The River Market

I'm telling you guys if someone was to put a full-sized movie theater downtown (preferably in the River Market District), that alone would bring tons of foot traffic in the district every evening and night. All types of businesses that cater to the 20-40 year old crowd would try to set up shop in the area, including retailers. Has noone thought of putting like a 6-8 screen movie theater in the River Market District area yet?

I'm telling you guys if someone was to put a full-sized movie theater downtown (preferably in the River Market District), that alone would bring tons of foot traffic in the district every evening and night. All types of businesses that cater to the 20-40 year old crowd would try to set up shop in the area, including retailers. Has noone thought of putting like a 6-8 screen movie theater in the River Market District area yet?

Sounds like a good idea. Springfield is putting a multiplex in their downtown sometime in the near future.

Sounds like a good idea. Springfield is putting a multiplex in their downtown sometime in the near future.

In addition, what about Starbuck and a bookstore, preferrable Borders. There was a rumor years ago that Border's was searching in that area - was probably untrue.

In addition, what about Starbuck and a bookstore, preferrable Borders. There was a rumor years ago that Border's was searching in that area - was probably untrue.

I always thought the old Blass Department Store on Main would be a great place for a bookstore. The district needs a 24/7 diner. Man can't live without late night early/morning eggs or pie.

• 4 weeks later...

Some pictures of the River Market area. Some old some new.

The newest addition.

dscf3073pk3.jpg

dscf3074cn9.jpg

Entryway for the new Game and Fish project.

dscf3075iw5.jpg

Last full building not rented in the River Market District.

dscf3076rb0.jpg

dscf3077co6.jpg

Others views

dscf3079zk3.jpg

dscf3080qx0.jpg

dscf3081em1.jpg

dscf3084oc5.jpg

Game and Fish entry looking south.

dscf3085hr4.jpg

dscf3087mt5.jpg

dscf3089uc1.jpg

dscf3090zs8.jpg

dscf3091xe4.jpg

Taking it easy.

dscf3114fl7.jpg

20th Ann. of CAT. Free rides on the trolley.

dscf3072bk1.jpg

Last full building not rented in the River Market District.

dscf3076rb0.jpg

dscf3077co6.jpg

Great pictures. I like the new sculptures and statues, though the rabbit is kind of bizarre.

I've been trying to figure out for years why nobody's rented the building above. It seems like I would be perfect for a restaurant (especially seafood) and that open area on the lower floor you walk across could make the best beer garden or dining patio in the state.

Great pictures. I like the new sculptures and statues, though the rabbit is kind of bizarre.

I've been trying to figure out for years why nobody's rented the building above. It seems like I would be perfect for a restaurant (especially seafood) and that open area on the lower floor you walk across could make the best beer garden or dining patio in the state.

I agree completely. I've been wondering for the last 2 years why no one has entered this space. As you said, it's set up perfectly for a good restaurant and outside bar/seating.

Nice pics skirby. :thumbsup: I actually recognize a few of those areas. Although a lot of those sculptures don't look that familiar to me. I know the rabbit is new but what about the others? Did I really miss all of those the last time I was down there?

What's the Game & Fish Project? I hadn't heard anything on that one.

Ugh, don't get me started on the Nature Centers again. :lol:

Nice pics skirby. :thumbsup: I actually recognize a few of those areas. Although a lot of those sculptures don't look that familiar to me. I know the rabbit is new but what about the others? Did I really miss all of those the last time I was down there?

When you go under the I-30 overpass on Clinton Ave. take a left on the sidewalk. It will take you back under the overpass. The sculptures start there and go back towards the River Market. They have been there for sometime. Although the rabbit is interesting I don't know if it fits in. I know of no relationship between the River Market or Clinton and rabbits.

Don't feel bad about missing something. I see something each time I go there depending on the direction I'm walking or which side of the street I'm on. I guess you have a reason to come back.

Mith - I must have missed it. What was your issue with the Nature Center?

Mith - I must have missed it. What was your issue with the Nature Center?

Everyone saw it, he did ask me. :lol: I've ranted a few times in the past on how NWA isn't getting a nature center. The second biggest metro in the state and we aren't getting anything. The nature center that represents the Ozarks, perhaps the most widely know region of the state, will be in Ft Smith. That's the short form of my rants. I'll spare you any paragraphs of my anger and disappointment. :lol:

Everyone saw it, he did ask me. :lol: I've ranted a few times in the past on how NWA isn't getting a nature center. The second biggest metro in the state and we aren't getting anything. The nature center that represents the Ozarks, perhaps the most widely know region of the state, will be in Ft Smith. That's the short form of my rants. I'll spare you any paragraphs of my anger and disappointment. :lol:

I don't disagree. If you're building four, why not five?

I guess some would say NWA is getting one if you consider Ft Smith NWA.

Get used to Ft Smith getting a lot of "carrots" in terms of government spending. When an area seems like its struggling a bit our leg has a way of trying to make up for it. I think that's why Ft Smith got the nature center. The same thing tends to happen a lot in Pine Bluff. The NWA MSA is perceived as doing so well that I think when things come up nobody wants to put the public funds there, which I don't agree with.

Now, I'm not one to gripe about downtown development at all but why are we building a nature center in the River Market? This is probably the only time you'll hear me argue that public money should be spend in West LR over the city's core but a nature center would've been perfect near Pinnacle Mtn somewhere.

What exactly is included in the nature center?

Here's a quote from an old press release:

"Natural habitats will be featured in the new nature center, along with aquariums, historical displays, a conservation timeline, a gift shop and a theater that will feature a film about recreation in Arkansas.

The nature center, which will cover 16,000 square feet and cost about $6.5 million, will provide information about all aspects of Arkansas. The staff will teach programs about watchable wildlife, hunter education and boating education, as well as host teacher workshops and presentations for groups and schools."

"Natural habitats will be featured in the new nature center, along with aquariums, historical displays, a conservation timeline, a gift shop and a theater that will feature a film about recreation in Arkansas.

Does Little Rock have a real fully scale aquarium? if not thats something it definetly needs either downtown or near the zoo.

Get used to Ft Smith getting a lot of "carrots" in terms of government spending. When an area seems like its struggling a bit our leg has a way of trying to make up for it. I think that's why Ft Smith got the nature center. The same thing tends to happen a lot in Pine Bluff. The NWA MSA is perceived as doing so well that I think when things come up nobody wants to put the public funds there, which I don't agree with.

Now, I'm not one to gripe about downtown development at all but why are we building a nature center in the River Market? This is probably the only time you'll hear me argue that public money should be spend in West LR over the city's core but a nature center would've been perfect near Pinnacle Mtn somewhere.

I agree that Ft Smith got a carrot with the nature center. With all of the growth going on in NWA, they probably thought that it didn't need the help and the Crystal Bridges Art Museum actually gives them an argument for that. I wouldn't say that Ft. Smith is struggling, like Pine Bluff is, but an added attraction wouldn't hurt the city either. And look at it this way. They placed the Nature Centers in the largest cities in each Region - Ft Smith-Northwest, Jonesboro-Northeast, Pine Bluff-Southeast and Little Rock-Central. Southwest Arkansas got shut out all together.

The reason they placed it downtown was the same reason why Clinton decided to place his library downtown, to allow it to have more exposure. The Nature Center will fit into what the Clinton Center, Museum of Discovery, the Central Library Branch, the recently renovated Historic Arkansas Museum and the under contruction Butler Center have or will bring to downtown.

Does Little Rock have a real fully scale aquarium? if not thats something it definetly needs either downtown or near the zoo.

It doesn't right now. I agree with the locations, either would be good. There was a private group that was going to build an aquarium in LR and a couple of other cities but it was kind of quirkily financed and fell through.

It doesn't right now. I agree with the locations, either would be good. There was a private group that was going to build an aquarium in LR and a couple of other cities but it was kind of quirkily financed and fell through.

An aquarium could be an opportunity for NLR to extend it attractions east and build it across from the Clinton Center on the land on the opposite end of the bridge that is to be converted into a pedestrian bridge.

Yeah it does seem a bit odd to put it there. As far as struggling cities getting things I also know what you mean. I think some people also think along the lines of that a lot of money was spent on I-540 and now it's time to spend money elsewhere in the state.

What exactly is included in the nature center?

There is a topic in the main Arkansas forum that discusses them. I even have some pics from the one in Pine Bluff one in there as well.

I agree that Ft Smith got a carrot with the nature center. With all of the growth going on in NWA, they probably thought that it didn't need the help and the Crystal Bridges Art Museum actually gives them an argument for that. I wouldn't say that Ft. Smith is struggling, like Pine Bluff is, but an added attraction wouldn't hurt the city either. And look at it this way. They placed the Nature Centers in the largest cities in each Region - Ft Smith-Northwest, Jonesboro-Northeast, Pine Bluff-Southeast and Little Rock-Central. Southwest Arkansas got shut out all together.

Yeah I can't complain too much as you said SW Ark didn't get anything at all. Ft Smith is technically the bigger city but the NWA metro is much larger than the Ft Smith metro. I wish someone had made that argument for us when all of this was decided. :D

• 3 weeks later...