The River Market

Good news for the Museum of Discovery. It received a $9 million grant from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. They are going to use it to create an entrance from Clinton Ave. and also expand the exhibit space from 44,000 to 50,000 sq ft.

Cool. As it is, its a fairly average affair - not the content so much, but the fact that its just a tenant in an otherwise office-filled building.

Does anyone remember when this museum planned an IMAX but the Aerospace Center built one first? I'm all for the Aerospace Center (though it sure needs help), but the IMAX probably would've fared better downtown. In fact, its too bad those two groups couldn't have gotten together to form a real "Science and Discovery" museum.

Cool. As it is, its a fairly average affair - not the content so much, but the fact that its just a tenant in an otherwise office-filled building.

Does anyone remember when this museum planned an IMAX but the Aerospace Center built one first? I'm all for the Aerospace Center (though it sure needs help), but the IMAX probably would've fared better downtown. In fact, its too bad those two groups couldn't have gotten together to form a real "Science and Discovery" museum.

I completely agree. When I travel to other cities and their IMAX is in a high-profile location, it's amazing how many more people you can get there. Even if it weren't in the Museum of Discovery, there are other places that would work, too. I know space is at a premium in the River Market, but even putting it somewhere on Main Street would be better - and would encourage development in that area. Or, better yet, it could have been built where the ugly Game & Fish center is going.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was down at the River Market Friday night and the sidewalk in front of the Butler Center is now open. Some of the interior lights were on and you could see inside. The older buildings' interiors were more interesting than the new addition.

I have thought this for sometime and I think it will turn out to be true. This block with the River Market Hall on one side and the Butler Center on the other will be a dead spot at night. It will divide the River Market. Let's just hope that the purposed building to add retail is built and the Library does not get its way and add another library building.

Looks like Big Whiskeys will be pulling patrons to the west end of the River Market. I ate there around 7 and it was packed. When I passed by around 11:30 it was still the same.

I was down at the River Market Friday night and the sidewalk in front of the Butler Center is now open. Some of the interior lights were on and you could see inside. The older buildings' interiors were more interesting than the new addition.

I have thought this for sometime and I think it will turn out to be true. This block with the River Market Hall on one side and the Butler Center on the other will be a dead spot at night. It will divide the River Market. Let's just hope that the purposed building to add retail is built and the Library does not get its way and add another library building.

Looks like Big Whiskeys will be pulling patrons to the west end of the River Market. I ate there around 7 and it was packed. When I passed by around 11:30 it was still the same.

The name of the building is The Arkansas Studies Institute. The Butler Center along with the UALR archives and the Clinton School are occupants of the ASI.

I haven't tried Big Whiskeys yet, but I've been told - by more than one person - that their burgers are awesome. I'm always up for a great burger, assuming it's not over-cooked (my pet peeve)!

I seem to remember that in the original design, retail or restaurant space was provided along President Clinton Blvd. Is the ASI filling the entire complex now?

If so, I do hope the library doesn't get that corner parking lot because this was not the original intent of that portion of the River Market. And I am a big library supporter.

Oops,Just read the article in today's High Profile Section which mentions an ice cream shop and other retail. Never mind...

Edited by Hillcrest_LR

I seem to remember that in the original design, retail or restaurant space was provided along President Clinton Blvd. Is the ASI filling the entire complex now?

If so, I do hope the library doesn't get that corner parking lot because this was not the original intent of that portion of the River Market. And I am a big library supporter.

Oops,Just read the article in today's High Profile Section which mentions an ice cream shop and other retail. Never mind...

Will the library get in the ice cream business or the landlord business? Does the library only support retail in the River Market when it can control it?

I haven't tried Big Whiskeys yet, but I've been told - by more than one person - that their burgers are awesome. I'm always up for a great burger, assuming it's not over-cooked (my pet peeve)!

Good to see that Big Whiskey's is open in the River Market. They just franchised the restaurant last year and are planning a location in Fayetteville, Tulsa, and south Springfield. The people that opened the restaurant also started an awesome martini lounge/bar called Parlor 88, which I would be on the lookout for an annoucenment for one in the River Market soon. I would bet anything that BW's will be a River Market mainstay for a while...Can't go wrong with lots of TV's, cheap drinks, and great food.

Good to see that Big Whiskey's is open in the River Market. They just franchised the restaurant last year and are planning a location in Fayetteville, Tulsa, and south Springfield. The people that opened the restaurant also started an awesome martini lounge/bar called Parlor 88, which I would be on the lookout for an annoucenment for one in the River Market soon. I would bet anything that BW's will be a River Market mainstay for a while...Can't go wrong with lots of TV's, cheap drinks, and great food.

Everytime I drive by there it is packed, which couldn't be said for Velo Rouge.

• 1 month later...

The Arkansas Studies Institute will open March 23rd.

p1040316.jpg

p1040318.jpg

The pages:

p1040337t.jpg

p1040319p.jpg

p1040321h.jpg

p1040324t.jpg

p1040326w.jpg

p1040329v.jpg

p1040332m.jpg

p1040334.jpg

The south side also has a set of pictures.

p1040367.jpg

Also, there is a walkway on the south side that represents the Arkansas River. It connects to the walkway between the Cox Building and the parking lot that fronts President Clinton Ave.

p1040338.jpg

As I was taking pictures yesterday I thought this is turning out to be a nice place if the Library parking lot was turned into a park. The River Market deck could be used for those using the Library.

Think if this space became a park. In other words an outdoor room for the Library.

p1040281.jpg