The River Market

Hopefully this will allow for public drinking on Dickson Street as well in Fayetteville.

Dickson will be trickier to get the city of Fayetteville to go along with because of the University. There's more potential for misuse of the law there and the street couldn't really be closed off the way Clinton Ave could.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't think a college town would be a great environment for public consumption of alcohol, but maybe that's just me...it gets abused enough as is by college students.

I doubt it would get that much worse. I'm sure there drunks ambling around on the weekends already.

Edited by johnnydr87

I wouldn't think a college town would be a great environment for public consumption of alcohol, but maybe that's just me...it gets abused enough as is by college students.

Are you kidding? You cross the line by a hair and the Fayetteville PD will nail you if you're a student up there.

I agree it's not a good idea in a college town.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Work continues on the site of the Nature Center. What looks like a white horizontal bar behind the pine tree and just below the I-30 bridge is the walkway from Presidential Clinton Ave. As you can see it ends in midair.

dscf4008rp8.jpg

The walkway looking from the East.

dscf4018cn1.jpg

Edited by skirby

• 3 weeks later...

Come One, Come All to New Wine-and-Cheese Bar

By Arkansas Business Staff

1/8/2007

Whispers previously broke the news that Crush, a wine and cheese bar, would be moving into Block 2 downtown, where a Firehouse Subs used to be. But our information about it

If it's anything like Cru in the DFW area, then it will be popular.

I've been to a couple of these in Dallas and they seem to do very well. I haven't been to the one your'e talking about but there's one that's well known on lower Greenville called St Martin's Wine Bar. This will hit the niche that's probably underserved in the LR area, probably the same upscale 40s and 50s crowd that goes to Afterthoughts on Kavanaugh. If you're going to open a bar, I think it's smart to open something different.

Glad that coat and tie story was incorrect, though, because that wouldn't go over at all.

I've been to afterthought a few times...it is actually quite a mixed crowd, as far as age goes. However, it is basically a gay bar. The few times I've been there, atleast 80% of the crowd was gay. It's a nice, relaxed environment. This shouldn't be too surprising, since Hillcrest is a gay district, or gayborhood, if you will.

I've been to afterthought a few times...it is actually quite a mixed crowd, as far as age goes. However, it is basically a gay bar. The few times I've been there, atleast 80% of the crowd was gay. It's a nice, relaxed environment. This shouldn't be too surprising, since Hillcrest is a gay district, or gayborhood, if you will.

I think you're exaggerating a bit, especially about Hillcrest being a gay neighborhood. Hillcrest might be 5-10% gay at the most. It's popular with all kinds of demographics - artists, musicians, the alternative/puk crowd, UAMS students and residents, young families, and Hog fans wanting to be close to the stadium. I think the highest percentage of gays in LR is probably in the Quapaw Quarter and MacArthur Park neighborhoods. The Afterthought crowd is pretty variable but I always thought it was more of an older straight crowd.

Discovery or the Aquarium on the other hand...

Edited by Aporkalypse

I think you're exaggerating a bit, especially about Hillcrest being a gay neighborhood. Hillcrest might be 5-10% gay at the most. It's popular with all kinds of demographics - artists, musicians, the alternative/puk crowd, UAMS students and residents, young families, and Hog fans wanting to be close to the stadium. I think the highest percentage of gays in LR is probably in the Quapaw Quarter and MacArthur Park neighborhoods. The Afterthought crowd is pretty variable but I never thought it was more of an older straight crowd.

Discovery or the Aquarium on the other hand...

Agreed. I've been to the Afterthought several times with my wife (though not since the remodel) and the crowd was fairly mixed, but it was not a mostly gay crowd. As a matter of fact, there were many couples there enjoying the music.

The times I've been to Afterthought, it was gay people sitting around at the tables together...usually a few huge groups. Hillcrest is a lot more than 5-10% gay...haha...that's like people thinking the gay population of the US is only 5-10% gay. Hillcrest is a widely known "Gayborhood." On all gay websites, it is listed. They even refer to the Kroger there as "The Gay Kroger." There are more than just gay people that live there, but it is a gay district, by Little Rock standards. Anyway, not going to make it a huge issue, or stray too far off topic. As a gay man, I know a little about where my people live & hang out. :-)

The times I've been to Afterthought, it was gay people sitting around at the tables together...usually a few huge groups. Hillcrest is a lot more than 5-10% gay...haha...that's like people thinking the gay population of the US is only 5-10% gay. Hillcrest is a widely known "Gayborhood." On all gay websites, it is listed. They even refer to the Kroger there as "The Gay Kroger." There are more than just gay people that live there, but it is a gay district, by Little Rock standards. Anyway, not going to make it a huge issue, or stray too far off topic. As a gay man, I know a little about where my people live & hang out. :-)

Maybe, but you probably are in circles with other gay people and that's misleading you. I've spent ample time in that neighborhood and have literally 100 friends that live there, only a couple of which are gay. I know a plethora of families raising kids there. Half of the UAMS student body and residents live in Hillcrest. You can go places like U.S. Pizza, Canon Grill, Leo's etc on any given night and be surrounded by straight people. Sufficient Grounds admittedly less so. We're talking about where I grew up, I know what I'm talking about.

It may be a "gay neighborhood" by LR standards but it's still noct much more than 10% gay. It's not like Cedar Springs down here which is more than half gay. Even in a true "gayborhood" like South Beach it's rare for it to really be more than half gay. There are usually a mix of non-gay people that just like that sort of neighborhood.

That said, a lot of gay people like it for the reasons they like the Quapaw Quarter. Even though I'm not gay I like both neighborhoods for a lot of the same reasons.

Maybe, but you probably are in circles with other gay people and that's misleading you. I've spent ample time in that neighborhood and have literally 100 friends that live there, only a couple of which are gay. I know a plethora of families raising kids there. Half of the UAMS student body and residents live in Hillcrest. You can go places like U.S. Pizza, Canon Grill, Leo's etc on any given night and be surrounded by straight people. Sufficient Grounds admittedly less so. We're talking about where I grew up, I know what I'm talking about.

It may be a "gay neighborhood" by LR standards but it's still noct much more than 10% gay. It's not like Cedar Springs down here which is more than half gay. Even in a true "gayborhood" like South Beach it's rare for it to really be more than half gay. There are usually a mix of non-gay people that just like that sort of neighborhood.

That said, a lot of gay people like it for the reasons they like the Quapaw Quarter. Even though I'm not gay I like both neighborhoods for a lot of the same reasons.

Well said Apork. I live in Hillcrest and thought tim's post was over-the-top. Granted that the 72205 zip code has the highest percentage of gays of any in Arkansas it's ridiculous to make Hillcrest sound like San Francisco's Castro district.

I've never heard anyone that would argue that the US is more than 5-10% gay. Most upper-end estimates don't even approach 10%.

I've never heard anyone that would argue that the US is more than 5-10% gay. Most upper-end estimates don't even approach 10%.

I wasn't even going to get into that but I'd agree with that as well. Even in a very gay-friendly metro like San Francisco or Miami-Ft Lauderdale I don't think the population's more than 10% gay. In places like Ft Smith or Jonesboro I think that number's probably much lower.

HAHA! No offense, but there are far more gay people around than you even realize. The problem is, you think that only the ones you can spot that are of the feminine sort, are gay. There are several different types of gay people. You have the ones that you can obviously tell are gay. You have the ones that are like myself, don't know I'm gay unless I tell you. You have the ones that live their lives in the closet. You have the ones that are married as a cover, but sleep with men on the side. This is far more wide-spread than you would even believe. I know more married gay men, than out gay men. Picking gay people out of a crowd is not like skin color or hair color...you have no idea how many gay people are all around you. This idea that it's only 5-10% makes me laugh so hard. There's no true way to pin down a percentage, because most gay people won't admit to being gay, if asked. However, more and more people are "coming out." They are coming out at early ages. Friday nights at Backstreet, you can barely walk. The number of 18 y/o gay people running around has exploded. In the past, people would still be in the closet at that age. No offense, but if you think gay people are few & far between at 5-10%, you are naive, and have a gaydar in need of repair! LOL.

Oh, and I never said Hillcrest was anything like the Castro...I said, "It's a gay district, BY LITTLE ROCK STANDARDS." Check out gay tourism websites...it's listed as a gayborhood. Also, the New York Times named Eureka Springs in the top 4 up & coming gay tourism destinations in the country. I guess you guys won't believe that around half of that town is homo, would you?

San Francisco is said to be over 50% gay...it's a lot easier to determine there, because most gay people there are out and will admit to being gay. San Francisco has 15 openly gay city officials.

Why would Fort Smith or Jonesboro have less of a percent? Because they're smaller? Because they're in Arkansas? C'mon. Gay people are born everywhere. Some of the gayest people I know came from places like Augusta, and Lepanto LOL. I mean, geez, I came from Fordyce...aka redneckville. Out of the 92 people in my graduating class, I know 18 of them that are gay or lesbian...and that's just the ones that I know of or will admit to it. 5-10% is about the percentage that would admit to being gay...but even that percentage is growing.

Edited by tim2462

HAHA! No offense, but there are far more gay people around than you even realize. The problem is, you think that only the ones you can spot that are of the feminine sort, are gay. There are several different types of gay people. You have the ones that you can obviously tell are gay. You have the ones that are like myself, don't know I'm gay unless I tell you. You have the ones that live their lives in the closet. You have the ones that are married as a cover, but sleep with men on the side. This is far more wide-spread than you would even believe. I know more married gay men, than out gay men. Picking gay people out of a crowd is not like skin color or hair color...you have no idea how many gay people are all around you. This idea that it's only 5-10% makes me laugh so hard. There's no true way to pin down a percentage, because most gay people won't admit to being gay, if asked. However, more and more people are "coming out." They are coming out at early ages. Friday nights at Backstreet, you can barely walk. The number of 18 y/o gay people running around has exploded. In the past, people would still be in the closet at that age. No offense, but if you think gay people are few & far between at 5-10%, you are naive, and have a gaydar in need of repair! LOL.

Oh, and I never said Hillcrest was anything like the Castro...I said, "It's a gay district, BY LITTLE ROCK STANDARDS." Check out gay tourism websites...it's listed as a gayborhood. Also, the New York Times named Eureka Springs in the top 4 up & coming gay tourism destinations in the country. I guess you guys won't believe that around half of that town is homo, would you?

Nope, I don't. Thanks for the lecture on who's gay and who's not but I know gay men who tell me these things and none would say that 10% was accurate, especially in Arkansas.

These places are listed because they are the most gay-friendly and artsiest places in the region. Hillcrest has a lesbian state representative, as most people know, but does that mean the area is majority gay? Of course not. Hillcrest is generally very liberal and a piece of this is being gay-friendly. It's also pot-friendly, a place where it's normal to have tattoos and piercings, have an interracial relationship, and listen to punk rock late at night. It's also the largest community of artists in LR, gay and straight. It's just a different demographic than the Heights, right up the road. That open-minded and liberal attitude attracts gay people to the neighborhood just as it does NORML members.

Hot Springs and as you said Eureka Springs both have a respectable gay population. Not anywhere near 50% but enough to be impressive. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Eureka surpassed that 10% number we discussed earlier.

Well, there's no need to debate something that no one knows for sure. Str8 people like to think that gay people are freaks of nature and there aren't many of us. They like to think that we only make up 5-10% of the population...that makes them feel better to think we are such a small minority. Whatever makes ya feel good, I guess. Too many people are just oblivious and have no idea.

Eureaka Springs has around 2,800 residents. 10% would be 280...I promise you, it's atleast 3 or 4 times that. The city has more Bed & Breakfasts than any other city in the world. Most of them are owned by gay people. Most churches in the area perform gay commitment ceremonies. The city actually advertises it's gayness on it's website.

Anyway, back to our regulary scheduled topic, already in progress.

Edited by tim2462