The River Market

10 hours ago, skirby said:

Simmons Bank sign now on building. The bank now has 200 staff members in the building and another 150 are planned by the end of May.

xqB6as.jpg

Noticed that a couple of weeks ago. I wonder what it means for the building in the background that also has the Simmons logo on it?

4 hours ago, theman said:

Noticed that a couple of weeks ago. I wonder what it means for the building in the background that also has the Simmons logo on it?

Possibly, it won't mean all that much in the short term with regard to naming and the retail branch on the first floor of Simmons Tower, which is still a highly visible and desirable location as the tallest building in the state. As recently as last July, when the bank announced its intended move of employees to the old Acxiom site, the Democrat-Gazette reported there was no firm decision to keep the naming rights on Simmons Tower.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last Saturday I was driving west on President Clinton Ave. around 4 p.m. and I noticed something different. There was a different look, it was brighter and more open and not for the better then I realized what was different. The street trees on both side had been replaced with much smaller trees. I'm sure in a few years these will grow and all will return to the way it was but for now this will be a reminder of how important street trees are to a urban area.

Also, last night at the city board meeting the entertainment district for street drinking came one step closer to reality.

3 hours ago, skirby said:

Last Saturday I was driving west on President Clinton Ave. around 4 p.m. and I noticed something different. There was a different look, it was brighter and more open and not for the better then I realized what was different. The street trees on both side had been replaced with much smaller trees. I'm sure in a few years these will grow and all will return to the way it was but for now this will be a reminder of how important street trees are to a urban area.

Also, last night at the city board meeting the entertainment district for street drinking came one step closer to reality.

Street drinking will take effect in 30 days and will be allowed on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays and certain holidays.

15 hours ago, skirby said:

I think they replaced all the trees in the area because some were dead or dying. They replaced the trees with new ones that would do better in an urban environment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, ndark said:

Anybody know what if anything is going in at the old Andina location on 3rd?  There is paper up on the windows and I saw some guys working going in and out the other day. Maybe they are just clearing it out but it looked like they were doing some renovation. 

Leila King, who owns @ The Corner, has signed a lease for the space, according to the Democrat-Gazette's Eric Harrison.  Breakfast is part of the plan for the space, but a there's not yet a firm timetable for opening the new restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jnholmes said:

Nexus Coffee expanded its space to include the corner of La Harpe and President Clinton. We were just there and it was packed with people.

So I assume the retail store that was there closed. I’m glad Nexus Coffee was doing enough business that I needed to expand into that space.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Arkanzin said:

I think I've been in there twice.  I'm not sure I ever ate there as the service was so bad.  I know for sure I left on one occasion.  Probably both times.  

Never had that problem. It was always nice to sit outside and have a slice while enjoying the river view.

I only went there a few times, for the size of the place it was not very busy any of the times. The service was hit and miss depending on who waited on you, the food was always good but again it took a while. I imagine the overall cost for leasing that space vs actual customers and business income was an issue. 

-R