mic...or he would have if that were the in thing back in the 1970's!]

I agree, I think our skyline has aged okay, I think we have gotten so used to seeing new buildings being all glass (see Stephens) and it does look nice and modern.  I wholly agree with the Memphis skyline, every time I drive through there I can't help but think how old and ugly (I think) the skyline is.  My wife is from Tennessee so I get to see it quite often.

15 hours ago, Cotton Mouth said:

Also Simmons tower is god awful and looks like a big brown sh*t cube.

Think of it as "aged bronze".

2 hours ago, Gentileking said:

I agree, I think our skyline has aged okay, I think we have gotten so used to seeing new buildings being all glass (see Stephens) and it does look nice and modern.  I wholly agree with the Memphis skyline, every time I drive through there I can't help but think how old and ugly (I think) the skyline is.  My wife is from Tennessee so I get to see it quite often.

In general, and certainly from specific angles, Little Rock's skyline is more impressive than Memphis'.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Simmons Bank has announced the purchase of the Acxiom Building on 3rd. I believe this will be a good thing for the RM because Simmons will be moving 200 employees into the building with plans to add to that number. The building was built to hold 700 but the number of Acxiom employees is around 100 at this time. In a few years as Simmons continues to grow then the foot traffic for the area will also increase. Maybe this will result in the leasing of the corner ground floor corner of the Residence Inn at 3rd and River Market Avenue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ndark said:

The Ten Thousand Villages shop in the River Market has a Leased sign and paper up over the windows. 

Anybody know what's going in there?

No, but I found it ironic (or coincidental, or neither?) that I didn't know that Ten Thousand Villages was a chain store until they announced they were closing...which I found a bit surprising at that location.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Architect said:

No, but I found it ironic (or coincidental, or neither?) that I didn't know that Ten Thousand Villages was a chain store until they announced they were closing...which I found a bit surprising at that location.

The Barn Mercantile to Open in River Market

http://www.littlerocksoiree.com/post/117155/the-barn-mercantile-to-open-in-river-market

Edited by ndark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...