The River Market

Interesting project coming to the RM. The Garage Shops on 3rd will become home to The Shack, a bbq haven from the past. What I find interesting about this project is that it will occupy three levels and also include outdoor eating in the adjacent parking deck.

Rendering of what is planned. http://littlerock.org/CityDepartments/PlanningAndDevelopment/MeetingAgendas/Agendas/BoardOfAdjustment/Z-9014%20SKETCH_8.pdf

This would be a great addition to the River Market.

• 2 weeks later...

Damgoode Pies will be opening in the former Bosco's location. They will be opening as a restaurant/bar initially but are going through the licensing process to open a brewery. A brewer from Bosco's is staying on to operate the brewery.

This was my view from Saturday while enjoying a slice and a Pale Ale.

ROYNfs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ecity3138 said:

Arkansas Business reported that Juanita's will be closing on December 20.

Juanita's essentially closed when they made the ill-fated decision to move to the River Market...ironically just when SOMA was coming into its own as a district.  Terrible location in the River Market, and the food went south as well.  We used to love that place.  Very regrettable.

53 minutes ago, Architect said:

Juanita's essentially closed when they made the ill-fated decision to move to the River Market...ironically just when SOMA was coming into its own as a district.  Terrible location in the River Market, and the food went south as well.  We used to love that place.  Very regrettable.

The food had been bad before it moved to the RiverMarket.  Not sure what could go where it and the Clinton Museum Store was that could get more traffic to that end of the RiverMarket.  

2 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

The food had been bad before it moved to the RiverMarket.  Not sure what could go where it and the Clinton Museum Store was that could get more traffic to that end of the RiverMarket.  

It will be interesting to see what goes into those two spaces and if the AHTD has its way with I-30 Crossing some of the buildings to the east will be demolished for the expanding interstate. About the only good news for this area of the RiverMarket is the addition of Inuvo and Privacy Star in the Museum Building. Together both companies  employ 125 and are looking to add an additional 75 next year.

Edited by skirby

1 hour ago, skirby said:

It will be interesting to see what goes into those two spaces and if the AHTD has its way with I-30 Crossing some of the buildings to the east will be demolished for the expanding interstate. About the only good news for this area of the RiverMarket is the addition of Inuvo and Privacy Star in the Museum Building. Together both companies  employ 125 and are looking to add an addition 75 next year.

Yes, I-30 expansion does threaten the continued growth and success of the river market. Would like to see us do away with the 2nd street exit/on ramp and find another way to get people DT. City leaders and AHTD need to step up and present a better plan. 

Edited by Heartland25

• 2 weeks later...

Moses Tucker hopes to bring Dust Bowl Lanes and Lounge to the old American Legion Post. It would be owned and operated by The McNellie's group out of Tulsa, which have the concept in Tulsa and OKC. They also want to develop a beer garden and restaurant next door in a building owned by Central Arkansas Water.

8 hours ago, theman said:

Moses Tucker hopes to bring Dust Bowl Lanes and Lounge to the old American Legion Post. It would be owned and operated by The McNellie's group out of Tulsa, which have the concept in Tulsa and OKC. They also want to develop a beer garden and restaurant next door in a building owned by Central Arkansas Water.

I like this idea.  However, there is a snag with the beer garden because of its location within the Little Rock Historic District (if I recall).  You can read a lot more about the changes and the "snags" here: Fassler Hall  

The Little Rock Historic DIstrict Commission will take the issue up again at its January 11 meeting. 

Edited by Arkanzin

3 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

I like this idea.  However, there is a snag with the beer garden because of its location within the Little Rock Historic District (if I recall).  You can read a lot more about the changes and the "snags" here: Fassler Hall  

The Little Rock Historic DIstrict Commission will take the issue up again at its January 11 meeting. 

The main objection by the historic district commission to this project is the addition of 7 roll up doors to the sides of the building.  This will open the building to the outside. I really don't have a problem with this change. The building in question does not match any other building in the district. 

20 hours ago, skirby said:

The main objection by the historic district commission to this project is the addition of 7 roll up doors to the sides of the building.  This will open the building to the outside. I really don't have a problem with this change. The building in question does not match any other building in the district. 

That was my thought, too.  The article I read indicated that the changes could result in the loss of a federal historic district designation or something like that.  I am not sure how that would happen since there have been new hotels and apartments built in the area that have no historic value.  There was also an issue about painting one side of the building even though one side of the building is already painted red to match the bricks on the remainder of the building.  

I hope this gets approved in January. 

1 hour ago, Arkanzin said:

That was my thought, too.  The article I read indicated that the changes could result in the loss of a federal historic district designation or something like that.  I am not sure how that would happen since there have been new hotels and apartments built in the area that have no historic value.  There was also an issue about painting one side of the building even though one side of the building is already painted red to match the bricks on the remainder of the building.  

I hope this gets approved in January. 

This is one of the walls in questions:

dscf25997jj.jpg

This was what was built next to it:

dscf3987hl4.jpg

22 hours ago, Heartland25 said:

Hopefully the historic district commission doesn't stand in the way of this project.

The building has sat empty for 25 years and has no historical significance.

The police substation has no historical significance either, yet it was built without a word about its impact on the historic district.  What was there before?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2015 at 9:26 AM, Arkanzin said:

The Historic Commission approved the revised plans and now it goes before the Board of Adjustments.

14 minutes ago, wmr said:

Is that parking garage going to have storefronts along the street (where the other storefronts are across from it)? 

If not, it looks like a missed opportunity.

Thanks for the pics!

I'm almost positive that it will, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1