More houseing to be built at 2nd and Walnut St.

flith

An article in the Timesfreepress states that Chattanooga Downtown Redevelopment Corp owns the land around that intersection and has asked Rivercity Co. to get proposals for the development of apartments and townhomes.

The apartment complex will be one of the largest ever in the central city. 100-200 units with parking, it is thought that many residents from Cameron Hill/The Grandview would consider living there. There will also be 2000 sq feet of retail, and 22 townhomes.

My guess is that the census projections for the downtown population growth from 2000 (very little) are going to end up being off by quite a bit with all of the new development on the river front since then.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You left out some other interesting parts, such as:

"At Fourth Street and Georgia Avenue, two businessmen are planning a six-story office and condominium complex on the site of the Hamilton County Election Commission offices, which will move later this year to new facilities on Amnicola Highway."

And:

"On the North Shore, one condominium project is under way on Frazier Avenue, and three more are planned nearby."

Heres a link to the story, I think.

This is outstanding news. The downtown housing momentum in Chattanooga continues. When this project is completed, along with the second phase Museum Bluffs project and the other completed projects, there will be about 1000 new housing units planned or under construction in downtown Chattanooga. Many of them are along the river, on both North and South shores. Before long we will have all of these projects providing housing, a greater population and even more vibrancy to the Chattanooga waterfront (this list is only partial):

1st and Market...................20 units

600 River Street Phase I.....30 units

600 River Street Phase II....32 units

Cherry Street Townhomes...14 units

Museum Bluffs Phase I .......20 units (retail too)

Museum Bluffs Phase II.....107 units

Frazier Place......................12 units (retail too)

Northshore Project...............6 units (retail & office too)

River Pier Landing..............18 units (retail too)

417 on Frazier....................12 units

One North Shore Phase I...100 units

One North Shore Phase II..100 units

Second and Walnut...........100 to 200 units (just announced)

This does not includ numerous projects in other ares of downtown. The projects seem to be announced on a regular basis, and the size of the projects seems to be incresing as well. Good times indeed in downtown Chattanooga! :yahoo:

You left out some other interesting parts, such as:

"At Fourth Street and Georgia Avenue, two businessmen are planning a six-story office and condominium complex on the site of the Hamilton County Election Commission offices, which will move later this year to new facilities on Amnicola Highway."

And:

"On the North Shore, one condominium project is under way on Frazier Avenue, and three more are planned nearby."

Heres a link to the story, I think.

I left that out because it is a separate project announced last year. I thought hankster had mentioned it somwhere else at one time.

Her's an updated list based on news I missed in the yesterday's story in the Times Free Press.

1st and Market...................20 units

600 River Street Phase I.....30 units

600 River Street Phase II....32 units

Cherry Street Townhomes...14 units

Museum Bluffs Phase I .......27 units (retail too)

Museum Bluffs Phase II.....107 units

Frazier Place......................12 units (retail too)

Northshore Project...............6 units (retail & office too)

River Pier Landing..............18 units (retail too)

417 on Frazier....................12 units

One North Shore Phase I...100 units

One North Shore Phase II..100 units

Second and Walnut...........100 to 200 units (just announced)

Fourth and Georgia...............? units (six story office & condos)

Has anyone heard how many condo units are included in the Fourth & Georgia project?

• 2 weeks later...

Hankster, what a coincidence!!

I was up in Chattanooga today and walked past a paper box and I saw the front page of the CTFP. It had a tag "Condo-Mania" and the caption mentioned that the Walnut Street project would be 100-200 apartments. Now that I know where that area is, I think it would be a ripe area for retail too... as sort of an extension of the Bluff View Arts District. Those Museum Bluffs projects look very nice. And those brownstones look so good... they actually look like they've been there for 100 years (if they weren't so clean).

• 2 weeks later...

Hankster, what a coincidence!!

I was up in Chattanooga today and walked past a paper box and I saw the front page of the CTFP. It had a tag "Condo-Mania" and the caption mentioned that the Walnut Street project would be 100-200 apartments. Now that I know where that area is, I think it would be a ripe area for retail too... as sort of an extension of the Bluff View Arts District. Those Museum Bluffs projects look very nice. And those brownstones look so good... they actually look like they've been there for 100 years (if they weren't so clean).

This whole area will be awesome once this project and the Museum Bluffs projects are completed along with all the other completed projects. An entire neighborhood of beautiful midrise condos and apartments with plenty of retail, parks, ansd restaurants easily walked to in any direction. In my opinion it could end up being one of the finest urban neighborhoods in the state. I can't wait to show this off at the forum meet on August 12th.

• 3 months later...

An article in the Timesfreepress states that Chattanooga Downtown Redevelopment Corp owns the land around that intersection and has asked Rivercity Co. to get proposals for the development of apartments and townhomes.

The apartment complex will be one of the largest ever in the central city. 100-200 units with parking, it is thought that many residents from Cameron Hill/The Grandview would consider living there. There will also be 2000 sq feet of retail, and 22 townhomes.

My guess is that the census projections for the downtown population growth from 2000 (very little) are going to end up being off by quite a bit with all of the new development on the river front since then.

Urban Renaissance's proposal has been chosen for the townhome project. Here are a couple of images from the proposal. 22 Townhomes will be built starting next spring prices start in the mid $500's and go over $1 million.

$9.3 mil Walnut Commons Apartments

Apts.jpg

$18 mil Walnut Hill Townhomes

Townhomes.jpg

• 3 years later...

Archived