The River Market

This is the first I've heard of Hilcrest having any sort of gay-friendly ties. I just thought it was a nice neighborhood.

I don't want to derail this thread much further, but from addressing some of what's been discussed, its my perception that a lot of gays simply can't get beyond being gay. I've noticed this in friends of mine that are gay. It seems nearly everything the guys want to discuss is some aspect of gayness. It just seems overly gaycentric, I don't know. Its not a big deal and I can see why it happens, I just wish it didn't have to be that way.

I'm not trying to make anybody mad its just a observation. I realize I am probably looking at through a heterocentric lens

Edited by hogwash

Well, there's no need to debate something that no one knows for sure. Str8 people like to think that gay people are freaks of nature and there aren't many of us. They like to think that we only make up 5-10% of the population...that makes them feel better to think we are such a small minority. Whatever makes ya feel good, I guess. Too many people are just oblivious and have no idea.

Eureaka Springs has around 2,800 residents. 10% would be 280...I promise you, it's atleast 3 or 4 times that. The city has more Bed & Breakfasts than any other city in the world. Most of them are owned by gay people. Most churches in the area perform gay commitment ceremonies. The city actually advertises it's gayness on it's website.

Anyway, back to our regulary scheduled topic, already in progress.

I don't think any of us here think gay people are freaks of nature or that there aren't many of you. It's just easy to overrepresent based on pockets of density. 90% of the places I enjoy visiting and would be interested in living, in Arkansas or around the country, are the same places that gay people do. This is an urban forum and in the trendiest neighborhoods in the nation's hippest cities you find the greatest density of gay people. I think, if anything, this is probably as gay-friendly a forum as you'll find.

My only point was that Hillcrest is no Oaklawn, let alone Dupont Circle or Key West.

With a larger gay population it usually means more arts, culture, music and entertainment, better restaurants, etc in a city. I would welcome a significant increase in LR's gay population, though I can't really see it becoming nationally popular as a gay destination the way South Beach or Key West (where 50% actually IS about right) is. An entirely gay neighborhood would be a great addition to the city.

I also think for a city its size in the heart of the Bible Belt Little Rock is rather progressive and gay-friendly. The GOP candidate against fairly liberal Vic Snyder for the Central Ark House of Rep spot ran on an anti-gay platform and absolutely got drilled because of it. That platform may be popular around the rural South and Midwest but it didn't play in LR and I was proud of that. The guy criticized (and ran a TV ad about) Snyder's wife, who is the pastor at Quapaw Quarter United Methodist and gave a sermon that was welcoming of gay members of the church. People absolutely hammered the guy over that.

He and his wife, BTW, live in Hillcrest.

New restaurant opening up.

Wendell's Signature Restaurant.

It looks like it will be owned by a restaurant owner from Memphis. Wendell's

I've thought this would be a great site for a restaurant for years. I always kind of pictured the level below the bridge you walk across as an open patio allowing evening dining and operating as a late night bar. You can't beat the location, though parking will be enough of a problem they'd be smart to use valet.

The website's down right now but here are a couple of things I found about it:

"Wendell's World Beat Grill is a boutique style seafood restaurant in the heart of the Historic Art District of Downtown Memphis, TN. All of our dishes are made to order from Chef Wendell Price of Houston, TX. Enjoy sweet lump crab cakes, she crab soup, Maine lobster (made your way), fabulous seafood gumbo, and also stuffed filet mignon, jerk lamb chops and much more!"

New restaurant opening up.

Wendell's Signature Restaurant.

dscf0037mh4.jpg

It looks like it will be owned by a restaurant owner from Memphis. Wendell's

I agree with Apork in thinking that this spot would be great for a restaurant.

The website is up now. It looks like the restaurant in Memphis is a pretty nice place. Hopefully the restaurant can survive and add to the River Market District.

I agree with Apork in thinking that this spot would be great for a restaurant.

The website is up now. It looks like the restaurant in Memphis is a pretty nice place. Hopefully the restaurant can survive and add to the River Market District.

Looking at the website and some of the reviews I'm skeptical of its long-term potential. However, once it's converted to a restaurant if Wendell's doesn't work out something else will take over that spot.

Looking at the website and some of the reviews I'm skeptical of its long-term potential. However, once it's converted to a restaurant if Wendell's doesn't work out something else will take over that spot.

I'm very confused after doing a google search for reviews. I've heard the saying, "you either love it or you hate it", but even that doesn't explain the huge gap in reviews between these two sites.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-12789197...PelVGrJvjK6FmoL

http://reviews.metroguide.com/o.asp?o=mem100257

I'm very confused after doing a google search for reviews. I've heard the saying, "you either love it or you hate it", but even that doesn't explain the huge gap in reviews between these two sites.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-12789197...PelVGrJvjK6FmoL

http://reviews.metroguide.com/o.asp?o=mem100257

Well, this location would employ and cater to decidedly different demographics, so it won't be the same as the other location, whether that be a good or a bad thing. Quite often is the case that one location of a chain might be awful, while another may be the best experience you've ever had.

• 4 weeks later...

Found another rendering of the Butler Center. This will be the view from the library.

cals2md7.jpg

I love the landscaping and streetscaping behind the buildings in that picture.

You know, those buildings have really pulled down the scenic quality of the River Market for a long time. I'm really excited about having the last of the blight removed and finishing off Clinton Ave. New things will be added, no doubt, but with this and Wendell's going in the vacant building down the road the last vacant or underused buildings will be renewed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new sign has been put in place with a rendering of the Nature Center showing the opening will be in the Summer of 2008.

p1000255dk8.jpg

Part of the walkway has been opened up.

p1000256uv9.jpg

The end of the walkway.

p1000263xn0.jpg

Looking east from the walkway at the Clinton Library under the I-30 bridge.

p1000269kz4.jpg

Looking west.

p1000273pf9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The city hired architects Wittenberg Delony & Davidson to come up with a design for an updated Riverfront Ampitheater but things are still moving slowly on this.

The goal is to have a higher fixed roof with more lighting and stage show capabilities, fixed dressing rooms, etc for the performers as well as more restrooms and a permanent ticket structure.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of the reasons people go to the River Market is the Farmers Market.

One of the two outdoor pavilions.

p1010171hn5.jpg

Inside Market Hall.

p1010181gt0.jpg

p1010186fg0.jpg

These were taken on a hot (100 +) Sat. morning around 11 am. I would rather get there before 9 even though there are more people there at that time. Picked up some great mini watermelons at 3 for $5 along with corn, peppers and eggplant. By the way they had free parking in the River Market Parking Deck last Saturday.

Edited by skirby

• 3 months later...