The River Market

Thanks for the pics, skirby. I haven't been downtown in a few months, so I haven't seen any of this progress yet. Could you update me on what this is going to look like when it's all said and done? What exactly are they doing here for the nature center entrance? Thanks.

I have no idea what they are doing. The rendering I have seen does not show this part of it. If I had to guess this is some sort of elevated walkway.

Thanks for the pics, skirby. I haven't been downtown in a few months, so I haven't seen any of this progress yet. Could you update me on what this is going to look like when it's all said and done? What exactly are they doing here for the nature center entrance? Thanks.

Are you and "theman" the same person?

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on the entryway for the Nature Center.

dscf3168tw1.jpg

dscf3169hx2.jpg

dscf3170du9.jpg

The bids for the Nature Center came in too high. The lowest bid was twice what was budgeted. The budget called for a construction cost of $3.5 million but the lowest bid was for $7.5 million. The city of Little Rock is paying for the walkway to the new center.

The bids for the Nature Center came in too high. The lowest bid was twice what was budgeted. The budget called for a construction cost of $3.5 million but the lowest bid was for $7.5 million. The city of Little Rock is paying for the walkway to the new center.

I read that. That's a deal breaker really - at least with regard to maintaining any semblance of the original concept.

I read that. That's a deal breaker really - at least with regard to maintaining any semblance of the original concept.

I wonder what the City of LR is thinking now? It is spending money on site work and the walkway for what. Will it turn out to be a second or third rate attraction? The River Market District now has two projects on hold.

Material costs, particularly steel and concrete, have soared in the last year impacting this bid. In addition increased fuel costs have a impact on the bottom line as it impacts various elements of a construction project. This was compounded by the fact that the LEED certified Green design requires more technical and complex methods. These are the items that will be cut first according to what i read. Unfortunately unless someone steps in, via a private or corporate ( Stephens to the rescue?) donation this will certainly have to be scaled down.

Skirby what other project were you referring to being on hold?

Material costs, particularly steel and concrete, have soared in the last year impacting this bid. In addition increased fuel costs have a impact on the bottom line as it impacts various elements of a construction project. This was compounded by the fact that the LEED certified Green design requires more technical and complex methods. These are the items that will be cut first according to what i read. Unfortunately unless someone steps in, via a private or corporate ( Stephens to the rescue?) donation this will certainly have to be scaled down.

True, those are all contributing factors, but in no way would that account for a 100% overage.

I was talking about the Junction Bridge. Then there is the Rock Island Bridge. Last year the Clintion Foundation said they need to pay down debt before work starts on the bridge. In other words they need to raise money to pay off debt before they raise money for the bridge. I don't count on this project to be ready anytime in the future.

I made my first trip to Little Rock in five years a few weeks back.

I was astonished at the progress that has been made in the River Market area since I last visited.

The street cars are really marvelous.

The connection of the Riverfront Park area to the Clinton Library will be seamless within a year or two.

New condos and office buildings going up in what previously seemed like a dead downtown area.

The natural setting of the riverside and the incredible amount of greenspace are super compared to any city of any size in the U.S.

Once the trail loop is complete to Lake Maumelle dam and over the river next the Clinton Center, Little Rock will have an even more amazing natural asset.

Little Rock has so much to offer and it seems the real surge in the downtown and River Market area are just getting going full steam. From my hotel window, I could see construction on the new ballpark across the river in NLR.

I visited the River Market Pavillion and its shops and eateries were bustling. It seemed to me that the quality of offerings had at least remained constant if not improved over the years.

Little Rock really is, in my opinion, a bit of an undiscovered jewel.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some companies relocating there in the future.

The COL is low compared to many cities, particularly on the coasts, and its quality of life and overall attractiveness are just steamrolling ahead.

Edited by cocothief

No, but I'm curious. What made you think that? <_<

It's just that you both said basically the same thing in two successive posts:

Thanks for the pics Skirby. I haven't been down there in a while so I haven't seen the progress

that has been made since they started construction.

It's just that you both said basically the same thing in two successive posts:

Thanks for the pics Skirby. I haven't been down there in a while so I haven't seen the progress

that has been made since they started construction.

I don't really know what it is going to look like. The pictures I have posted are part of an elevated walkway that will connect to a viewing platform. From there people will be able to enter the Nature Center down below.

I made my first trip to Little Rock in five years a few weeks back.

I was astonished at the progress that has been made in the River Market area since I last visited.

The street cars are really marvelous.

The connection of the Riverfront Park area to the Clinton Library will be seamless within a year or two.

New condos and office buildings going up in what previously seemed like a dead downtown area.

The natural setting of the riverside and the incredible amount of greenspace are super compared to any city of any size in the U.S.

Once the trail loop is complete to Lake Maumelle dam and over the river next the Clinton Center, Little Rock will have an even more amazing natural asset.

Little Rock has so much to offer and it seems the real surge in the downtown and River Market area are just getting going full steam. From my hotel window, I could see construction on the new ballpark across the river in NLR.

I visited the River Market Pavillion and its shops and eateries were bustling. It seemed to me that the quality of offerings had at least remained constant if not improved over the years.

Little Rock really is, in my opinion, a bit of an undiscovered jewel.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some companies relocating there in the future.

The COL is low compared to many cities, particularly on the coasts, and its quality of life and overall attractiveness are just steamrolling ahead.

Nice to see some observations from a non-resident, and glad that you found Little Rock on the move. It certainly seems that way from the inside! Where are you from?

It sounds like the Game and Fish Center is really struggling and they are going to scrap the current plan and revise it. The problem is the city is already completing work on the pedestrian bridge linking it to Clinton Ave which means the site is locked in. I can't imagine that building the center on piers over the river isn't the reason it's costing so much, so it's unfortunate they'd already started work on it. I bet they could've built it over near the airport somewhere for a fraction of the cost, or perhaps just East of the Clinton Library.

I wish they would put it somewhere other than the river market. It just seems like that space could be much more successful as additional restaurants or entertainment. Maybe it's just the stereotype that I have in my head, but when I think of nightlife and an urban entertainment district, stuffed deer and aquariums filled with carp and bass just don't seem to fit.

I wish they would put it somewhere other than the river market. It just seems like that space could be much more successful as additional restaurants or entertainment. Maybe it's just the stereotype that I have in my head, but when I think of nightlife and an urban entertainment district, stuffed deer and aquariums filled with carp and bass just don't seem to fit.

When it was announced to put the Center in the River Market I thought the same way you do. But I don't think you can call the River Market a pure entertainment district. The Game and Fish see 300,000 to 400,000 visitors a year. This can do nothing but help the restaurants during the day. Remember a large amount of space in the District is taken up by the Museum of Discovery and the Library. I do think it is a mistake to cut back on the green aspects of the building being that it is a nature center.

Same here. The NLR Riverfront near the submarine was better.