The River Market

Moses Tucker has announced plans to develop three storefronts("the garage shops") on the ground level of the Arkansas Capital Commerce Center parking deck across from their River Market Tower. These will be available for short term and long term leasing. In their press release it states that plans for another hotel in the area are still ongoing.

MT is developing a nice little neighborhood at Third and River Market Avenue.

I'm having a lot of trouble quoting and replying on this new forum software...

It's good to hear they are adding some more retail presence there on 3rd. With the businesses at the River Market tower seeming to do well and the Tuf Nut businesses getting some good foot traffic, additional space there should be pretty attractive. I would love to see the River Market one day mesh better with Main (the street level frontage at Block 2 and the neighboring building on Main would probably be important to making that corridor look pedestrian friendly) and the developing corridor on 3rd could be a nice offshoot/tie in to that whole district from a walk-ability standpoint.

I am having the same problems with the software.

If storefronts can be added to this parking deck then maybe some can be added, in the future, to the city parking deck on Main between 2nd and 3rd. Something needs to be done with this block because the west side is also a parking lot.

Software issues persist for me as well...

It's pretty encouraging news to see more storefronts in the works along E. Third. If there was a way to carve storefronts out of the 2nd & Main deck both on its Main Street and 3rd Street sides, that would go a long way toward extending the momentum in the 300 Third/River Market Tower area.

I totally agree- the stretch from 2nd to 3rd on Main needs something other than parking garage/lot along the street front if they ever want the River Market to have a good connection with main, and it could nicely tie in with the progress taking place along 3rd too. If the retail space in the Block 2 Lofts and the small building at 2nd and Main would fill in with shops it would certainly help (although that small building at 2nd and Main would make a great spot for a larger building, say condo/apartment/office with first floor retail).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I decided this was most applicable to the River Market since all three bridges are in that vicinity:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/apr/22/entergy-donation-help-light-little-rock-bridges/

Personally, I'm a fan of the idea to light the bridges. I really think Junction Bridge looks good as-is, but the Clinton Bridge has never looked that attractive and the "ribbon of light" we were initially promised never really panned out. It's a nice bridge, but it has an under-construction look to it that should be improved by accent lighting it at night. I'm a huge fan of lighting the Main Street bridge. That bridge is as bland as you can possibly build a bridge and the lighting on it will really make the view from the pedestrian bridges and high-rise condos/hotels better. Once Broadway is complete and lit, downtown Little Rock (and NLR of course) will be looking pretty exciting at night. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Due to added expenses to build a parking deck on top of the parking lot in front of the Main Library there is now talk to  build a deck north of the library where the parking lot in Riverfront Park is located. Plans might include groundfloor retail facing the river. I wonder if they have thought about adding a rooftop deck resturaunt to the structure?

Due to added expenses to build a parking deck on top of the parking lot in front of the Main Library there is now talk to  build a deck north of the library where the parking lot in Riverfront Park is located. Plans might include groundfloor retail facing the river. I wonder if they have thought about adding a rooftop deck resturaunt to the structure?

Cool idea.

• 1 month later...

Moses Tucker announced today the expansion  of the River Market. This  fall the demolation of the old Arkla building will be followed by a $13 million, 84 unit apartment building to be located on the site.  This project will take up the south side of the site and details will soon be released for a "significant development" for the north side of the block.

Moses Tucker announced today the expansion  of the River Market. This  fall the demolation of the old Arkla building will be followed by a $13 million, 84 unit apartment building to be located on the site.  This project will take up the south side of the site and details will soon be released for a "significant development" for the north side of the block.

Will that "significant development" on the north side of the block be another hotel for the River Market? If it is I hope, with the design of the apartment building, that downtown will finally get the Aloft hotel it should have gotten when the Residence Inn was built.

Will that "significant development" on the north side of the block be another hotel for the River Market? If it is I hope, with the design of the apartment building, that downtown will finally get the Aloft hotel it should have gotten when the Residence Inn was built.

Don't hold your breath.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction fencing is now up around the Arkla building.

• 1 month later...

And of course it is not an Aloft Hotel.  The Arkansas Democrat Gazette said that the hotel would be a Homewood Suites by Hilton.  Another extended stay hotel to compete with the recently completed Residence Inn by Marriott.

• 2 weeks later...

The Arcade. One of the storefronts is leased.

js3j.jpg

oy43.jpg

lzco.jpg

Does anyone know what is going one between Big Whiskey's and Irianna's? There is a chainlink fence in front of the parking lot between the two.

I read in the Democrat-Gazette that a parking deck was going to be built there.

• 3 weeks later...

There is suppose to be a new club coming to the River Market. It is to be located where LaHarpe's Furniture is now. The club will be called Shotz. It will be there second location, the first in Fayetteville. Their main drinks to serve are shots in ice made shot glasses. We definitely need more downtown for nightlife.

There is suppose to be a new club coming to the River Market. It is to be located where LaHarpe's Furniture is now. The club will be called Shotz. It will be there second location, the first in Fayetteville. Their main drinks to serve are shots in ice made shot glasses. We definitely need more downtown for nightlife.

Shotz is awesome! That's great that there's one coming to Little Rock!