The River Market

• 1 month later...

The Velo Rouge where The Nu was located.

p1020418sy4.jpg

Ark Times is reporting VR is cutting its lunch service. I don't think that place will be around a year from now. I know some people hate to hear this, but I think it is time for a chain restaurant locate downtown. That particular location has had a number of concepts but none have worked out. It is a great location with a lot of foot traffic (both workers downtown and tourists from hotels heading to the RiverMarket).

Ark Times is reporting VR is cutting its lunch service. I don't think that place will be around a year from now. I know some people hate to hear this, but I think it is time for a chain restaurant locate downtown. That particular location has had a number of concepts but none have worked out. It is a great location with a lot of foot traffic (both workers downtown and tourists from hotels heading to the RiverMarket).

Ironically, I had lunch with a friend of mine today (at Bosco's) who LOVES Velo Rouge...said he's been there 8-9 times.

The owners of Velo Rouge originally planned to open an upscale French restaraunt behind Velo Rouge, and go for a 2-in-1 sort of deal. I am not thinking this will happen since Velo Rouge doesn't appear to be doing so well.

Certain locales in LR are snake bit for restaurants. That is one of them. Trios had the best run in the current Velo Rouge spot.

Another such location is a spanish looking building in Riverdale, very near Pizza Cafe. When I was 16 I was a busboy for Jerry Barakat's Don Quixote Restaurant. The food was good as most of Jerry's endeavors. The paella was awesome. The place had a full bar too.

I'm sure there are other LR natives that can rattle off other locations like this.

Certain locales in LR are snake bit for restaurants. That is one of them. Trios had the best run in the current Velo Rouge spot.

Another such location is a spanish looking building in Riverdale, very near Pizza Cafe. When I was 16 I was a busboy for Jerry Barakat's Don Quixote Restaurant. The food was good as most of Jerry's endeavors. The paella was awesome. The place had a full bar too.

I'm sure there are other LR natives that can rattle off other locations like this.

Actually before it was Trios/NU/Velo Rouge the location was home to one of LRs more successful restaurants, Cafe St. Moritz. The two owners were proteges of Andre Simon.

The Cafe had a fire which shut it down for a while and then the owners had a falling out and sold it to the Trios owners. This restaurant was a popular spot long before the River Market took off.

My pick for a snake bit spot, although it seems to have found a more likely business now, is the building on West Markham between Rodney Parham and John Barrow. It too is Spanish styled and has housed several unsuccessful restaurants beside sitting vacant for extended periods.

Actually before it was Trios/NU/Velo Rouge the location was home to one of LRs more successful restaurants, Cafe St. Moritz. The two owners were proteges of Andre Simon.

The Cafe had a fire which shut it down for a while and then the owners had a falling out and sold it to the Trios owners. This restaurant was a popular spot long before the River Market took off.

My pick for a snake bit spot, although it seems to have found a more likely business now, is the building on West Markham between Rodney Parham and John Barrow. It too is Spanish styled and has housed several unsuccessful restaurants beside sitting vacant for extended periods.

the Pain Care center... good example.

I'd forgotten about Cafe St. Moritz, though I ate there. Maybe it has become a more problematic spot due to the river market. I think that little stretch is hurt by the surface parking there. I wonder how some pool tables, bar, bar food and a bunch of flat screens would fair. Then again, if the site is snake bit, it wouldn't make a difference.

While we're talking snake-bit restaurant spots, who can leave out the 400 block of Louisiana Street? It's seen its share of upheaval over the years, with the notable exception of Sports Page. Cotija's, a relatively recent Mexican restaurant, has also seemed to turn the tide. That sandwich/sushi shop directly at 4th & Louisiana, however, was a pretty quick flop, even by that block's standards. Downtown branches of Shipley Donuts and Terri Lynn's BBQ lasted far longer (each in the north half of Cotija's spot).

As for Velo Rouge, my good friend up the street at Flying Burrito told me a tale of ridiculously overpriced French onion soup she found there. A coworker of mine spoke of the place nearly as highly. Seems a shame for a place that looks significantly friendlier than its predecessor. I'm not sure what chain might be workable there, but it would be interesting to see something like that attempted.

the Pain Care center... good example.

I'd forgotten about Cafe St. Moritz, though I ate there. Maybe it has become a more problematic spot due to the river market. I think that little stretch is hurt by the surface parking there. I wonder how some pool tables, bar, bar food and a bunch of flat screens would fair. Then again, if the site is snake bit, it wouldn't make a difference.

When I was a kid that was Rax's.

Cafe St Moritz was there for years, well before the River Market was. I think you are right, parking there wasn't an issue, the area was dead then. I tried to go to Velo Rouge the other night, drove around for 10 min and couldn't find a space, and went to Lulav instead. Nu and Trio's had good food, that wasn't the problem.

I've heard pretty mixed revies on Velo Rouge, I'm not sure what to believe.

When I was a kid that was Rax's.

Cafe St Moritz was there for years, well before the River Market was. I think you are right, parking there wasn't an issue, the area was dead then. I tried to go to Velo Rouge the other night, drove around for 10 min and couldn't find a space, and went to Lulav instead. Nu and Trio's had good food, that wasn't the problem.

I've heard pretty mixed revies on Velo Rouge, I'm not sure what to believe.

We've had dinner at Velo Rouge once and liked it. The food is not the best in town but the room is interesting, the service was excellent and the view out the windows lets you be a part of the crowd. I hope they work out whatever problems they may have and remain in the location for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

We've had dinner at Velo Rouge once and liked it. The food is not the best in town but the room is interesting, the service was excellent and the view out the windows lets you be a part of the crowd. I hope they work out whatever problems they may have and remain in the location for a long time.

Wife and I finally went to Velo Rouge last night and it was actually pretty darn good. The atmosphere is good and drinks are decent but the food was what really impressed me. We had crab beignets as an appetizer, I had red-wine braised shortribs and the meat fell off the bone. The wife had sole and it was as good as any fish I've had in Little Rock. Perhaps it was just what we ordered but it was hard for me to see how anyone wouldn't like the place.

I think the parking issue hurts them a bit, a lot of weekends that lot is full and it's hard to find a place to park to eat there. A lot of people also aren't aware that parking is free for their customers.

Wife and I finally went to Velo Rouge last night and it was actually pretty darn good. The atmosphere is good and drinks are decent but the food was what really impressed me. We had crab beignets as an appetizer, I had red-wine braised shortribs and the meat fell off the bone. The wife had sole and it was as good as any fish I've had in Little Rock. Perhaps it was just what we ordered but it was hard for me to see how anyone wouldn't like the place.

I think the parking issue hurts them a bit, a lot of weekends that lot is full and it's hard to find a place to park to eat there. A lot of people also aren't aware that parking is free for their customers.

Good to get your take on Velo Rouge. We'll be at the Library Thursday evening and will visit Velo Rouge again, those short ribs sound tasty.

Good to get your take on Velo Rouge. We'll be at the Library Thursday evening and will visit Velo Rouge again, those short ribs sound tasty.

You were right, the braised short ribs at Velo Rouge were excellent. My wife had the sole and said it too was tasty. We both had the cream of asparagus soup with crab meat which was a meal all to its own. With two glasses of wine and the tip the tab was $120. They had a good crowd from the time we arrived, at around eight, until we left at nine thirty.

I visited the RM today. Here are some thoughts...

Can't wait for the completion of the CALS Arkansas History archives project.

The vacancies inside the RM Pavilion are a disappointment. I think the management has really screwed up.

The Arkansas farmer defects from the River Market Farmer's Market to the NLR side, which includes most of the organic growers, is also evidence of the mismanagement. We checked-out Joey Hardin's efforts at 4th and Main in NLR. It had most of my favorite farmer's, but wasn't as fun to go to. I blame the River Market Management for letting it come to that. It is really not worth going to the farmer's market if I have to find parking twice and drive and extra 2 miles to complete what I used to be able to do with one stop.

On a positive note....

The children's playground appears to be shaping up nicely. It could become a very strong attraction for young families all by itself.

The vacancies inside the RM Pavilion are a disappointment. I think the management has really screwed up.

The Arkansas farmer defects from the River Market Farmer's Market to the NLR side, which includes most of the organic growers, is also evidence of the mismanagement. We checked-out Joey Hardin's efforts at 4th and Main in NLR. It had most of my favorite farmer's, but wasn't as fun to go to. I blame the River Market Management for letting it come to that. It is really not worth going to the farmer's market if I have to find parking twice and drive and extra 2 miles to complete what I used to be able to do with one stop.

On a positive note....

The children's playground appears to be shaping up nicely. It could become a very strong attraction for young families all by itself.

I also went to both places this morning. I have to agree with you. I have never seen the RM Pavilion in such bad shape. I don't like that they took out the center vendors on the west end. I think it had a better feel with them there.

The Arkansas Studies Institute is a partnership between CALS, the Butler Center and UALR. Last month I attended a Legacies & Lunch presentation on the ASI. It will be a great addition to LR and the River Market. The architects had prepared a virtual tour of the building which made me look forward to the opening of the real thing. The Clinton School will occupy part of the building plus UALR's archives and governor's papers will be housed there.

There has been some criticism of the project by some who advocated tearing the old buildings down and putting up a new structure. This would have been cheaper but Little Rock has lost too many fine old buildings, it's high time to save some.

• 3 weeks later...

I also went to both places this morning. I have to agree with you. I have never seen the RM Pavilion in such bad shape. I don't like that they took out the center vendors on the west end. I think it had a better feel with them there.

I walked thru the RM today at lunch. In one of the empty spots in the food court there was a sign hanging and some people working to put up a new shop. The sign read "Cocoa Belle, beautiful chocolate".

Edited by ndark