High Speed Rail

gs3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the local ones I know of- Spartanburg and Columbia even until I think the 1990s- and Greenville were at one point run by a private company- Duke Power or another utility. Surely there are people around who can recall what the bus systems were like then. Today, only rarely are there privately-run systems without government subsidy, other than individual lines for tourists. I can't think of any citywide systems that are completely private and receive no government subsidy.

I'm not talking about unsubsidized... I'm talking about a privately-run transit system that is contracted by the city... as opposed to a city-run system that may not have the financial incentive to "run things like a business." I just can't think of any transit systems that are managed privately. I'm sure they're out there though.

Good point; at least the MBTA around Boston has lines for which operations are contracted out to private operators, and I believe MARC around Baltimore/DC does as well; I don't know how much of the management is contracted out though.

Archived