Cruise industry in Charleston

Charleston native

Very good news for DT merchants. The 2nd largest cruise ship in the world, the Queen Mary 2, is docking into Chas tomorrow. On top of Spoleto going on in the city, 3,000 cruisers with mega-money spending power will come into the historic area, so the DT area will be very crowded...but bring on the spenders! :D The link for the story is here.

To further add to this forum, should Chas expand its role in the cruise industry? Does it have the capability to become a cruise mecca such as Miami or Tampa?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very good news for DT merchants. The 2nd largest cruise ship in the world, the Queen Mary 2, is docking into Chas tomorrow. On top of Spoleto going on in the city, 3,000 cruisers with mega-money spending power will come into the historic area, so the DT area will be very crowded...but bring on the spenders! :D The link for the story is [url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=91374

The problem with where the ships go now in Charleston, is there is no where for people to leave their cars. I know someone who took a cruise out of Chas, and they said it was a nightmare in coordination on where to park, leave the luggage, etc. If they are going to be a full fledged passenger port, they should build a new cruise terminal up on the other side of the bridge away from the lower pennisula. If they do this, I think they could be a big factor in the cruise industry as it would save a long trip to Miami just to get to the ship. There is a huge population within a few hours driving distance of Charleston.

Parking is an issue, but as a stop, Charleston should definately push for it. The QM2 needs to stop more often :) These people will come in for a few hours, spend money, then leave. Fantastic revenue sources :)

As a starting point, I am not so sure it would be practical downtown for the reasons that metro stated. They would have to use N Chas, perhaps the old Navy Base, as a launch point.

As a starting point, I am not so sure it would be practical downtown for the reasons that metro stated. They would have to use N Chas, perhaps the old Navy Base, as a launch point.

You think a cruise terminal could be integrated into the Noisette project? I wonder how feasible that would be.

Yep, Union Pier is where they dock. However, the terminal is an eyesore, and right next to it is a rusty old warehouse that isn't used for anything. They need to demolish the warehouse, completely renovate the terminal, and build a large parking garage covering the current parking lot and the warehouse lot. Doing these things would solve the problems metro mentioned earlier.

I don't think it would be a good idea to locate a cruise terminal on another part of the city, especially Noisette or Mt. Pleasant. The lure and appeal of Chas as a cruise destination is being able to set foot right into the historic district as cruisers exit the ship. Also, many ship captains will tell you that they and their cruise ship corporations prefer a very accessible port to dock, without having to navigate obstacles such as turns of the river or the new bridge. Lastly, the economic impact of the visitors would be weakened if they disembarked in areas away from the historic district. They would have to use vehicles or buses to go DT, especially since the other areas mentioned are not heavy retail centers. The economic impact these cruise ships have is significant when the spending market is dense and concentrated in one area...in this case, the historic district.

Here is the coverage of the QM2's visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Union Pier is where they dock. However, the terminal is an eyesore, and right next to it is a rusty old warehouse that isn't used for anything. They need to demolish the warehouse, completely renovate the terminal, and build a large parking garage covering the current parking lot and the warehouse lot. Doing these things would solve the problems metro mentioned earlier.

I don't think it would be a good idea to locate a cruise terminal on another part of the city, especially Noisette or Mt. Pleasant. The lure and appeal of Chas as a cruise destination is being able to set foot right into the historic district as cruisers exit the ship. Also, many ship captains will tell you that they and their cruise ship corporations prefer a very accessible port to dock, without having to navigate obstacles such as turns of the river or the new bridge. Lastly, the economic impact of the visitors would be weakened if they disembarked in areas away from the historic district. They would have to use vehicles or buses to go DT, especially since the other areas mentioned are not heavy retail centers. The economic impact these cruise ships have is significant when the spending market is dense and concentrated in one area...in this case, the historic district.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=92023

I don't think it would be a good idea to locate a cruise terminal on another part of the city, especially Noisette or Mt. Pleasant.

You make a very good point for keeping a dock where it is as I didn't think of cruise passengers arriving at Charleston as part of a cruise destination.

I was thinking more of creating a new cruise industry where ships start and end their journey in Charleston that would mostly serve people looking to take a cruise without having to drive all the way to Florida. Maybe there would be the possibility of having a new facility for this, which could also service and restock cruise ships along with the present dock for Charleston is a destination trips.

• 3 years later...

Beginning May 10th, 2010, Carnival Cruise Lines will be launching a year round cruise schedule on the Carnival Fantasy...they will launch 70 departures a year...this is good for the Charleston tourism industry, as they forecast 140K passengers a year to embark from Charleston..

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseC...96177&EDATE

I think this is great news. It will be great news also when the passenger terminal is remodeled

and the surrounding area is re-worked. That existing terminal is an embassrement.

I wonder how many jobs will be created by having a steady flow of cruises in/out of Charleston(?) I would think the ship's servicing/re-stocking will done in Charleston. If true, this should create hundreds of jobs, albeit not great paying ones.

I think this is great news. It will be great news also when the passenger terminal is remodeled

and the surrounding area is re-worked. That existing terminal is an embassrement.

I wonder how many jobs will be created by having a steady flow of cruises in/out of Charleston(?) I would think the ship's servicing/re-stocking will done in Charleston. If true, this should create hundreds of jobs, albeit not great paying ones.

I agree...I would think they'd want to build a beautiful terminal that can center the redevelopment of that part of the waterfront...they have those nice new condos nearby on Concord Street....

If anything, that many more tourists will help the hotels stay packed and restaraunts and shops filled w/ customers...

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The new SPA plan is detailed in the link. They are looking to start soon, which is great. The SPA seems to be doing a good job of getting community buy-in.

Union Pier plans to remake Cruise terminal

This is exciting news but not sure how plans will work out. When the Chas Conservation League and NIMBYS get involved, things start to get mucked-up. Do wish the SPA was using

design talent.

I couldn't get the above link to load - but this is probably the same link:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/sep/03/plan-for-waterfront-unveiled/

They have a master planner? What do you mean by design talent?

I meant to write "local design talent" - being an architectural/design company based in SC. SCPA has selected NY-based Cooper, Robertson & Assoc as the designer, which has designed several projects in Charleston, including the Charleston Visitors Center.

I meant to write "local design talent" - being an architectural/design company based in SC. SCPA has selected NY-based Cooper, Robertson & Assoc as the designer, which has designed several projects in Charleston, including the Charleston Visitors Center.

Well I'm getting confused about which company is designing the project. Latest update in the P&C today says CH2M Hill has been awarded the design contract.

http://www.postandco...al-design-firm/

• 9 months later...

A long-simmering controversy over the impact of cruise ship visitors in Charleston heated up this week, with the National Trust for Historic Preservation placing the city under a new "watch" status and a group of community activists suing Carnival Cruise Lines for violating local and state laws. "We're trying to strike a balance by recognizing the terrific preservation work that Charleston has done in the past, but also signaling that we're very concerned about the impact of cruise ship tourism," said Trust president Stephanie Meeks, adding that the organization is willing to help find a balanced solution.

• 1 month later...

Here's the latest design drawing for the cruise terminal presented today by the SPA:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/jul/18/ports-authority-reveals-cruise-terminal-design-det/

I like the conceptual drawing other than all the surface parking. I wish the SPA would find the funding to build a parking deck instead of using surface parking. Think of the land that could be used for other purposes.

Archived